DNS blocking update

Baptiste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

My wii u is not connected to internet because the DNS i use to block updates does not work anymore. The DNS is 081.004. 127.020 named DNS-U i think.

Anyone having the same issue ? I am from France.
I have CBHC hack.

Thanks

DChronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same, both dns servers from the guide. Don't want a surprise final update that blocks homebrew. Is there another dns server available?

Trophies
XP
I assume you mean the DNS Servers being

Primary : 168.235.092.108
Secondary : 081.004.127.020

If so, then yeah those servers seem to be down as they're unresolved address(es) currently. This can happen from any number of reasons due to either the hoster not wanting to bother keeping the server up anymore, or depending on the method of hosting not wanting to pay for it any more. They could also just be having hosting issues, so don't immediately get angry about it.

if you're dead-set on a DNS method for blocking updates, then you can quite literally make a custom DNS Registry that blocks the following URLs
  • nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
  • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • cbvc.nintendo.net
  • cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
Alternatively, you can also just block the URLs directly on your router.

Or you can do as @godreborn stated and simply delete the update folder, which removes the need for needing to use a different DNS or changing network settings entirely. Not to mention it also leaves less variability as a DNS server can go out at any time, while if the system update folder literally doesn't exist, then it can't update. It's also completely reversible, and iirc there's a homebrew application that does it for you.

So it's not like you don't have options.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Still works for me as of Jan 30th 2024
Broken as of Jan 31 2024:
Code:
$ nslookup 168.235.92.108 google.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

$ nslookup 81.4.127.20 google.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
But as others said before: Why even bother with DNS blocks anymore? It's 2024 and we have better ways to block updates: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/block-updates

• Love
Reactions: ChibiMofo

DChronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's almost time for Nintendo to likely push one last update, so I decided to just block the servers with my router as I'm not ready or have time to mess with cfw.
if you're dead-set on a DNS method for blocking updates, then you can quite literally make a custom DNS Registry that blocks the following URLs
  • nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
  • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • cbvc.nintendo.net
  • cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
Alternatively, you can also just block the URLs directly on your router.
So yeah, I set up my router to block these 8 addresses, and from what I know, I can check by going to system settings and trying to update and it should give an error.... however, I just tried this and it still says "Your console is up to date".

I tested my router before this to be sure it was working by blocking google.com just on the WiiU, and the effect was immediate. I had to split the addresses between 2 policies, but both successfully blocked Google as soon as I enabled them, and only on the WiiU.

Are there more addresses that need blocked, or is something wrong in these links, or am I missing something?

EDIT: I just found that 081.004.127.020 as primary does connect, if anyone else still uses this on a yet to be cfw'd wii u. Thanks to whomever runs this.

Last edited by DChronos,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr