• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Being transgender is no longer a mental illness according to WHO

Viri

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But playing videogames is? Doesn't sound right to me.
I don't think gaming is a mental disorder, but some people do get too addicted to gaming. Some people play until they just die from a heart attack, like in China, and Taiwan. But, I don't think it's the video games alone that kill these guys, as they're already pretty much living in a net cafe, you'd have to be already depressed and not in a very good living situation to end up like that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your link is not only a source of TERF information which is disgusting but also highly misleading. Misgendering being a crime is something that transphobes like TERFs and the alt right love to parrot but it's not such a simple matter
I actually Googled it, and linked the first result I found. I knew about her becoming a man for a while now. I had no idea it was a TERF site. That's pretty funny.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Something wrong happens in the developmental process that the brain develops differently then the body in the womb. Whether or not to classify that as a disorder is the debate.

Arguments I heard are...

What is the difference between Transabled people with Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID) who don't want their arms or legs so they cut it off to be happier. Compared to a MTF trans who think they are in the wrong body so they cut off their genitals. Why is BIID a Disorder but not Trans. Both struggle with self identity and both feel they were born in the wrong body.

A mental disorder is something that is disabling. So should we remove BIID as a disorder if Transgender is removed? People don't want to say someone who is in a wheel chair is handicapped but handicap-able, and don't want to see it as a disability or disabling. They say a wheel chair person can accomplish everything an abled body person can. They beat this in our heads over and over with make feel good self help speeches. If someone believes they can still function without their limbs and will be happier without an arm then what right do you have to tell them not to cut it off.

If they are a computer programer and don't need legs to program and thus not as disabling to their life, should we then not classify it as a disorder if they cut off their legs they are not happy with. Who needs to walk to the grocery store when you can order online for delivery? Like a trans who goes through sex realignment surgery. Nothing is off with their brains compared to the masses and not a disorder.
Honestly this argument doesn't really hold much water. Transgender was removed because there was significant enough evidence to show that it wasn't a mental disorder and thus shouldn't be treated like one. Someone who is trans isn't necessarily suffering from being trans. BIID on the other is there due to significant amount of evidence showing that it is a disorder and needs to be treated like one. Someone with BIID is actually suffering from the effects of the disorder and often feel as though removing said limb(s) will cure them. At the same time there's also no correlation between the two and bring up BIID is about as valid as bringing up the video game addiction.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See my "Warning Level" it's at 40%, because I disagree with the op's and most of the mentally ill here on this issue and it's considered "trolling" to voice an opinion opposite to this world wide agenda.

How many young impressionable minds do you think come to this site daily for gaming/modding news and then see and read vulgar topics of discussion like this?????

Why a mod doesn't shut this thread down and delete has me baffled! Maybe they really want young men to go and mutilate themselves and then have to wear plastic in their new slit to stop the wound from healing. Pretty sickening if you ask me!
This thread is in a section not related to gaming, so it CAN be here, no matter how badly you want it to be deleted. And funny how easily you get angered at stuff like this to the point of flamebaiting and then complaining that they censor you.

Being a dick =/= voicing your opinion.

Reactions: KingVamp

f0xrolder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This thread is in a section not related to gaming, so it CAN be here, no matter how badly you want it to be deleted. And funny how easily you get angered at stuff like this to the point of flamebaiting and then complaining that they censor you.

Being a dick =/= voicing your opinion.

ouch.....

but they...the mods keep proving my point time and time again.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ouch.....

What point exactly? Censoring your post? Ugh, there are rules in this community. It is pretty easy to see why they delete your stuff and you have a 40% warning level.

As much as you are entitled to dislike this whole trangender/transexual issue, this forum was constuctred under certain level of tolerance for different view points that can be shared and discussed WITHOUT the need of being a complete ASSHOLE and INSULTING the other users.

The rules are there. Did you enjoyed reading the bible? Then read the freaking rules. Wont take you too much of your time.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

f0xrolder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I likened the trans agenda to the homo/sodomite agenda and to this latest push by the intellectuals(TedX etc.) of this world including yourself that paedophiles were born that way too. And one retard actually affirmed that belief. So it just goes to show everyone how truly retarded and evil some people in this world really are. And yes I'll be censored for this post and wouldn't be surprised if I get banned again for expressing a valid opinion which is on topic. You have a belief that trans are normal, based on no provable scientific or biological "FACTS"/ This is your religion!

Daisy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I likened the trans agenda to the homo/sodomite agenda and to this latest push by the intellectuals(TedX etc.) of this world including yourself that paedophiles were born that way too. And one retard actually affirmed that belief. So it just goes to show everyone how truly retarded and evil some people in this world really are. And yes I'll be censored for this post and wouldn't be surprised if I get banned again for expressing a valid opinion which is on topic. You have a belief that trans are normal, based on no provable scientific or biological "FACTS"/ This is your religion!

Relating being transgender to paedophiles is a classic bigot move. Nice one.

Just an FYI, the paedophile thing is almost entirely trolling to make LGBT look bad :wink:

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ouch.....

From what I've seen, you're just as much pushing an agenda as anyone else here. You said yourself that you'd rather listen to X than muppet Y, this is basically what everyone is doing: Finding sources that will match their own views.

I actually don't know why it matters so much whether transgender is or isn't a disorder. Let's ask ourselves for a second: Why does it matter? It's not gonna make people who think it's a sickness change their mind, and it's not going to magically fix people "suffering" (double quoting because I don't like forced victimization) from how the world look at them. By itself this classification is forever changing as society evolves.
Whether you agree with transgenders views or think that is bullshit (and there are some good points to it), I think there's one thing only that matters, it's that we all deserve respect. If that "agenda" is to try reducing some bullying, so what? What does it change for you?

