'God of War' PC Version Impressions

GBAtemp Impressions_God of War.png

Santa Monica Studio’s God of War first launched on the PS4 back in 2018 and on PC for the first time in 2022. Last week, the DRM-free version debuted on GOG and having not played it before myself, I jumped at the opportunity this time around. If you haven’t done so already, I’d highly recommend checking out our full review of the game when it launched on PS4.

For those unfamiliar with the title, here’s a quick refresher. Despite a confusing naming convention, God of War is the 8th instalment in the God of War series and is the sequel to 2010's God of War III. It puts players back in control over the titular God of war, Kratos, but this time accompanied by his son Atreus. This father-son duo ventures across the realm of Midgard to fulfil Atreus’ late mother’s wish which unfolds into an eventful journey.

intro 3.jpeg

intro 2.jpg intro 4.jpg

While following the canonical story, God of War can even be described as a soft reboot to the franchise. Not only is the setting now inspired by Norse mythology (instead of Greek one) and introduces two playable protagonists, the gameplay design has been revised. It swaps the fixed camera perspective with an over-the-shoulder free camera one, and equips Kratos with a magical battle axe instead of the iconic double-chained blades. More than other games in the franchise, this instalment leans more on RPG elements and a cinematic presentation, complete with an excellent audio score. The result still feels fresh while packing the distinct God of War feel with a dynamic combat system, brutal animations and enemies of epic proportions.

play 1.jpeg

play 2.jpeg play 3.jpeg

The ancient Scandinavian setting is also well depicted. Environments are littered with details and characters bear intricate design. The game’s striking visuals are given justice in the PC version. It supports up to 4K resolution, ultrawide displays, unlocked framerates and further allows you to tune graphical settings to match your rig and preferences. Further customisation is available in the controls. On top of keyboard+mouse and Xbox controller input, the PC version supports DualShock 4 and DualSense wireless controllers.

This PC port also holds up very well, and that's a relief considering it launched some time back. I encountered no issues with the visuals or performance, even on a handheld like the AYANEO Kun whose massive handheld display feels fit for such a game if you want to play it on-the-go.

intro.jpg

set 1.jpegset 2.jpegset 3.jpeg

With the game available on even more platforms, there’s little reason not to play God of War if you’re a fan of action RPGs or narrative-driven games (it’s even 50% off on GOG at the time of writing). It’s an engaging title that bears a stunning art direction and some welcome twists to the God of War formula while still being true to the franchise’s roots. If you’re still on the fence about this title, do read our full review of the game which earned a 10/10.

:arrow:God of War (PS4) Official GBAtemp Review

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I've played it when it launched on Steam, using my "ancient" i7-6700 and my GTX 1660 ti.
The CPU really went all out on this game. I've had around 55-60fps in linear areas, and around 30-35fps at the World Serpent. While most settings were on Original, some Low and some High, the game looked absolutely phenomenal and I hope i'll get similar results when Ragnarok gets a port.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've played it when it launched on Steam, using my "ancient" i7-6700 and my GTX 1660 ti.
The CPU really went all out on this game. I've had around 55-60fps in linear areas, and around 30-35fps at the World Serpent. While most settings were on Original, some Low and some High, the game looked absolutely phenomenal and I hope i'll get similar results when Ragnarok gets a port.
Well it didn't run that bad for me on my old I7 2600K OC to 4.9ghz + 12GB DDR3 at 2133mhz + Strix RX480 OC (flashed to Strix RX580 OC).

Can't wait for Ragnarok. I always had this old God of War on PS4 but never played there, in the PC mostly at 60fps was awesome...

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Should have left T.C. Carson as Kratos, hated the change to Chris Judge.

I started playing this game back in 2018 and haven't finished it to this day, 7 years later. Technically Judge is ok and in StarGate Teal'C was the star...but I couldn't stand him in GoW as Kratos.

• Wow
Reactions: RedColoredStars

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto