Sony allegedly reduces PSVR 2 sales projections as pre-orders disappoint [debunked]

FnxXrdxaUAA4CBH.jpg

Sony Group Corp. has drastically reduced their sales projections for the upcoming PSVR 2 after pre-order numbers fail to meet expectations according to an article posted on Bloomberg.

The article reads that due to lower than expected pre-orders for the second generation PlayStation VR headset, Sony has reduced forecasted projections for this quarter from 2 million to 1 million units.

Initially pre-orders via PlayStation Direct were only available to those who had registered interest and received a unique pre-order link, but after some time this was changed and PSVR 2 pre-orders were open to all on the site which may give some truth to the article.

Have you pre-ordered or do you have any intention to purchase the upcoming PSVR2? What factors play into your decision? Let us know in the comments below.

:arrow: Source

Update:

Sony have refuted the claims according to Games Industry.

Last edited by shaunj66,
Reactions: Mama Looigi

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess Im part of the problem as I canceled my pre-order, just not enough interest, only game I was interested in was Horizon Call of the Mountain.
I was ALL IN on PSVR 2 until the price announcement. I understand it's good value for what you're getting but a peripheral that costs more than the console just seems wrong and the line up of games are just not doing it for me. I'm honestly surprised this happened. I was absolutely ready to pre-order it back when it went live.

I'll likely pick it up when (if) there are more games worth playing and hopefully an Alyx port :)

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At that price point, backwards compatibility is a nessesity, and it doesn't have it.
Yes that's another shocking decision. I can understand it not being compatible if you don't have the PS5 HD Camera but there's no reason I can see that it shouldn't be compatible if you own that camera and a DualShock 4.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was ALL IN on PSVR 2 until the price announcement. I understand it's good value for what you're getting but a peripheral that costs more than the console just seems wrong and the line up of games are just not doing it for me. I'm honestly surprised this happened. I was absolutely ready to pre-order it back when it went live.

I'll likely pick it up when (if) there are more games worth playing and hopefully an Alyx port :)

Same thing here not enough game for me to pick up one.

1675178018682.png

This launch window lineup ain't that great.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sony Group Corp. has drastically reduced their sales projections for the upcoming PSVR 2 after pre-order numbers fail to meet expectations according to an article posted on Bloomberg.

The article reads that due to lower than expected pre-orders for the second generation PlayStation VR headset, Sony has reduced forecasted projections for this quarter from 2 million to 1 million units.

Initially pre-orders via PlayStation Direct were only available to those who had registered interest and received a unique pre-order link, but after some time this was changed and PSVR 2 pre-orders were open to all on the site which may give some truth to the article.

Have you pre-ordered or do you have any intention to purchase the upcoming PSVR2? What factors play into your decision? Let us know in the comments below.

There just isnt enough of a reason to buy one. It is very expensive and has an extremely small library of games. If it had a larger variety of VR games I could see it.

Reactions: The Catboy

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm echoing everyone's comments, no backwards compatibility and crazy cost.

Perhaps I'll be more interested in it after someone releases software that'll let it work on PC in some fashion, but until then I can't even think about justifying purchasing it.
PC support would result in an immediate buy from me. Google Earth VR alone would be worth it.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am not surprised and surprised at the same time. The hardware is mostly great and while the price isn't an ultimate bargain, It's still reasonably affordable priced (compared to the original PSVR, which didn't come with move controllers).

One of the largest drawbacks is the fact that it's not wireless. Now, wires don't make it "litteraly unplayable" (and can even have some advantages), but if you've ever used a wireless headset like the Quest2 or Pico 4, going back to wired is a tough sell.

And while the launch lineup does contain a few of my alltime favourite VR games (Synth Riders, Rez, Tetris, Puzzling Places), almost the entire lineup listed are ports of existing games - barely any new content, nothing worthy of the monicker "system seller".

On top of that, not a lot of people have moved on to the current-gen consoles (had to correct myself not to still call them next-gen, over 2 years after release) due to system availability (PS5 consoles are still often not availble to pick up in stores), economic circumstances or a plain lack of content (I can't really think of any next-gen exclusive content worth upgrading for).

Reactions: Kioku and shaunj66

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
VR in its current state not the future, Mark Zukerberg is also facing this reality with his "Quest" to make the meta happen.

Unless they find a way to implement it practically into reality, meaning not using huge movement limiting headsets then it won't get near as profitable as they want it to be.

Anakin1138

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious to see if the improved specs diminish the nausea factor for those impacted. I could never get over it in the PSVR, which severely limited which games I could play, and that, along with price, game selection and backward compatibility, as others have suggested, have me in a watch and hold pattern on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over