Now if tomorrow they start yelling at you in the street because you use "the wrong" pronouns, then that's another story, because they're not longer victims, they're oppressors. An issue rising with radical feminism lately (but that's another story).

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a mental disorder, both are as almost bad as each other

One is a decision that involves yourself and your body. The other is being attracted to other individuals who (legally) don't have the possibility to give consent.

Are you really going to say this comparison is a "valid opinion"?
Talk about having an agenda...

f0xrolder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It is valid, and you can't refute the claim based on any provable science especially biology/neuroscience. This is all in your heads, and you're trying to force your opinions on those whom 1. Don't really care 2. Don't want their children abused and be led to believe that this is normal behaviour. So it is similar in a way, smartasses!

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Research (which has already been linked multiple times in this thread) has shown an increase in overall happiness, drop in depression, and drop in suicide rates

No:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0016885

Taken from a Swedish study. The conclusion was, "Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group"

f0xrolder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No:

Taken from a Swedish study. The conclusion was, "Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group"

You can't reason with liars like the one that you quoted in your post, they are here to push an agenda, and as I said next thing it will be that paedophilia is normal and they were born that way. You wait and see, that will be the next socio/political agenda and will wind up on this "independent gaming community"! They have no shame and no moral compass!

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't reason with liars like the one that you quoted in your post, they are here to push an agenda, and as I said next thing it will be that paedophilia is normal and they were born that way. You wait and see, that will be the next socio/political agenda and will wind up on this "independent gaming community"! They have no shame and no moral compass!

It's disingenuous to compare transgenderism with paedophilia. I care about the science and causing more actual harm than good to mentally ill people rather than some weird conspiracy theory

f0xrolder

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No the fact is that it's abuse on a young impressionable mind regardless! Paedophilia has a physical aspect to that abuse, both circumstances are and can be considered abusive!

Last edited by f0xrolder,
Reactions: ipkryss

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No:

Yet multiple studies posted in this thread counter this one study and multiple studies since that study have countered that study. There are other factors that need to be taken into consideration with each study. One of the factors needed are cases like Walt Heyer, who only acted on the direction of his doctors and thus resulted in a misdiagnosis. These kind of factors need to be taken into consideration when dealing with all studies. It's also worth noting that not all transgender people want to have a sex change and often go through with it without properly going through therapy. This is often linked to people thinking that they need to get a sex change to be trans than actually considering that it's not something that they need. There are more factors that this study didn't take into consideration, coupled with the study being 15 years old at this point and social issues have also changed.
But again, shouldn't I also be able to argue that there must be something wrong with cis white heterosexual males? That group has a far higher rate of mass shootings and also have a far higher rate of violate suicides (such as gun related or jumping off high areas.) I think that group honestly might not be very mentally stable and needs be put under mentally ill until we figure out why they have such higher numbers in these categories.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Quantumcat

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Honestly this argument doesn't really hold much water. Transgender was removed because there was significant enough evidence to show that it wasn't a mental disorder and thus shouldn't be treated like one. Someone who is trans isn't necessarily suffering from being trans. BIID on the other is there due to significant amount of evidence showing that it is a disorder and needs to be treated like one. Someone with BIID is actually suffering from the effects of the disorder and often feel as though removing said limb(s) will cure them. At the same time there's also no correlation between the two and bring up BIID is about as valid as bringing up the video game addiction.
Many people with GIID are MTF trans. Especially for ones that have Gender Dysphoria they could be related and not separate things. They both are identity disorders.

Yet multiple studies posted in this thread counter this one study and multiple studies since that study have countered that study. There are other factors that need to be taken into consideration with each study. One of the factors needed are cases like Walt Heyer, who only acted on the direction of his doctors and thus resulted in a misdiagnosis. These kind of factors need to be taken into consideration when dealing with all studies. It's also worth noting that not all transgender people want to have a sex change and often go through with it without properly going through therapy. This is often linked to people thinking that they need to get a sex change to be trans than actually considering that it's not something that they need. There are more factors that this study didn't take into consideration, coupled with the study being 15 years old at this point and social issues have also changed.
But again, shouldn't I also be able to argue that there must be something wrong with cis white heterosexual males? That group has a far higher rate of mass shootings and also have a far higher rate of violate suicides (such as gun related or jumping off high areas.) I think that group honestly might not be very mentally stable and needs be put under mentally ill until we figure out why they have such higher numbers in these categories.
You can argue that something biological is the cause of males higher mass shootings and incarcerations since men have higher testosterone levels then women.
Also Blacks have higher testosterone then whites which is why they shoot more. And Asians have less then whites and blacks which is why they shoot less then both.

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hah, someone could meme the shit out of this... Now that transgenderism isn't a mental illness, but video games are.

I mean to cause no offense, but it is amusing how things in 2018 are progressing. :lol:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hah, someone could meme the shit out of this... Now that transgenderism isn't a mental illness, but video games are.

I mean to cause no offense, but it is amusing how things in 2018 are progressing. :lol:

Turning things into stupid memes is certainly the way to go forward ;')

Reactions: WeedZ

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

Video games aren't a mental illness. If someone creates a meme its because they don't understand correctly what an illness is and isn't.
Basically they are creating a meme out of ignorance. And laughing at something based on something they made up and isn't true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.