• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can Donald Trump become President Again?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is entirely false, however. Not to mention your misleading attempt to conflate impeachment and standard criminal proceedings - they are not the same and rely on different rules.

The fact remains that, despite your mental gymnastics, asking someone to find "11800" votes (very precise) is electoral fraud and, in fact, an attack on the US Constitution. "Context", in this case, only makes it worse. Why the FBI pisses its pants is another matter.
Of course they’re not the same - real criminal proceedings take place in a real court, in front of a real judge and a jury of peers, not a partisan circus. Presumption of innocence is a *principle* - it applies to any proceeding that purports to be fair. Trump isn’t guilty of anything until it can be proven. Him being president doesn’t nullify his constitutional right to due process, even if said due process is taking place in a ridiculous kangaroo court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

He also doesn’t have to testify unless he’s subpoenaed by congress, and he (rightly) rebuffed even the mere suggestion of a subpoena as he was president at the time these events took place, and should continue to refuse questioning until his deathbed - he has no reason to testify.

No mental gymnastics either, that’s not what Trump was asking about. What he was asking about is obvious from the contents of the call, Trump is very specific, especially in the introduction. He’s operating under the (misguided) impression that illegitimate votes were tallied and wants them audited - he believes that once cross-examined, many ballots will turn out to be forgeries, turning the tide in his favour. At no point does he suggest or solicit any felonious activity, rather he has trouble believing Raffenspberger when he says that those matters are already actively investigated and the data the president was working with was incorrect.

As a side note, the FBI has nothing to do with the pending probe in Georgia, which falls under the hospices of the State Board of Elections and Georgia’s D.A., Fani Willis. It’s been well over a year and at this point even Raffenspberger himself is criticising the D.A. for moving at a snail’s pace. I assume that Willis wants to keep this thing hanging over Trump’s head for as long as humanly possible in order to dissuade him from running, or perhaps block his candidacy altogether. Let’s call it an “ace up the sleeve”, if you will. If the probe came up with anything worthwhile, we’d know it by now, but only time will tell - politics and intrigue go hand in hand, after all.

• Haha
Reactions: Stone_Wings

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sure he can, but wouldn't Putin have to retire first?
If things in Ukraine proceed the way they have been so far and discontent in Russia continues to rise due to the economic pressure from the west, someone might “retire” Putin before the 2024 election, and I’m not even talking about the western powers, but rather his immediate circle.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a side note, the FBI has nothing to do with the pending probe in Georgia, which falls under the hospices of the State Board of Elections and Georgia’s D.A., Fani Willis. It’s been well over a year and at this point even Raffenspberger himself is criticising the D.A. for moving at a snail’s pace. I assume that Willis wants to keep this thing hanging over Trump’s head for as long as humanly possible in order to dissuade him from running, or perhaps block his candidacy altogether. Let’s call it an “ace up the sleeve”, if you will. If the probe came up with anything worthwhile, we’d know it by now, but only time will tell - politics and intrigue go hand in hand, after all.
Now this is an interesting interpretation.
If things in Ukraine proceed the way they have been so far and discontent in Russia continues to rise due to the economic pressure from the west, someone might “retire” Putin before the 2024 election, and I’m not even talking about the western powers, but rather his immediate circle

That is exactly what I think, and in fact what I hope, even if of course the consequences wouldn't be rosy

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Now this is an interesting interpretation.
It’s actually pretty transparent. The same can be said about the Jan 6th commission. It’s in large part political, I don’t know why we’re all still pretending they’re actually investigating the riot when law enforcement and intelligence services have long since stated their opinion on the matter. No big plot, just a bunch of disgruntled dummies taking an unguided tour of the building, causing a mess and ultimately dispersing. It’s a hatchet above Trump’s neck should he choose to put it in harm’s way, which is why I’m not confident he’d run. Then again, hubris is very powerful. I have my popcorn ready either way.
@Foxi4 I hate violence, but Putin has so much harm. I think that him getting killed may actually be an acceptable outcome to me.
The man just replaced his entire staff for fear of being poisoned, he’s terrified - with good reason, his country is known for poisoning inconvenient people.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukr...-staffers-over-fears-poison-him-report-2022-3

Reactions: Nakamichi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't he an analyst, rather than operative?

Seems a reasonable overview of such things if you were curious. Speaks to more than paper pusher there even if not hardcore the things we have the Moscow rules for ( https://intelligence.fandom.com/wiki/The_Moscow_Rules ).

That said as far as him being popped is there a) likely to be a notable change and b) if there is a change is it going to be for the better? See also pretty much every unmanaged collapse since world war 2, especially eastern Europe. Warlords would not necessarily be a better look, especially if they could secure a nice nuclear deterrent in the meantime or allow said same to slip through their fingers.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because the United States are a republic that consists of a number of states with varied interests which do not necessarily align.
Whether that is true or not, it's completely irrelevant and pointless to the discussion of the role the president performs.

It might make some sense if states actually voted 100% for one candidate, but they clearly don't. So even if there is this mythical "varied interests" then their population is not privy to what that is or what effect the president should have. You can't balance out the multitude of different conflicting "varied interests" that could arise by manipulating the vote like this.

Once in power the president is supposed to be everyone's president and balance their needs, not that the president has complete power anyway.

It's basically a way of controlling the vote by people who are anti democratic.

Last edited by smf,

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have this weird obsession with the electoral college, but it existed to solve the communication problem that was solved decades ago.

How could you possibly transmit the result of every single persons vote from all over the country any quicker? ;-)
Its an outdated concept that was left over from the days when we had 13 colonies/states more or less. We just never let things go as a country because we embrace every part of history in our growing phases to an extreme fault. I am sure if it was not for a good handful of concerned people throughout the ages rocking the boat we would probably still have slavery in some form and women still unable to vote because its just *that hard* for the US to adopt new ideas and more so abandoning older ones.

We are a country that is stubborn as fuck when it comes to changing, and that is mostly because most of our government is full of people in their 50's+ who cannot get over the "good ol' days" of when they were young and they were at the top of everything where as everyone else was under their feet. Honestly I think the biggest change we need is younger blood in our offices, because putting people in office that are so old that its hard to determine whether or not they are senile is a genuine concern to say the least. That said we will rarely if ever see this happen.
Fox news, QAnon and RT is worse. Orange man is a terrorist and a seditionist.
Q was just a *Channer who got rejected from *Chan's pol board because they were sick of his political fanfiction and decided to troll facebook instead which then caused a following of dipshits to happen.

Seriously, all this Q bullshit originated as some channer's story that was so shit that even other channers told him to toss off. When you know thats the case it just shows how bad people are in believing shit on the internet. (But hey, these are probably the same people who probably believed the fake apple shit in which putting your iPhone in the microwave would charge it, resulting in many, many dumb as shit people cooking their new iPhones because of it.)

Reactions: smf

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly I think the biggest change we need is younger blood in our offices, because putting people in office that are so old that its hard to determine whether or not they are senile is a genuine concern to say the least. That said we will rarely if ever see this happen.
There is evidence that supports the idea that people start out left wing when they are young and poor and become more right wing as they get older. There is the problem that young people have no experience either.

So old people just aren't going to vote for young people no matter what & we have a lot of old cranky voters.

I do hope that things improve, but the fact that Trump ever got elected and some people still want him back shows they aren't very clever at working out what is best for them long term.

I hate violence, but Putin has done so much harm. I think that him getting killed may actually be an acceptable outcome to me.

A televised unexpected shooting in the head would be an interesting end, but I'd rather he rotted in jail.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Seems a reasonable overview of such things if you were curious. Speaks to more than paper pusher there even if not hardcore the things we have the Moscow rules for ( https://intelligence.fandom.com/wiki/The_Moscow_Rules ).

That said as far as him being popped is there a) likely to be a notable change and b) if there is a change is it going to be for the better? See also pretty much every unmanaged collapse since world war 2, especially eastern Europe. Warlords would not necessarily be a better look, especially if they could secure a nice nuclear deterrent in the meantime or allow said same to slip through their fingers.

Why thank you for this, very interesting!

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is evidence that supports the idea that people start out left wing when they are young and poor and become more right wing as they get older. There is the problem that young people have no experience either.

So old people just aren't going to vote for young people no matter what & we have a lot of old cranky voters.

I do hope that things improve, but the fact that Trump ever got elected and some people still want him back shows they aren't very clever at working out what is best for them long term.
I mean, I also believe that voters should at least be filtered via an aptitude test to ensure they have not had their brain completely spoiled by misinformation, people talk about votes being stolen or hacked but the truth is most of the issues with votes anymore is that voters are getting pudding brain from illegitimate sources of information and the line toeing between calling bullshit on misinformation and those believing that the capital needs to be raided is apparently a line that needs to be drawn and filtered as shitty as it sounds. That said its not like some of the bible belt states aren't trying to enforce something similar but with the filter working against those who are not white or have a special ID. At least my idea just filters those who are too mentally compromised to determine if the person they want to vote for is for legitimate reasons or are being influenced by stupid internet rumors.

I feel like to vote for someone that will control the country you need to go through the process similar to getting a firearm. It should filter out the crazys but at the same time crazys have nothing better to do with their free time where as those who do not have free time but are mentally sound to vote may simply skip out on it. So even then my idea is inherently flawed too.

I know I am basically sounding like a hypocrite here saying this but I miss the days when the internet was not as influential on people as it is now. It may be a great gift to the world but its helped the spread of brain rot to unprecedented levels. The last two years alone has shown just how bad it can influence the worst in people on a global scale. Its an ugly but unfortunate truth.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, I also believe that voters should at least be filtered via an aptitude test to ensure they have not had their brain completely spoiled by misinformation, people talk about votes being stolen or hacked but the truth is most of the issues with votes anymore is that voters are getting pudding brain from illegitimate sources of information and the line toeing between calling bullshit on misinformation and those believing that the capital needs to be raided is apparently a line that needs to be drawn and filtered as shitty as it sounds.
It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have people as corrupt as Trump standing. If people who voted for him accepted that he never tells the truth and they are just along for the white supremacy, then I could actually respect them for their vote. It's the underhand tactics.

I had someone explain to me how Trump was great as oil prices plummeted while he was president and no oil was imported and so they wanted him back. But of course that was due to covid 2020 lockdowns & not Trump. He has in effect become a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1