1. fertile_ape

fertile_ape Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    hello. No matter what I try through ftp client when connecting to Nintendo wii u nand, it keeps telling me "failed to retrieve directory" error through FileZilla, same through other ftp clients, I can't see the directory folders. I don't know how to fix this, am I ok with just dns blocking updates, but then will be unable to update games? Please any help would be appreciated, I've been stressing out over this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hello. No matter what I try while following these steps, I am getting "failed to retrieve directory" error through FileZilla ftp client. I launch ftpiiu.elf, then enter the ip and port into filezilla. I am seeing the root directory of the nand, but am not able to see anything else when exploring it tells me "failed to retrieve directory".

This has been stressing me out. Should I just block updating through dns? But then I won't be able to update games? Please help.

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    there are two ftpii everywhere. are you sure you have the right one? one is for mocha; the other for haxchi.

3. fertile_ape

fertile_ape Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for responding.
    Yes I am using haxchi, following through the instructions in Kafluke's guide. Then I am taking the corresponding steps, I downloaded ftpiiu_everywhere for haxchi and followed the steps for haxchi.

I tried another ftp client, cyberduck, with the same results: I can see the root directory of the wii u, but when double-clicking on the storage_mlc folder I am unable to see its contents. For FileZilla it reports "failed to retrieve directory".

Thank you for any help. I am currently going with the dns method, but would like this to get working, if possible.

4. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Although you've said you're using Haxchi, have you executed it twice? You need to run it the first time and select your sysmenu button (if it's not the default) to patch the system, then run it again and select your HBL button. If you're only running it once to get HBL, you haven't patched the system, so the directories won't be there.

Madridi and jeannotte like this.
  5. laz305

laz305 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sounds like you are not on the same network as your WiFi

6. yellowsnow4free

Newcomer

United States
    Hi Madridi, I came here from Kafluke's "noob guide" thread.

I've installed Haxchi and backed up my sysNAND, but I haven't blocked updates yet.

I followed your instructions here, but on my Wii U all my folders are empty inside with the exception of "sd". So there is no sys folder under storage_mlc. On FileZilla it gives me an error about not being able to retrieve the folder contents.

Is it possible I missed something? Did I launch ftpiiu incorrectly? I opened Haxchi and then launched the ftpiiu .elf file.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just read the post above and my question might've been answered. I'll give it a try again the next time I pull out my Wii U.

Last edited by yellowsnow4free, Mar 30, 2020
    alexander1970 likes this.
  7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    be sure to run the "everywhere" version of ftpiiu provided on the guide.
    the haxchi version (newer) should work with mocha (older), but not the other way around. still, if you use mocha just use the mocha version to be sure.

Madridi and cvskid like this.
  8. yellowsnow4free

Newcomer

United States
    Thanks Cyan! I wasn't holding B when I booted Haxchi initially. Now that I did that the ftp worked perfectly and I was able to delete the update folder. I confirmed the update (says it's up to date for me, since I'm on 5.5.3) and double-checked that the folder is gone.

Madridi likes this.
  9. Madridi

OP Madridi Card Collector

Qatar
    Hi Cyan,

How sure are you of this? I’m pretty confident this isn’t the case? Or are you referring to a newer released version that I don’t know about?

I am pretty certain haxchi version won’t work with mocha, and vice versa.

PS: You are one of my favorite people around here, not to mention a moderator. Enjoy your retirement, but I hope you aren’t going anywhere and will continue to stick around.

Cyan likes this.
  10. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    I'm basing it on the source's change.
    when fix added support for haxchi, he made a condition checker, so it "should" still work with mocha.
    I didn't test myself, only looked at the source long ago. I'll go look again.

edit:
    https://github.com/FIX94/ftpiiu/releases (look at the changelog's for Dec 13th 2016, by clicking on da206d8)
    https://github.com/FIX94/ftpiiu/commit/da206d887cf3c92fe5fcde8e6668e524b7dc301b

he added MCPhook, it's not replacing it but checking first if IOSUhax (mocha) method is working, if not initialized then trying MCPHook (haxchii) instead, if still not working stop trying (no hax available). at the end of the code, it's still closing both by checking which one has been initialized.
    Since 2016 I never understood why all guide provided specific version, instead of last updated one. users just mix them and end using older version, which is too bad.

: init :
    Code:
        int res = IOSUHAX_Open(NULL);
    +    if(res < 0)
    +        res = MCPHookOpen();
        if(res < 0)
        {
            log_printf("IOSUHAX_open failed\n");
    : close :
    Code:
    -        IOSUHAX_Close();
    +        if(mcp_hook_fd >= 0)
    +           MCPHookClose();
    +        else
    +            IOSUHAX_Close();
    so, haxchi's version check first if mocha's hook method is working, if not it tries if haxchi is working.
    you don't need different version, only Fix94's latest version for both haxchi and mocha.

But Mocha version (older) won't work with Haxchi version because it's missing that new mod.

Thank you for your kind word.
    I was away for few months and had hard time coming back, but I am now. I'm back catching up what I missed and helping again.

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 31, 2020
    nexusmtz, Madridi and Glyptofane like this.
  11. Madridi

Qatar
    @Cyan

Thanks for the explanation and point out exactly where the changes were in the source code.

That being said, I was sure I tested this before and it didn’t work, along with numerous sources saying it wasn’t possible.

Therefore, I just went and tested it again. You are right, Haxchi version works for both!

I will update this guide the next time I’m on this PC to only mention this version then. There is no more point of dividing it like that. Thank you so much for your input.

I am glad to hear that you are back and sticking around. Stay safe :)

Cyan likes this.
  12. gregmurf

gregmurf Member
    Newcomer

France
    Hi all, what if i'm on the last update (5.4.4E), and when i try to see if update are blocked (i just apply this method), the WiiU prompt "Console is up to date" ?
    I did the job correctly ? OR it means it doesn't work ?
    Thanks

Last edited by gregmurf, Apr 25, 2020
  13. Madridi

Qatar
    Well first, latest update for Europe is 5.5.4E I believe, so I think you that’s what you meant.

second of all, you can’t tell if you succeeded or not since there isn’t a newer version. The only way to check is go through ftpiiu again and check if the update folder is now there or not. If it isn’t, then you did it correctly

gregmurf likes this.
  14. jacobsson

jacobsson GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Renaming the folder seem to not work due to the permissions set I guess. Copying it might be better to let's say "update_bak", then remove update.

Then simply just copy it back to "update" it w/o worrying about having the right permissions set.

It's weird that I didn't see this post earlier, It's nice to be able to remove the DNS now (although you could get banned of course).

Last edited by jacobsson, May 14, 2020
  15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    might work, but I'm not sure. it may not allow you to rename the folder (only delete) due to permissions.

16. jacobsson

Sweden
    I missed that part, you're probably right. I edited my post now.

Copying the "update" to let's say "update_bak" and then delete "update" is probably better so you don't have to worry about permissions when reverting back.

I would imagine un-ticking "write" permission for owner would probably stop the system from writing any updates to this folder too,.

EDIT: Also Pinky, just wanted to say that I love all the stuff and guides you've done for the PS3 community.

Last edited by jacobsson, May 14, 2020
    godreborn likes this.
  17. Madridi

Qatar
    jacobsson likes this.
  18. jacobsson

Sweden
  19. cheetox

cheetox Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey! I'm new to this and just got done, but I didn't get an error when trying to update again, it simply says my system is up to date. The update folder is most definitely not there when I check with FileZilla but still makes me wonder..

20. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Which system version are you on? If you are on the most recent version, you won't receive an error.

Madridi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (Without, Blocking, Updates