'Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection' PC version impressions

GBAtemp Impressions_Uncharted Collection.png

Earlier this week, the DRM-free version of Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection launched on GOG. While it’s not a new game, having launched last year on PS5 followed by a Steam and EGS release, it is the first time it is launching as a DRM-free edition on PC. This collection includes the remastered versions of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy which each initially debuted on the PS4. Starting with the fourth main instalment is an odd choice to introduce Nathan Drake’s adventures to PC gamers; but it’s as good a time as any to get a taste of what the Uncharted series is all about, and so I gave it a go.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End introduces an uncharacteristic Nathan Drake, the series’ protagonist, who has seemingly given up on his former adventurous lifestyle to settle down with his wife Elena Fisher. But he is shortly drawn back into that former life when he reunites with his brother, Sam Drake, who he thought was dead for 15 years and they pair up to find the long-lost treasure of pirate Henry Avery.

Unlike previous titles, Nathan Drake isn’t the protagonist in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. The second entry to this collection instead follows the story of Chloe Frazer who was first introduced in Uncharted 2. The treasurer hunter teams up with mercenary Nadine Ross on a quest to find the tusk of Ganesh, the son of Hindu god Shiva.

unch4.jpg

unchr 1.jpg unchr 3.jpg

Both games of this collection follow an action-adventure template which is inspired by classics of the likes of Tomb Raider but with modernised controls. The focus on the narrative will hook fans of narrative-driven games and the cinematic presentation, with fluid transitions to cutscenes, detailed and varied environments, and no HUD make for an immersive experience.

2023-11-24_2321_1.png 2023-11-24_2321_2.png

This immersive aspect is enhanced on the PC version which features 4K resolution, Ultra-Wide Monitor support as well as a number of customisable graphical settings from textures to ambient occlusion. The PC version plays well, even on handheld gaming PCs, and the original plot, stunning environments and fluid gameplay has kept me hooked since starting it. It’s well worth trying out, even if previous entries in the Uncharted series on PC are lacking; but hopefully not for too long.

envi 1.jpg

envi 2.jpg envi 3.jpg envi 4.jpg

Reactions: SS4 and CoolMe

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When this was first announced I thought it'd be the 4 games for PC... Nope, it ain't.

Series went down hill after 3. 3 felt really incomplete content wise. 4 felt like a different universe.

I played U3 on PS3 many years ago and didn't like it, it felt like I was playing a Hollywood movie than an Uncharted game. My favorite remains the second.

That being said, I've not played U4 yet.

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Until recently I was quite the fan of GOG and I'd aim to buy there rather than on Steam. But recently I've come to value Steam Family Sharing and DualSense controller support more than DRM-free.

I just stopped by the comments section to share that.
whats so special about the dualsense on steam ?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Series went down hill after 3. 3 felt really incomplete content wise. 4 felt like a different universe.
I've platinumed this entire series and I really think the series has been mixed in quality. 1, 3, and GA were definitely lacking in one way or another. But 2, 4, and to an extent LL were shockingly fun.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Until recently I was quite the fan of GOG and I'd aim to buy there rather than on Steam. But recently I've come to value Steam Family Sharing and DualSense controller support more than DRM-free.

I just stopped by the comments section to share that.
you could just add a shortcut to gog games to steam to then get the full steam input controller support. and in the case of this game specifically, since its a playstation game it probably supports the dualsense natively anyway

Reactions: veesonic

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I've platinumed this entire series and I really think the series has been mixed in quality. 1, 3, and GA were definitely lacking in one way or another. But 2, 4, and to an extent LL were shockingly fun.
2 and 4 are the pinnacle of story-driven single-player adventure games. Playing those games for the first time felt like an amazing adventure to me.

3 was okay, but there were just too many enemy waves at some point.

The Lost Legacy felt like a boring semi-lesbian movie to me, with astonishingly boring and predictable dialogues.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 and 4 are the pinnacle of story-driven single-player adventure games. Playing those games for the first time felt like an amazing adventure to me.

3 was okay, but there were just too many enemy waves at some point.

The Lost Legacy felt like a boring semi-lesbian movie to me, with astonishingly boring and predictable dialogues.
Uncharted 1 man... I struggle to even call that a good game sometimes. It was just climb, shoot, climb, shoot, puzzle. That was the entire game and it didnt even have that great a story. The enemies in that one were just such bullet sponges too.

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Enough said,2 and 4 were definitely the best.4.5 is a lesbo game.The strong female characters bs is semi present.gameplay wise its very good though.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uncharted 1 man... I struggle to even call that a good game sometimes. It was just climb, shoot, climb, shoot, puzzle. That was the entire game and it didnt even have that great a story. The enemies in that one were just such bullet sponges too.
I liked the first game, but it felt like a "beta" game while the second was polished and simply awesome in every way.

Speaking of which, Sony gave away the Uncharted Trilogy for free on PS4 so I might replay U2 on PS4.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the real question is: is this a technical disaster like The Last of Us?
No, but it has the same BS compiling shades, but once its done its ok.

And TBF, using the debug exe for the last of us part 1 v1.1.2 (i think) runs fine for me, but takes the mick how long it takes to compile shaders.

It also runs OK on my steam deck, but this is where I dont see the point in all of these devices getting crapped out, when they're pretty much above average, slightly better than a low end gaming PC.

Which is great if like nearly everyone, you use your steam deck or the many other devices for emulation purposes, but when it comes to PC gaming, your not going to be able to run many future AAA pc games unless its on medium to low settings, which then you might as well stick with your PC/LAPTOP/CONSOLE.

Ohh well, at least we know nintendo again might copy this concept with its next gen console to replace the Switch, lets see where they cut back to reduce their costs, highly likely again it'll be pathetic internal storage and subpar to last gen consoles to get third parties porting over all its old titles they lacked as usual when nintendo keep promising better third party support.

I just wish I could get a 1TB internal for my steam deck to go with my 1TB SD card I have no more room after filling it with retro emulators.

Uncharted 4 is definitely a game I wish I could have on my steam deck if I only had larger internal storage.

And this is another problem with these devices, they're supposed to be mini pc gaming machines, yet they completely fail at providing you enough internal storage considering everything has to be downloaded to it, your going to be lucky to fit 3 AAA games and be constantly deleting your games or modifying your installation files to try make it smaller in size.

I can bet 100% that nintendo will copy this and be cheap by only providing tiny internal storage and pass the expense onto the third party (having to pay more for larger cart) or to the customer again having to buy SD cards with more storage capacity.

Its ok for nintenfo because their usual recycled shit is always small in size, looking around 2-15GB but the cart will have its base game thats small in size and the rest (large files) not be included on the game you thought you just purchased and be forced to download them to your expensive/multiple SD cards.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto