• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Being transgender is no longer a mental illness according to WHO

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although this research isn't sure quite why, it could also be linked to the reason why suicide rates are much lower in adulthood. If you've already made it through the worse, then there's really not much the world can throw at you.
You make some fair points, but suicide is hardly an epidemic of youth. White, middle aged men account for around 70% of suicides in US each year. Perhaps most of these have no family to turn to or have already seen theirs destroyed.

Reactions: ipkryss

Aldoria

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Addiction is a mental disorder, regardless if drugs, alcohol, gambling, or video games. If someone is suffering from an addiction, then they are suffering from a mental disorder.
At the moment you occasionally play video games, you'll be diagnosticated addicted to video games as much as people wh play all the time. And that is sad

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You make some fair points, but suicide is hardly an epidemic of youth. White, middle aged men account for around 70% of suicides in US each year. Perhaps most of these have no family to turn to or have already seen theirs destroyed.
With that statistic, can't I argue that there's something mentally wrong with White middle age men? Or can we accept that depression caused by social isolation is the greater cause of the problem and put aside previous notions?
At the moment you occasionally play video games, you'll be diagnosticated addicted to video games as much as people wh play all the time. And that is sad
That's completely false. Addition isn't sometimes doing something, it's doing something to extreme that it literally takes over one's life. People who have gaming addiction often lose everything to the addition, yet continue to game despite this fact. There's more to gaming addition than just sometimes playing video games or playing just playing them for hours from time to time.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With that statistic, can't I argue that there's something mentally wrong with White middle age men? Or can we accept that depression caused by social isolation is the greater cause of the problem and put aside previous notions?
I still couldn't really determine it as one or the other. Maybe there is something mentally wrong with white middle aged men. I mean, it is difficult to imagine their circumstances being that vastly different from men of other races.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I still couldn't really determine it as one or the other. Maybe there is something mentally wrong with white middle aged men. I mean, it is difficult to imagine their circumstances being that vastly different from men of other races.
Again I refer back to my previous statement about social issues. The black community (and honestly a lot of communities) tend to be extremely tight communities and the suicide rates show just how much the tight communities effect the people in them. Honestly from an observational standpoint, most middle age white men end up in far less social situations and this can be the result of many factors. Regardless it seems most older men end up being rather alone or with a very small circle, which can cause depression. Looking again at results of you still see a lower rate of suicide in groups of people who have tight communities, who have accepting families/friends, and basically you see less issues with people who have healthy social interactions with people. Humans are social animals who need healthy social interactions in order to be mentally healthy, this translates into all people. This is the reason why there's why teen suicide rates dropped after same-sex marriage was legalized in all 50 states and that reason was a result of wide spread acceptance and support.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...s-linked-to-legalisation-of-same-sex-marriage
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rriage-see-drop-in-suicide-rate-a7592626.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/taraha...when-same-sex-marriage-is-legal/#38077f53b75b

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whoever the fuck called it a mental illness is an idiot. Being who you want to be is not a bad thing, so why label it as such?
It is a phenomenon, or perhaps aberration, that if left alone frequently, predictable or consistently leads to negative outcomes and a whole host of other conditions, falls under the can cause distress in the bearer of condition or others. Ethics discussions and outcomes studies may ultimately favour certain approaches or cause others to be frowned upon but that is of mild interest here at best. Some things may be aggravated by modern society but you don't not treat something because of that.

I have not read the WHO's reasoning for their new opinion at this point but its initial assessment as some flavour of mental illness, or at least a serious risk and complicating factor associated with them, and thus training your psychiatric types to assist in such things and scan for them makes sense to me.

Reactions: Glyptofane

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...gender-insurance-transgender-rights-1.4764839

If I lived in Canada, I'd do it too. Just go to the DMV or w/e, and say "Okay, I identify as a gurl" while wearing a wig. Bam, cheaper car insurance!
I think you'd be done for fraud if you didn't change your gender everywhere else and it was found you'd never sought any counselling services or anything and if your family/friends were interviewed and it was found you never presented as female.

