Homebrew braindump prerelease - dump game contents on any system version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the first post.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Redownload the braindump binary; I uploaded a new prerelease which improves dumping speed.
  1. Uninstall any OR/AS updates you have installed on your 3DS. This is not necessary if you're running the hack through HANS, since HANS currently doesn't read/respect game updates.
  2. Click the banner at the top of this thread or the link at the bottom to download the .zip file for the hack you want to play.
  3. Obtain a .3ds ROM of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. I can't help you here, try Google or use Gateway/CFW (9.2 or lower only) to rip your retail cartridge. If you're above system menu version 9.2, you can useBraindump for your retail cartridge. Don't use any "Online Patched" (.3dz) ROMs.
  4. Decrypt your ROM. We'll be using this method and these tools. I recommend using the rxTools (no xorpads) method. You can also do this with a .cia ROM if you prefer to use .cia files.
  5. Unpack your ROM using HackingToolkit.bat. Enter "D" (no quotes) and tell it the name of your ROM file. Your ROM file needs to be in the Pack Hack folder.
  6. Drag the files in the "Distribution" folder you downloaded into the Pack Hack folder. Let it overwrite everything. If your "Distribution" folder doesn't have an "exe" folder, you have an old version of the ROM hack and need to redownload.
How can we decrypt the roms if it just dumps the file systems.

• Install Homebrew on your 3DS. A console on version 10.2 or lower is required.
  • Run "romfs builder.exe" and point it at the "rom" folder, save the resulting file as "romfs.bin".
  • Open "romfs.bin" in a hex editor (I recommend HxD) and delete up to line FF0. The region you are deleting should start at the first line and end here. Save and exit HxD.
  • Rename "romfs.bin" to "rruby.romfs" for Omega Ruby or "ssapphire.romfs" for Alpha Sapphire. Note it's rruby and ssapphire.
  • Copy the contents of the HansPack folder to the root of your SD Card.
  • Copy your "*.romfs" file to sd:/hans. NOT sd:/3ds/hans!
  • Boot homebrew, click on the Star Sapphire or Rutile Ruby launch banners, and enjoy your game! You'll need to delete your existing save if you want to start a new adventure, so back it up with Save Data Manager. Do not delete your save with a save manager! Delete it from within the game itself otherwise it will become corrupted and not boot!

Last edited by BurningDesire,
Reactions: kiwiis

Woody8275

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. It just dumps the binary files of the RomFS (Basically the game's file system) and the code. They're not roms in anyway.

It's just meant to mod games that you already own.
So the entire game is not dumped
Is there a way to convert it to .3ds or not

Last edited by Woody8275,

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the entire game is not dumped
Is there a way to convert it to .3ds or not
No.

If you haven't checked the OP. Dumping the files that will work on Citra don't work yet.

What is up for download is a "prerelease" version, so it's WAY under developed. All you can do right now is to dump the file system as a binary, mod them to your heart's content, rebuild it, then run that file using HANS on your own cartridge/eShop download. It's like modding a PC game, you can't mod a game you don't own. Once an RC version (Release Candidate) comes out, or even the 1.0 version itself, we can assume that it will dump cartridges into ROMS that will work on Citra. At least according to what the OP is saying.

Once you have the tools, you can tinker with everything if you really want to! I'm hoping someone can make badass armor for MH4U! Or even a translation once MHX comes out!

Last edited by Selim873,

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.

If you haven't checked the OP. Dumping the files that will work on Citra don't work yet.

What is up for download is a "prerelease" version, so it's WAY under developed. All you can do right now is to dump the file system as a binary, mod them to your heart's content, rebuild it, then run that file using HANS on your own cartridge/eShop download. It's like modding a PC game, you can't mod a game you don't own. Once an RC version (Release Candidate) comes out, or even the 1.0 version itself, we can assume that it will dump cartridges into ROMS that will work on Citra. At least according to what the OP is saying.
What if a game is bigger then 1.8gb (i've heard that is what it caps at)

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Do the math, 3 hours approximately at 333kb/s rate

Hahahahaa no with the old braindump (:gun::wacko::unsure::yaynds::yay::ninja::wtf::hateit:)

how long did it take?

I really don't know, because I don't remember when I started neither when it was finished x)
But it takes at least 14 hours, because I slept 7 hours and it was only about 50% :)

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Oh damn that's a lot of time... well at least it's already decrypted at the end

Yes finally x) And I'm not very clever xD why I tried to dump the biggest 3DS game to "test" ? xD
But hu.. I can't edit anyfile from the romfs >.< Audio files are .adx files which I can't found anything to decode them, and I don't know where are the models and texture files xD

MasterLel

Cooonfusion of da highest orda
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
Last edited by MasterLel,

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
when i try to us ctrtool on my 32 bits windows 7 laptop i have an error message about it not working with that version...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro