Sony working on PC VR support for PSVR2

96388_232_psvr2-pc-support-coming-in-2024-sony-currently-experimenting-with-cross-platform-vr.png

Good news for PlayStation VR 2 owners. Sony, in an update on their PlayStation Blog, have confirmed that they are working on PC VR support for the headset, which is officially only currently supported on the PlayStation 5 console.

In the press update, they mention that testing is currently ongoing and that they hope to offer the functionality at some point this year.

PlayStation Blog said:
Also, we’re pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PS VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PS VR2 titles available through PS5. We hope to make this support available in 2024, so stay tuned for more updates.

However, details are vague and we have no details on how the connection will be made, whether it be a direct tether to a compatible VR capable PC or a Quest-like solution with an app like Steam Link perhaps on its way to the PlayStation Store. While homebrew efforts have been made to get the PSVR2 working on PC, various hurdles meant that additional hardware was necessary for that solution so it remains unseen as to how Sony will handle system compatibility.

:arrow: Source

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, NOW they do this? Just bought a Quest 3... Oh well.
Quest 3 is far superior IMO so don't fret!

Also, the more I think about it. I'm 99% sure this will be an official Steam Link app on the PS5. There are too many hurdles for them otherwise.

Last edited by shaunj66,

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quest 3 is far superior IMO so don't fret!

Also, the more I think about it. I'm 99% sure this will be an official Steam Link app on the PS5. There are too many hurdles for them otherwise.
I doubt a steam link app would be made as it would encourage people to spend money on steam which Is usually cheaper than the PlayStation store.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Going by what I've read, I wont be surprised if you'll need an adapter/breakout box to use it on most PCs.

Still, as long as it has Steam VR support, at least it potentially gives a bit more value to PSVR2 at it's relatively high price point.

Reactions: tsam2

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure lets do the exact same thing we did with the PSC copy someone elses code if only devs had thee balls (and money for legal fees) I would want a slap in the face of game corp lawyers just once (well we did win bleemvSony) but this is the reverse of that tbh Sony can't have it both ways

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@codezer0 lol yeah ban a ps5 based on a PC mod? that sound like a legal problem waiting to happen for Sony I think they know better after losing the OtherOS removal case a few years back then again they did put rootkits in their Audio CD's back in the day as an anti burning deterant (which also was a legal mess for them)

Reactions: ZeroT21 and KiiWii

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One can hope that this means some kind of link box and not just a streaming app because having to stream and still be tethered sounds like a hot mess. At sony's manufacturing scale it should be possible to produce an official link box for less then $50, which would be pretty awesome if the eye tracking works ootb with steamvr. Still gonna stick with my quest 3 personally, but there's a lot of vrc users out there looking for a more affordable setup with eye tracking than the current options.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@codezer0 lol yeah ban a ps5 based on a PC mod? that sound like a legal problem waiting to happen for Sony I think they know better after losing the OtherOS removal case a few years back then again they did put rootkits in their Audio CD's back in the day as an anti burning deterant (which also was a legal mess for them)
The fact that Sony keeps attempting such underhanded tactics tells enough about how entitled they (think) they are.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
The amount of disappointment people thinking this would work directly with PC.
Technically not feasible. The display port simply does not exist on PC unless you have a special type of GPU.

Additional hardware would be required costing as much as PS5 console. So how many people willing to spend that?

Reactions: shaunj66

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I doubt a steam link app would be made as it would encourage people to spend money on steam which Is usually cheaper than the PlayStation store.
We are talking about PC gamers here. We already are smart enough to buy from the Steam store instead of the PlayStation store. Sony loses nothing by doing this.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The amount of disappointment people thinking this would work directly with PC.
Technically not feasible. The display port simply does not exist on PC unless you have a special type of GPU.

Additional hardware would be required costing as much as PS5 console. So how many people willing to spend that?
This is why I'm certain it will be a Steam Link option like the existing one on Quest. Whether it will be limited to VR games only is another debate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto