1. 8,695

Front-page
    header (1).jpg

The lead director and writer for Days Gone has some hot takes to share with the internet. John Garvin, who has since left Bend Studio following the release of Days Gone, appeared on a YouTube interview with fellow PlayStation game dev David Jaffe, known for his work directing the original God of War. The two spent over four hours discussing the games industry, the current direction of PlayStation, and other topics, with one such moment of which focused on Garvin's thoughts regarding the sales performance of Days Gone, and why it likely will not be getting a sequel any time soon.

He began his commentary (2:42:00 in the video) with, "I do have an opinion on something that your audience may find of interest, and it might piss some of them off. If you love a game, buy it at [expletive] full price", in response to people in the live stream chat who were expressing their love for the game, especially after having tried it on PlayStation 5, as part of the PS+ Collection. Garvin continued, stating, "I can't tell you how many times I've seen gamers say 'yeah I got that on sale, I got it through PS+, whatever", with Jaffe countered his point by asking how players would know they'd like a game before playing it, and Garvin replied by saying, "You don't, but don't complain if a game doesn't get a sequel if it wasn't supported at launch".

That exchange quickly found its way to social media infamy, as Twitter users criticized Garvin for telling gamers to buy titles at full price at launch in an industry where Cyberpunk 2077 was pulled from storefronts due to critical issues on release. He added to the debate with the following, "So, you do you. If you don't like a game? If it's buggy? If you listen to reviewers' opinions? If you think games cost too much? More power to you. Just don't buy it on sale a year later, discover you love it, then wonder why a sequel never got made".

Days Gone, which was originally a PlayStation 4 exclusive, released in 2019 to moderate and negative reviews, with critics finding the gameplay generic and dated. GBAtemp also reviewed the game at launch, and our consensus was mostly in line with the at-the-time Metacritic average of 70. It also had a rocky first few days, as the game had lots of bugs, to the point of Days Gone being patched on a daily basis for over a week, as it faced audio issues, console crashes, autosave problems, and other random glitches.

Shortly after that part of the interview (2:42:32), Garvin brings up having faced piracy, and its negative impacts on projects he'd worked on in the past. Here, he mentioned, "we were doing Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, we got so [expletive], because piracy was a thing, and Sony wasn't really caught up on what piracy was doing to sales", and "I was pissed about it then, I was like, this is money out of my pocket". He then ends the topic by claiming, "the uptick in engagement with the game isn't as important as, did you buy the game at full price? Because if you did, then that's supporting the developers directly".

Currently, Days Gone is on track for a Windows PC release next month, on May 18th. Has this interview impacted your thoughts on whether or not you'll be picking up the game--at full price--when it launches? And do you agree with Garvin's overall thoughts on supporting and buying games at launch, if only to support the developers?

:arrow: Source

aadz93, Louse, BlazeMasterBM and 12 others like this.
  2. Discussion (150 replies)

3. Zedris

Zedris Member
    Newcomer

United States
    make games worth buying at full price then. just a thought

4. DKB

DKB S̵̜͎̺̔̊l̷̠̈́͗̾̏͠e̴̲͇͐e̸̹̬̔p̵̧̙̺̦̾̉.̶͚̇̎̄

United States
    LOL NO

This fucker wants us to pay full price for these shit games? Go fuck yourself. I hate how a lot of these AAA titles are shit these days, and then the random 15 dollar game I enjoy x10 as much. Fuck him and that shit game.

5. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Make more games worth full price. I know everybody thinks they've got a masterpiece on their hands pre-release, but Days Gone ain't it, chief.

6. Chary

OP Chary Big cat like
    Chief Editor

United States
    Ah, the old, "if it's pirated, then it's a lost sale" ideology, I haven't seen you in a while, old friend.

7. HylianBran

HylianBran Glover vs Klonoa Beach Volleyball: Dawn of Racism

United States
    This guy is fucking HILARIOUS. Maybe he didn't get a sequel to his shitty game because of it's quality. And if it is completely commercial, maybe nobody bought it because of said quality. This man is amazing, and I sincerely hope that he never actually finds out how the video game industry, how gamers, and just how the world works in general, because I really want more of this guy.

8. SexySpai

SexySpai i dont know

United States
    How many people bought Half-Life 2 for full price?

9. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Why buy anything for full price when you can get PC games at launch for $45 from GMG or Humble. And the price only takes a couple months to fall for physical console games.

10. Ericzander

Ericzander GBAtemp's residential attorney
    Reviewer

Somalia
    See Bowser v. Bowser (2021).

11. Roamin64

Roamin64 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Never heard of the game, never heard of the guy. Stop making shovelware if you want to charge more than the price of a shovel.

12. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
  13. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I actually agree to a very small extent. I originally pirated Valkyria Chronicles but I loved it so much I went out and bought it sealed and brand new to support it. But that's about as far as the love goes.
    The idea of buying a game because you liked it on a subscription service you plan on keeping, or not buying it on sale is legitimately retarded. That's probably one of the dumbest hot takes i've ever heard, and i've been on GBAtemp for a long damn time.

His sentiment should be, if you like a series and want to support it, buy new not used. Used doesn't support the devs.

I pretty much guarantee games on game pass make money based on how many people play it, I can't imagine they all share the same slice of pie if a game gets 10 plays vs 100,000. So you're still supporting the dev if you play it on one of those.

It also would help if he didn't make a steaming pile of shit and then surprise pikachu face when people only want it at a heavy discount or on a subscription service.

14. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

United States
    Weird how the devs with these kinds of hot takes are never the ones who made a good, successful game.

15. Digs

Digs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll never understand the mentality behind people believing if you create or work hard on something that they inherently deserve to succeed or be rewarded for their effort.

16. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Has a PhD in dueling

United States
    some of these AAA devs have no fucking clue on how many of their games can be shit i've seen fan games 100X better than official ones only to get shut down I don't even think it's copyright issue anymore their just scared being "show up" by some teenage fans with actual talent

Sumasuun, kls701, CrossOut and 3 others like this.
  17. Chary

OP Chary Big cat like
    Chief Editor

United States
    I think the worst part of it all is that it comes off as a reply to all the people who were in the chat talking about how much they loved Days Gone. It felt like, oh you like the game NOW, where were you at launch?! Rather than being happy the game had found an audience and people enjoyed it, even if it was years after the fact.

18. relauby

relauby Idiot Child
    Reviewer

Canada
    Yeah except he's basically extending it to "If it's bought on discount or played on a subscription service, it's a lost sale."

19. RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing Really lovin' NFO style

Australia
    Fuck off, John Garvin. It's the shitty customer-raping publishers that needlessly increased the base price of games recently, even though they already fucking fleece us through monetisation and loot boxes and "Ultimate" editions and pre-order exclusives and all manner of junk.

I simply Do. Not. CARE. about you whining about us customers "not buying games at full price", when they're now ludicrously expensive - especially overseas. In Australia, games can cost as much as ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS for the BASE game. I, for one, am just doing what I can to bloody well afford my hobby, you moron!

20. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    I did, because it was a quality, finished game. But this game... Yeah, no. Dude can go fuck himself, if he things he deserves full price for a turd launch.

Sumasuun, shaunj66, Karones and 4 others like this.
  21. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    Garbage game, garbage quality, etc? Lmao. Those saying that are absolutely in the minority & I question if they've actually played it. Not enjoying the gameplay is different from it being a garbage game. It was also a pretty big success, enough for get this... a PC port with a bunch of added features and graphic updates. Your "garbage" logic is garbage.

Edit: Now about the guys comment. I'll now never buy anything he's associated with at full price again.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R, Apr 19, 2021
    raxadian and RichardTheKing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - otherwise, director, complain