Viri

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you'd be done for fraud if you didn't change your gender everywhere else and it was found you'd never sought any counselling services or anything and if your family/friends were interviewed and it was found you never presented as female.
That guy went to his doctor, and said he was a girl, she said okay, and give him the proper paper work, and then his birth certificate was changed from M to F. Thus cheaper car insurance. If anyone doesn't respect his pronouns, that would be transphobic, you're not transphobic, right?

Last edited by Viri,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
That guy went to his doctor, and said he was a girl, she said okay, and give him the proper paper work, and then his birth certificate was changed from M to F. Thus cheaper car insurance.
I don't think it would be worth it for all the things that would happen to you because of it. Eg if where you lived didn't have same sex marriage yet.
But now I think of it, I wonder if getting your birth certificate changed would have been a good way to get a same sex marriage if they weren't allowed where you lived?

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
He saves 1100 dollars a year on car insurance, for something that took him a few days to do.
You would have to pay for new passports, new drivers licenses, etc, plus it would be embarrassing if you started a new job, and imagine if you moved in with a partner and they saw your mail have "Ms." on it. I think it would screw up your life. He would have been smarter to get a cheaper car or some other way of reducing his insurance. He probably just wanted to create headlines.

Viri

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would have to pay for new passports, new drivers licenses, etc, plus it would be embarrassing if you started a new job, and imagine if you moved in with a partner and they saw your mail have "Ms." on it. I think it would screw up your life. He would have been smarter to get a cheaper car or some other way of reducing his insurance. He probably just wanted to create headlines.
I would just become a girl before I got my driver's license, and passport. My partner would never laugh at my pronouns, she would respect them, because she's not a bigot!

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...gender-insurance-transgender-rights-1.4764839

If I lived in Canada, I'd do it too. Just go to the DMV or w/e, and say "Okay, I identify as a gurl" while wearing a wig. Bam, cheaper car insurance!

Ignoring the ignorance behind this post, it's not so simple. Most provinces you've got to change birth certificate first which involves several forms and documents signed off by your doctor. These forms aren't something simple and quick like a doctor's note for being sick. After that you can switch it over. Also, as a result the next time passport is renewed it would have be changed over as well. Naturally of course such things can also cause issues if you go to certain countries. It is by no means something simple, fast, painless or without potential consequence. Then there's the other issue entirely of living in a society with such a license, especially for someone not attempting to transition in the slightest.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I would just become a girl before I got my driver's license, and passport. My partner would never laugh at my pronouns, she would respect them, because she's not a bigot!
I can't speak for others but finding out that my partner changed his official gender just to save on money would make me think less of him. It is not about being a bigot or not - he would be trivialising the issues of trans people just to get ahead financially, it seems so wrong.

But anyway I read the article, it was all a stunt for attention about insurance prices. No real person would do that on purpose.

Viri

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ignoring the ignorance behind this post, it's not so simple. Most provinces you've got to change birth certificate first which involves several forms and documents signed off by your doctor. These forms aren't something simple and quick like a doctor's note for being sick. After that you can switch it over. Also, as a result the next time passport is renewed it would have be changed over as well. Naturally of course such things can also cause issues if you go to certain countries. It is by no means something simple, fast, painless or without potential consequence. Then there's the other issue entirely of living in a society with such a license, especially for someone not attempting to transition in the slightest.
I can't speak for others but finding out that my partner changed his official gender just to save on money would make me think less of him. It is not about being a bigot or not - he would be trivialising the issues of trans people just to get ahead financially, it seems so wrong.

But anyway I read the article, it was all a stunt for attention about insurance prices. No real person would do that on purpose.
https://fairplayforwomen.com/canadian-lauren-southern-becomes-man/
Lauren Southern is a pretty qt man, you gotta admit.

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's more to do with depression.

Okay, which means transgender people have more issues with depression than the average person, tying in to the mental illness aspect. Also note that suicide rates for these people shoot up *after* transitioning

Reactions: Glyptofane

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning