'Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection' PC version impressions

GBAtemp Impressions_Uncharted Collection.png

Earlier this week, the DRM-free version of Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection launched on GOG. While it’s not a new game, having launched last year on PS5 followed by a Steam and EGS release, it is the first time it is launching as a DRM-free edition on PC. This collection includes the remastered versions of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy which each initially debuted on the PS4. Starting with the fourth main instalment is an odd choice to introduce Nathan Drake’s adventures to PC gamers; but it’s as good a time as any to get a taste of what the Uncharted series is all about, and so I gave it a go.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End introduces an uncharacteristic Nathan Drake, the series’ protagonist, who has seemingly given up on his former adventurous lifestyle to settle down with his wife Elena Fisher. But he is shortly drawn back into that former life when he reunites with his brother, Sam Drake, who he thought was dead for 15 years and they pair up to find the long-lost treasure of pirate Henry Avery.

Unlike previous titles, Nathan Drake isn’t the protagonist in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. The second entry to this collection instead follows the story of Chloe Frazer who was first introduced in Uncharted 2. The treasurer hunter teams up with mercenary Nadine Ross on a quest to find the tusk of Ganesh, the son of Hindu god Shiva.

unch4.jpg

unchr 1.jpg unchr 3.jpg

Both games of this collection follow an action-adventure template which is inspired by classics of the likes of Tomb Raider but with modernised controls. The focus on the narrative will hook fans of narrative-driven games and the cinematic presentation, with fluid transitions to cutscenes, detailed and varied environments, and no HUD make for an immersive experience.

2023-11-24_2321_1.png 2023-11-24_2321_2.png

This immersive aspect is enhanced on the PC version which features 4K resolution, Ultra-Wide Monitor support as well as a number of customisable graphical settings from textures to ambient occlusion. The PC version plays well, even on handheld gaming PCs, and the original plot, stunning environments and fluid gameplay has kept me hooked since starting it. It’s well worth trying out, even if previous entries in the Uncharted series on PC are lacking; but hopefully not for too long.

envi 1.jpg

envi 2.jpg envi 3.jpg envi 4.jpg

Reactions: SS4 and CoolMe

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
...Why move away from Nathan "Uncharted" Drake himself in Lost Legacy? He's the face of the IP - it'd be like a Halo game without Master Chief, or a Ratchet & Clank game without Ratchet and Clank, or a Spyro game without Spyro. Or a DOOM game without the DOOM Slayer.
Or, more recently, an Alan Wake game without Alan Wake.

It doesn't make any sense.

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
...Why move away from Nathan "Uncharted" Drake himself in Lost Legacy? He's the face of the IP - it'd be like a Halo game without Master Chief, or a Ratchet & Clank game without Ratchet and Clank, or a Spyro game without Spyro. Or a DOOM game without the DOOM Slayer.
Or, more recently, an Alan Wake game without Alan Wake.

It doesn't make any sense.
Apparently ESG or diversity initiatives could get you big money investment form groups like blackrock (https://www.blackrock.com/us/financial-professionals/investment-strategies/sustainable), in AAA videogames this is a big deal where it's upfront costs for triple A titles can be almost 1 bilion usd (https://www.xfire.com/aaa-games-cost-over-billion/).

So they do anything to get investments or funding for upfront costs, including hiring companies like https://sweetbabyinc.com/ to make their games more ESG compliant to get investments for their upfront costs. That's why you see all these weird things to remove straight white males from the games.

Making games is an extremely high risk business, you need to get funds and you need them upfront fast.
The developer of Days Gone talks about it in depth, and how if you don't make the money back fast, you're just gone, and how games on sales don't help developers they only really help publishers.

It's all so fascinating how the business works,and how money really does drive everything in America.

Also ESG loans are beginning to collapse (https://www.reuters.com/sustainabil...-overhaul-by-under-pressure-banks-2023-11-10/), so you should expect to see some kind of new narrative emerge in american media as they switch funding sources.

My guess is the military will start funding stuff again, and you'll see more pro-war type content.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Enough said,2 and 4 were definitely the best.4.5 is a lesbo game.The strong female characters bs is semi present.gameplay wise its very good though.
Why is 4.5 a « lesbo » game ? Genuine question I never played the game, how are the female characters in the game
Post automatically merged:

Halo game without Master Chief, or a Ratchet & Clank game without Ratchet and Clank, or a Spyro game without Spyro. Or a DOOM game without the DOOM Slayer.
Yeah idk it depends on the franchises
I'm not alone having the feeling 343 should have made another « main » Spartan and put aside Master Chief after Halo 3 as it was a fine closure. Wish they would do the same with Metroid when Samus is done with Ridley and all, just start fresh with someone else (and I'm not saying that lightly, Metroid is my favorite franchise)

Also if the Microsoft leaks are true and Doom Year Zero exists, then it's probably a prequel which means probably without the Slayer (and no spoil but Eternal Gods part 2 gives the Slayer a closure so he might be done for now)

It mostly depends on how developed you want your universe to be. StarWars wouldn't be the thing it is right now if ALL stories had to be centered around Luke or even just the name Skywalker because they wanted to flesh out a universe and you can't do that while focusing on a single character like nothing could ever happen to anyone else.

So when it comes to Uncharted I guess they just wanted to do that, flesh out other characters, just needs to be done right.

Last edited by LightBeam,
  • Wow
Reactions: SylverReZ

KibaOokami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Apparently ESG or diversity initiatives could get you big money investment form groups like blackrock (https://www.blackrock.com/us/financial-professionals/investment-strategies/sustainable), in AAA videogames this is a big deal where it's upfront costs for triple A titles can be almost 1 bilion usd (https://www.xfire.com/aaa-games-cost-over-billion/).

