'Days Gone' PC Version Impressions

GBAtemp Impressions Days Gone PC Version.png

First launched in 2019 on the PS4, Bend Studio’s open-world post-apocalyptic title Days Gone made its way to PCs in 2021 via Steam. A few weeks ago, in time for spooky season, the game launched on another platform, this time as a DRM-free version on GOG. As I didn’t play the game till now, I decided to try it out to see how Sony’s first-party title holds up on PC.

Days Gone is set in a post-apocalyptic Pacific Northwest following a pandemic that has turned those infected into zombie-like Freakers. It centres around the story of Deacon St. John, a former outlaw biker who has turned into a bounty hunter, as he tries to eke out a living day-by-day by any means necessary.

As noted in our official review of the game on PS4, Days Gone’s plot feels generic and often feels too familiar for its own good. The slow burn aspect to its narrative might not help in this regard either. The gameplay will also feel familiar if you’ve played one of the many recent post-apocalyptic zombie-themed games with a mix of action, stealth and survival elements.

plot.jpg

plot 2.jpg plot 3.jpg

That said, Days Gone does include some new additions of its own such as biking and the Horde mechanic where hundreds of zombies can chase Deacon at a time. Biking might be one of the most original additions to this tried-and-tested genre. Just as with Deacon’s stats, you can upgrade his bike’s parts to improve performance and the vehicle not only lets you travel across its attractive landscapes towards your next destination but also save and fast travel. Days Gone also puts a greater emphasis on survival elements as you have to collect items to craft resources whether it’s to heal, fight or simply travel. Indeed, you also have to keep an eye out on the bike’s fuel and occasionally repair it as well.

mech.jpg

mech1.jpg mech2.jpg

What’s most compelling and can get you more drawn to the title though is its presentation. The detailed, open world with environments that range from survivor camps to snowy plains are still stunning and invite exploration. It’s a great fit for PC gaming as this version of the game includes ultra-wide monitor support, unlocked framerates as well as improved graphics such as increased level of details, field of view, and foliage draw distances. You can further tune the graphics settings based on your PC specs but even on a handheld gaming PC the game looks stunning.

Sony’s recent PC ports of its first-party titles haven’t always been the best performing ones but Days Gone’s PC port has been out for some time already and performance has likely improved since. I haven’t encountered any issues myself and the game plays smoothly.

envi1.jpg

envi2.jpg envi5.jpg envi3.jpg envi4.jpg

While Days Gone isn’t the best that Sony has to offer on PCs but having it on another platform, especially in DRM-free version, is welcome. If you’ve been looking to try it out but haven’t been able to, you have more options to do so now; but it might still be worth waiting for a sale.

:arrow:Days Gone (PS4) Official GBAtemp Review

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Too bad my PC can't run it.

My GTX 1060 is 7 years old and literally every other component in my PC is 12 years old. Get constant 60+fps on very high settings in 1080p. What kind of potato do you have to not be able to even run it in 720p with low settings? :P

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My GTX 1060 is 7 years old and literally every other component in my PC is 12 years old. Get constant 60+fps on very high settings in 1080p. What kind of potato do you have to not be able to even run it in 720p with low settings? :P

Some people just have computers that aren't meant to play games I always stuck with consoles until I bought a laptop a few years ago that is GTX 1650 with 16 gb of ram. It can play this no problem but new games that are coming out it's already becoming obsolete which sucks. Mostly due to video ram (I only have 4 gb games are wanting 6 now) and no ray tracing.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I didn't except much, the review score were not great. still I played it, because I love sonys single player games. I think for around 20h I didn't like the game, like at all. but somehow I ended up loving it.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Y'all gotta play this game. If you're into the zombie genre, then it would be criminal not to play this. I was so surprised when I found out people didn't like the game.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i've seen people on here trying to play games on a decade old celeron and 4gb ram

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I beat it on PS4 I enjoyed it, but it seems it's become a bit overhyped since it came out. Someone said it was their favorite open world game on PS4 I was like there's GTA V, Red Dead Redemption 2, Witcher 3, Ghost of Tsushima, Metal Gear Solid 5, Elden Ring, Nier Automata, Horizon FW and Zero Dawn and you think Days Gone is better than all those games? Everyone's entitled to their own opinions I guess.

John4dap

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hands down one of the great games. AcornFilms did a excellent review of it on YouTube when it first came out.

Here is my impression from two full completions on PS4 Pro & PC:
This game was the first PS4 game that felt "unplayable" on the PS4 without an SSD. The games assets wouldn't render in smoothly on a stock PS4. I went out and got a SSD and PS4 Pro second hand just to fix the PS4 experience.

When it came out on PC, I bought it again. '100% it' in 3-4 months. Enjoyed it a lot more (13 year old system with 8GBs RAM, quad i5, and a nvidia 1060 # 1080p@60FPS, XboxOne controller)

- play on the hard II difficulty for your first playthrough. The game is easier than you'd expect and the infected feel about the right in Hard I & II.
- You keep your upgrades across all newgame+. The first 2-5 hours of your bike having less than 2 minutes of fuel will drag, but your bike upgrades really add to the quality of life of the game.
- Hard II allows you to go "detective mode" and see all the loot. You'll rarely be unequipped in most fights, except hoards which you should avoid until mid game.
- By the end of Hard II, you'll have 90% of upgrades.
- Survival I is the game at it's best with upgraded weapons of NewGame+. Looting scrap may be a little short on survival, but you'll know where the best spots are from Hard II.
- Survival II stacks enemies with too much health, I wasn't a fan. I don't recommend this difficulty at all.
- challenge modes is the only part of the game I disliked. They took me 10-18hours on PS4, I hated them so much, on PC, I just cheated them to get the unlocks. Mastering a golf cart to complete a "tony hawk level" isn't what I signed up for.

Reactions: FriendlyPolygon

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I somehow missed this game when it came out for the PS4, it was a cousin that mentioned it and I wound up getting it on sale.
I absolutely loved the game, I wish more games were like this, it was extremely rewarding when we could wipe out a horde. The plot was pretty good and I was emotionally invested, something I can't say for pretty much any other Sony game aside from Spiderman (played on launch).

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad my PC can't run it.
try these operating system tweaks to see if performance improves ...

Post automatically merged:

I can run at 60 fps with mostly High settings with the below set up, however it then has screen tearing so i keep it locked at 30 fps:
  • Lenovo Thinkcentre M93P SFF desktop computer
  • Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
  • Intel i5 4570 (quad core 3.2GHz)
  • 24GB RAM (DDR3)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 LP graphics card (4GB GDDR5)
will try a few tweaks over then next while to see how far i can push it, I must say this game does seem to balance the load on the CPU / GPU quite well (instead of hammering the CPU only) so it should be not too difficult to get decent visuals out of a low end PC

Last edited by hooky1992,

thehawksfuckingdead7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
try these operating system tweaks to see if performance improves ...

Post automatically merged:

I can run at 60 fps with mostly High settings with the below set up, however it then has screen tearing so i keep it locked at 30 fps:
  • Lenovo Thinkcentre M93P SFF desktop computer
  • Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
  • Intel i5 4570 (quad core 3.2GHz)
  • 24GB RAM (DDR3)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 LP graphics card (4GB GDDR5)
will try a few tweaks over then next while to see how far i can push it, I must say this game does seem to balance the load on the CPU / GPU quite well (instead of hammering the CPU only) so it should be not too difficult to get decent visuals out of a low end PC

Thanks but my PC is a literal potato. It barely runs small games let alone big games like Days Gone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto