• Sad
Reactions: mathew77

MightySashiman

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
May I rephrase my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong:
  • dev can't opensource DBI because some "lib" doesn't allow for opensourcing. I've yet to see any closed source lib and licence that prohibits from opensourcing an app that relies on it as a whole. If a lib is closed source, don't provide the source to it (if it's even available in the first place), just compile your app in a way that closed source lib is just an external dependency that the user needs to provide on their own.
  • The alternative explanation I can imagine is the code relative to MTP transfer was reverseengineered from N* and includes some crypto keys. Well again, by being a little smarter than the yuzu team, let the user figure out how to provide this material.
  • Last alternative I see is that the MTP related code in DBI is straight up theft from leaked proprietary code, and the very fact this code is in DBI could endanger someone with ties to N* (seems pretty farfetch). But in which case, N* is bound to have taken a look into DBI already anyway and if data allowing to identify a leaker was indeed used, wouldn't they already have found it?

DBI is primarily used for piracy purpose (let's drop the bullshit one minute). Since when piracy apps care for IP and licences in the first place?

The explanation feels really dodgy. A pity (and frankly a shame a hard work going down the drain).

missed the part about the UI part being proprietary code from dev. Just search-replace function calls to dev's UI lib with some pseudocode and don't distribute your UI lib either in bin or source code. The community will reemplement the UI some other way (we might even get a lift-up to a more native-horizonOS looking one). DBI open source code doesn't even have to be in a buildable state. What is the big deal?

Last edited by MightySashiman,
Reactions: [Truth]

MightySashiman

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It's extra work for free
it wasn't a commercial endeavour in the first place... how does this make sense?

entitled community who can't even properly appreciate it
what the hell are you talking about? people use it, at least I am an all the people reporting issues... what entitlement are you talking about? should users not report bugs? just silently enjoy what is there and never speak up? how is begging for the legacy to be able to live on not showing love to the app?

If by entitlement you're refering to the average age of the user and the unfortunate entitlement kids these days have towards anything, well then, that's unfortunately what come's with working in the Nintendo scene, and more broadly in any video game scene... The vita scene has its faire share of entitlement too. any video game, even the most retro platforms have a mix of entitlement and dogmatism. Heck, any software related community has this kind of shit. When it's not freeloading users, it's paying clients bitching over project scope, compression miles stones, and expecting no budget overshoot, because you know, agility.

edit: I'm a pretty late into the nx scene (only mid 2023). probably i missed some drama.

edit: I disagree with the de dev's arguments ; that does not mean I do not respect the dev, their work, and in the end their will (even though it's a damn shame).

Last edited by MightySashiman,
Reactions: [Truth]

MightySashiman

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Well, you just gave me a pretty good example of that
  • Saying "it's a real pity, a shame, it was a brilliant app, please dev allow the community to make it live on" is not entitlement, it's gratitude and aknowledgement of the dev's work so good it ended up baked into users' habits as the go-to reference tool. how is that "can't even properly appreciate it"?
  • Entitlement would be "dev: you lazy ass, get back to work, you OWE us to keep working on it".
Please don't wave the entitlement card unncessarily.

Reactions: mathew77

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.etonline.com/daniel-radcliffe-reacts-to-harry-potter-reboot-series-offers-advice-excl...