So they do anything to get investments or funding for upfront costs, including hiring companies like https://sweetbabyinc.com/ to make their games more ESG compliant to get investments for their upfront costs. That's why you see all these weird things to remove straight white males from the games.

Making games is an extremely high risk business, you need to get funds and you need them upfront fast.
The developer of Days Gone talks about it in depth, and how if you don't make the money back fast, you're just gone, and how games on sales don't help developers they only really help publishers.

It's all so fascinating how the business works,and how money really does drive everything in America.

Also ESG loans are beginning to collapse (https://www.reuters.com/sustainabil...-overhaul-by-under-pressure-banks-2023-11-10/), so you should expect to see some kind of new narrative emerge in american media as they switch funding sources.

My guess is the military will start funding stuff again, and you'll see more pro-war type content.
Ugh, ESG...greeeat, adding feminist themes into games - games that never needed that misandristic shit.
Hopefully this garbage dies off for good soon, and I can tolerate "more pro-war type content" if it means other, non-war games (like, say, Uncharted, or Alan Wake) stick with their main male characters instead of artificially dragging a female side-character into the spotlight.

I mean, sure, games can be made with side characters in the spotlight; Ace Attorney Investigations has the main prosecutor, Miles Edgeworth, as its PC, for example, and the Hyrule Warriors games allow the player to play as Zelda and other characters. However, this is often done as spin-offs not directly related to the main overarching story, if not just straight-up non-canon.

Also, it's fine to have short sequences in mainline games, where side characters are briefly playable (as long as the gameplay remains solid, anyway - the MJ/Miles segments in the first Marvel's Spider-Man game fail this requirement, as the gameplay isn't fun. On the other hand, Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations has a sequence where Phoenix is sick and thus Edgeworth fills in for him - that's fun, as the gameplay is identical and he's a great, well-built character).

The side characters should never overshadow the main characters in a mainline game, especially if it's just for the sake of "social justice" or arbitrarily having more action-girls at the cost of a well-written narrative or at the cost of signature male leads.

In short...ESG hopefully should die off and hopefully we can return to having male leads in franchises known for their male leads.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Uncharted 1 man... I struggle to even call that a good game sometimes. It was just climb, shoot, climb, shoot, puzzle. That was the entire game and it didnt even have that great a story. The enemies in that one were just such bullet sponges too.
I think for it's time it was an okay game. I liked the climbing and shooting, there were not many games before U1 where you had this kind of fluent climbing.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ugh, ESG...greeeat, adding feminist themes into games - games that never needed that misandristic shit.
Hopefully this garbage dies off for good soon, and I can tolerate "more pro-war type content" if it means other, non-war games (like, say, Uncharted, or Alan Wake) stick with their main male characters instead of artificially dragging a female side-character into the spotlight.

I mean, sure, games can be made with side characters in the spotlight; Ace Attorney Investigations has the main prosecutor, Miles Edgeworth, as its PC, for example, and the Hyrule Warriors games allow the player to play as Zelda and other characters. However, this is often done as spin-offs not directly related to the main overarching story, if not just straight-up non-canon.

Also, it's fine to have short sequences in mainline games, where side characters are briefly playable (as long as the gameplay remains solid, anyway - the MJ/Miles segments in the first Marvel's Spider-Man game fail this requirement, as the gameplay isn't fun. On the other hand, Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations has a sequence where Phoenix is sick and thus Edgeworth fills in for him - that's fun, as the gameplay is identical and he's a great, well-built character).

The side characters should never overshadow the main characters in a mainline game, especially if it's just for the sake of "social justice" or arbitrarily having more action-girls at the cost of a well-written narrative or at the cost of signature male leads.

In short...ESG hopefully should die off and hopefully we can return to having male leads in franchises known for their male leads.
Hey, I agree about femishit it's stupid as fk and should be banned to the oblivion, but got to tell you that being able to play other characters and see their perspective view, makes the story better, also, the hell you have against chicks?
What you are into is something between you and your ISP, got nothing to do with games, films or whatever.

And changing the steam deck SSD just requires 2 screwdrivers, you could have bought the 370 SD, and 1tb SSD, changed it and had a double the size of the 650 bucks SD for just 430 bucks. Shit happens. And yeah, the SD is weak, at least you can play triple A games by network streaming, instead tinkering with settings, power use, every time you play a game.

Hope I helped you. Now go home and bring your fucking shine box.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey, I agree about femishit it's stupid as fk and should be banned to the oblivion, but got to tell you that being able to play other characters and see their perspective view, makes the story better, also, the hell you have against chicks?
What you are into is something between you and your ISP, got nothing to do with games, films or whatever.

And changing the steam deck SSD just requires 2 screwdrivers, you could have bought the 370 SD, and 1tb SSD, changed it and had a double the size of the 650 bucks SD for just 430 bucks. Shit happens. And yeah, the SD is weak, at least you can play triple A games by network streaming, instead tinkering with settings, power use, every time you play a game.

Hope I helped you. Now go home and bring your fucking shine box.
...I don't mention the Steam Deck, though, or SSDs. Not sure why you mentioned them.

As for the "the hell you have against chicks?" question - I don't like them overshadowing male characters, especially in franchises pretty much built around male leads (like the aforementioned Uncharted, Alan Wake, and Ratchet & Clank).
I'm pretty sure I said they're fine in spin-offs, along with in their own IPs (like, say, Tomb Raider or Bayonetta - where they aren't overshadowing male leads).
Female characters overshadowing male leads in male-led franchises does a major disservice to long-time fans and to the male leads in question.

Fumigator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any performance improvments vs the older dodi/FG/skidrow or who ever cracked it ? seems to be a pretty big diffrence in version number

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto