• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden turns 81 today

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe Biden is the oldest president to occupy the oval office, and today gains one more year to reach the age of 81

If Biden were to be reelected he would be 86 at the end of his second term in office. The previous record holder for oldest president was Ronald Reagan at 77

Biden's likely challenger in 2024 Donald Trump is 77 himself - meaning he would also be in his 80s at the end of any potential second presidential term

Voters are increasingly concerned about the advanced age of the US' paramount leader with only some 39% of voters saying Biden is mentally sharp enough to be president

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/bi...s-age-weigh-re-election-prospects-2023-11-20/

• Wow
Reactions: AncientBoi

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Both Chinese and BFF Ruski they feel so safe that The most powerful position on planet is holded by a Dementia oldman who may or may not aware how he get to live in the Withe house.
We must have Trump back ASAP!

• Angry

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm ok with Biden. But his age does concern me. :(
Post automatically merged:

Both Chinese and BFF Ruski they feel so safe that The most powerful position on planet is holded by a Dementia oldman who may or may not aware how he get to live in the Withe house.
We must have Trump back ASAP!

middle finger.JPG
tRuMp
middle finger.JPG

Last edited by AncientBoi,
Reactions: Xzi

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure anyone thinks Biden's age is beneficial. However, a few things to bear in mind:

One is that the president does not run the government alone and has a huge staff of advisors and others that carry the majority of the workload. Two is that political choices are almost always between the lesser of two (or more) evils, and Trump is obviously even less fit to hold political office, with a slew of criminal charges, zero ethics, a vindictive streak miles-wide, and dubious mental capacity. Many would love the option to vote for a younger Democrat. But the real world doesn't always make such wishes come true....

Reactions: Xzi and KingVamp

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure anyone thinks Biden's age is beneficial. However, a few things to bear in mind:

One is that the president does not run the government alone and has a huge staff of advisors and others that carry the majority of the workload. Two is that political choices are almost always between the lesser of two (or more) evils, and Trump is obviously even less fit to hold political office, with a slew of criminal charges, zero ethics, a vindictive streak miles-wide, and dubious mental capacity. Many would love the option to vote for a younger Democrat. But the real world doesn't always make such wishes come true....

Trump is also a rapist, determined by a court of law.

Speaks volumes about anyone willing to vote for him after that.

Reactions: AncientBoi and Xzi

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am in favor of reasonable age limits. I prefer younger politicians overall, not just for the Presidency. However, age is not the priority in this particular election, not only because both likely options are old but because something more important than age separates them.

One believes in democracy and the other is a twice-impeached, 4-times-indicted wannabe fascist dictator whose only interest in being the president again is abusing the position to avoid prison and to exact revenge on his political opponents.

Reactions: Xzi and KingVamp

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not from States, so i care US election as much as 2022 snow, but all Trumper hater must know that: Election isn't just a popular game which you all choose from a pile of turds, which turd is better than the others?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
People can say they're concerned with the age of candidates all they want, it won't make any difference until they start voting like it. Bernie and Biden absolutely dominated the 2020 Democratic primary, and nobody besides Trump has more than 10% support in the Republican primary. Democrats value previous governmental experience and Republicans value uhh...misguided and impotent geriatric rage.

• Haha

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People can say they're concerned with the age of candidates all they want, it won't make any difference until they start voting like it. Bernie and Biden absolutely dominated the 2020 Democratic primary, and nobody besides Trump has more than 10% support in the Republican primary. Democrats value previous governmental experience and Republicans value uhh...misguided and impotent geriatric rage.
You make a good point. While I voted for Biden in spite of his age because the alternative of a republican (especially Trump) was so much worse, Bernie's age never occurred to me at all and he was my first choice in the primary. I guess I care about age to an extent, but I put other factors higher on the priority list, with policy position and credibility being the #1 issues for me.

Reactions: Xzi

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair 4 years is a long time at that age, and Biden is getting older every day

When he was elected he was under 80

At 81, his average life expectancy is to live to 89 (half will die before that age)

He would end his presidency at 86 - there is a good chance he dies in office. Is that responsible?

I know the situation we're in is not great, but it's not hard to understand the worry here

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To be fair 4 years is a long time at that age, and Biden is getting older every day

When he was elected he was under 80

At 81, his average life expectancy is to live to 89 (half will die before that age)

He would end his presidency at 86 - there is a good chance he dies in office. Is that responsible?

I know the situation we're in is not great, but it's not hard to understand the worry here
Biden gets the best of everything where his healthcare is concerned, and he exercises regularly. Seems like he'll easily reach 95+, but on the off chance he doesn't, that's precisely why we elect a ticket of president and vice-president. Hard to see the Democrats throwing away incumbent advantage to chase an unproven candidate instead, especially since polls are tightening the closer we get to 2024.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Biden gets the best of everything where his healthcare is concerned, and he exercises regularly. Seems like he'll easily reach 95+, but on the off chance he doesn't, that's precisely why we elect a ticket of president and vice-president. Hard to see the Democrats throwing away incumbent advantage to chase an unproven candidate instead, especially since polls are tightening the closer we get to 2024.
Typically the chance the president dies in office is not thought to be very high, but despite all that you said his chance is still likely double digits

That becomes a problem when you run with an unpopular VP like Kamala

I really like Biden, but would hate to have president Kamala...

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Typically the chance the president dies in office is not thought to be very high, but despite all that you said his chance is still likely double digits

I really like Biden, but would hate to have president Kamala...
I don't like the idea of president Harris either but there's nobody else really... and giving up the incumbency advantage would be foolish. It would almost be like validating the nonsense republicans have been spewing. And obviously there's nobody better on the republican side. The Republican party is the party of Trump now and ignoring all the problems with Republican/Trump ideology, he is not much younger than Biden while simultaneously being in much worse physical condition.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what nation keeps voting in old perverted men that are supposed to be packing to live in the old folks home, demented and senile yet hello, lets put them in charge of one of the biggest nations in the world with dictator powers to launch nukes at any fucker.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
what nation keeps voting in old perverted men that are supposed to be packing to live in the old folks home, demented and senile yet hello, lets put them in charge of one of the biggest nations in the world with dictator powers to launch nukes at any fucker.
That's why USA is f**cked and with a diversity hire VP that's missing in action no wonder the world is going to pot and the US looks weak and corrupt on the world stage. Still if you vote for corrupt retards to run your country, what else did you expect would happen?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nobody's immune to the randomness of the universe, and any man older than 60 can suddenly drop dead on any given day. A close race is better for ratings, so I can't help but feel that the media is trying to make age a bigger deal than it actually is to offset Trump's many, many weaknesses. As if "old" is the equivalent of "convicted felon/insurrectionist guaranteed to end democracy."

As opposed to the Taylor Swift-sized crowds that a man like Mike Pence draws in? :D

Still if you vote for corrupt retards to run your country, what else did you expect would happen?
You thought Boris fucking Johnson was capable of improving things in your country when he wasn't even capable of combing his hair. Maybe sit this one out.

Last edited by Xzi,

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Biden's age isn't concerning. People age differently. Betty White was still sharp at age 99.

What's concerning is how often the old fool falls down, falls up, wanders around stage trying to leave, makes up words out of whole cloth, gives terrorists supporting countries billions of dollars, allows the border to be held wide open so terrorists can just walk on in, supports an authoritarian who cancels elections, makes opposing political parties illegal and infringes on rights of the citizens, and tried everything in his power to get us into World War III with Russia.

Other than all of that and more, we're doing swell. Gotta love the 400+ days of vacation already too.

Reactions: mrdude

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone