Block Wii U System Updates (Without DNS Blocking!)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Madridi, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Rathalos143

Rathalos143 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    I thought it was the way to enter in Sysmenu thats why I said it didnt work for me. Anyway I tried without sig patcher and it still doesnt work
    EDIT: Ok after some research I realized I have no Haxchi icon on my menu but I remember installing it in Brain Training. It even allows me to reinstall it even If I can´t find the game. Also no, I didnt install coldboot, the haxchi and the NDS Game both disappeared without reason

Last edited by Rathalos143, Mar 25, 2019
  2. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    You are goin all around the instructions. The instructions clearly asks you use either haxchi or mocha. Mocha is a free option. Once that’s done, you have to use the ftpion for the method you have followed (there is more than 1 version)

You aren’t willing to follow simple instructions and decide to continue “winging it”, I strongly suggest you stay away from this whole procedure. You are doing something to your system nand and the procedure is not to be taken lightly. The way you are approaching this, I see a brick coming your way.

I am sorry to be so blunt, but come on dude..

3. Rathalos143

Rathalos143 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    Its ok I was dumb enought to dont understand the H icon on Wii its both Haxchi and Homebrew Channel. Has been a while away from the scene but now I learnt to restart into cfw and could continue the guide. It worked too, so thanks for the guide and for trying to help me.

TL;DR for everyone as dumb as me: Go the h icon on the menu and wait for the bubble, hold the button that the bubble says is to enter cfw mode while Homebrew Launcher is booting (In my case I had to hold A while booting Homebrew Launcher) If it returns to the menu you can continue with the guide.

Last edited by Rathalos143, Mar 25, 2019
  4. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Glad to see you got it working. Just be careful next time

5. chrisa1978

chrisa1978 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Australia
    Hi I followed the method for blocking updates by deleting the update file in storage_mic/sys/ from page 1s guide. When trying to update it said my software is up to date (5.5.3) . It didn't come up with the error message "105-3012". Am I still alright to go online and update the games I have ? Minecraft updated ok and Cpt Toad. Am I been a bit over cauious ?

6. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    I asked the same thing when I did it. It's fine, it doesn't stop it from being able to check for updates, it stops it being able to download and install an update if there is one.

Madridi likes this.
  7. chrisa1978

chrisa1978 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks and i can still play online too. For example smash bros and mario kart ? FYI If people are having trouble still theres a few very useful vids on youtube to help. I had trouble with one of the files on "ftpiiu everywhere" which i had to replace.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Last edited by chrisa1978, Apr 4, 2019
  8. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    The info you have been getting is correct. This procedure doesn’t hinder any interne services, so it checks it just fine. You are on the latest firmware so it didn’t find anything to error out on.

What this actually does is that, when an update is available, it tries to download it, which requires a directory for it to be in (in this case, update directory), but it can’t find it, so it errors out.

9. chrisa1978

chrisa1978 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

10. alan_mugiwara

alan_mugiwara Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2017
    Brazil
    Brazil
    Hello, thanks for tutotial, but thE picture with values is gone. What values I must put in file permissions?

11. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Ah, dammit. That’s because it was hosted on filetrip, which is now gone.. I’d ont have the picture anymore.

Are you trying to restore the folder? Cause if not, you don’t need to input anything. That’s only in the case of restoration.

If you are trying to delete it, just make a note of what the permissions were before deleting it (and maybe post a screenshot here since we don’t have it anymore).

Also, I am fairly certain that the file permission part is not even needed. It was just some extra precaution from my side

12. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Madridi likes this.
  13. ModdingBird

ModdingBird Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2013
    Canada
    Planet Earth
    Simple enough, Thanks for the tutorial, this worked on first attempt.

Last edited by ModdingBird, Oct 17, 2019
  14. Txustra

Txustra GBAtemp Fan

May 18, 2013
    Spain
    1. PC: Right-click, and select "Create Directory". Once created, right-click again, and select "File Permissions".
    I guess the name of that directory must be "update", right?

15. Madridi
    OP

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Well, yeah.. That’s the name of the deleted folder :)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted