• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Being transgender is no longer a mental illness according to WHO

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
That's actually a good question, I'm curious as to what the "right" answer is there

And regarding other comments, so far as I can tell gender dysphoria is the mental disorder, while gender incongruence (gender not matching birth sex, i.e. non-binary/transgender) is what was removed, as it should be considered a successful treatment
I'm trying to figure out if Transgender and Gender Dysphoria are 2 different things. Because if all Trans feels Dysphoric then they are one in the same. Which then they would require some help especially if they want to transition. And the Definition saying not all suffer Dysphoria is a PC one.

If this is true then removing it as a mental disorder is a step backwards for the sake or Political Correctness. And this will backfire. Because how else would they seek help if its something that is not classified as requiring help? As far as i'm aware Classifying Gender Dysphoria as a disorder gets you some government assistance for help. Removing the disorder classification will stop that assistance.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out if Transgender and Gender Dysphoria are 2 different things. Because if all Trans feels Dysphoric then they are one in the same. Which then they would require some help especially if they want to transition. And the Definition saying not all suffer Dysphoria is a PC one.

If this is true then removing it as a mental disorder is a step backwards for the sake or Political Correctness. And this will backfire. Because how else would they seek help if its something that is not classified as requiring help? As far as i'm aware Classifying Gender Dysphoria as a disorder gets you some government assistance for help. Removing the disorder classification will stop that assistance.
Being transgender, again, as I understand it, is the first healing step for someone who has body dysphoria. They aren't the same thing but are very closely related

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So...

If it's no longer a mental illness, why is the medical treatment still paid by our taxes?
Because they are medical treatments. Although they are actually optional medical treatments, they are often seen as a treatments to help someone live a comfortable life. Just because it's not a mental disorder, doesn't mean it no longer requires medical help when/if needed.

I was looking at the definition of Gender Dysphoria and it say's not all Transgenders feel Gender Dysphoria. Which means they feel their brain doesn't match their body and they're okay with that. Is that possible? For them to feel like they are born with the wrong body and be happy about that? Or at least indifferent about it.

If Gender Dysphoria makes one not being able to function properly in society then that would make it a disorder, one that requires medical and psychological help. Like someone who has depression, tries to kill themselves, becomes an alcoholic, ect. because of the Dysphoria. Whether its caused internally or externally.

That's actually a good question, I'm curious as to what the "right" answer is there

And regarding other comments, so far as I can tell gender dysphoria is the mental disorder, while gender incongruence (gender not matching birth sex, i.e. non-binary/transgender) is what was removed, as it should be considered a successful treatment
So it's actually a bit of a common misconception that all trans people have Gender Dysphoria, in most cases actually depression is often labeled as "Gender Dysphoria" because the client is trans. Gender Dysphoria is more or less a debilitating form of being "trans," basically someone who's actually in distress because their body doesn't fit their gender. Trans people aren't always in distress from being trans and often the act of fully transitioning is something they would prefer, but don't see as 100% necessary. It is actually quite possible for trans people to be happy in their body or at least as happy as they can be. A lot end up just going through HRT because it helps a lot with dealing with the societal induced depression. Basically most trans aren't actually suffering with being trans, thus don't really haveGender Dysphoria. Most just end up suffering with depression which is often treated like Gender Dysphoria. Although most studies have also found that transitioning does help with the depression as well, which is most likely a social issue more than a personal issue.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if im addicted to drinking orange juice is it a mental disorder???
If it interferes with your regular life then yes it is. The true definition of addiction would have to mean that you can't go without orange juice Without having withdrawals that cause you to not be about to function correctly without it. Most people that self proclaim that they are addicted to something just like it a lot, they aren't addicted. An actual addiction has negative effects on someone's life.

Last edited by k3rizz3k,
Reactions: Quantumcat

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So if im addicted to drinking orange juice is it a mental disorder???
That depends on what you mean by "addicted." Do you mean that you enjoy it so much that you drink it every morning? Or do you mean that you enjoy it so much that you are always drinking OJ and it's causing acid reflect from having too much citrus on your diet, but you continue to drink it despite it slowly destroying your body?
If it's the second one, then it's a mental disorder. If it's a first one, then you just like OJ a little too much.
Being transgender, again, as I understand it, is the first healing step for someone who has body dysphoria. They aren't the same thing but are very closely related
Well kind of right. Being transgender is a lot of things, being trans however isn't the after effect of HRT. That being said, transitioning does indeed help people with GD.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Because they are medical treatments. Although they are actually optional medical treatments, they are often seen as a treatments to help someone live a comfortable life. Just because it's not a mental disorder, doesn't mean it no longer requires medical help when/if needed.

So it's actually a bit of a common misconception that all trans people have Gender Dysphoria, in most cases actually depression is often labeled as "Gender Dysphoria" because the client is trans. Gender Dysphoria is more or less a debilitating form of being "trans," basically someone who's actually in distress because their body doesn't fit their gender. Trans people aren't always in distress from being trans and often the act of fully transitioning is something they would prefer, but don't see as 100% necessary. It is actually quite possible for trans people to be happy in their body or at least as happy as they can be. A lot end up just going through HRT because it helps a lot with dealing with the societal induced depression. Basically most trans aren't actually suffering with being trans, thus don't really haveGender Dysphoria. Most just end up suffering with depression which is often treated like Gender Dysphoria. Although most studies have also found that transitioning does help with the depression as well, which is most likely a social issue more than a personal issue.
I don't see how HRT can reduce societal induced depression because it clearly obvious to recognize a trans. Like bone density doesn't match gender. If theres any societal pressure they are still going to put pressure and HRT won't alleviate that.

What are the actual numbers for Trans that don't suffer dysphoria?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't see how HRT can reduce societal induced depression because it clearly obvious to recognize a trans. Like bone density doesn't match gender. If theres any societal pressure they are still going to put pressure and HRT won't alleviate that.

What are the actual numbers for Trans that don't suffer dysphoria?
I actually don't have the numbers behind that because I can't find any. Most of what I've had to do with research has been a peer to peer studies, basically doing my own interviews with others. So I should clarify when I say "most," I mean the majority of others who've I worked with personally, interviewed online, etc. I am not a professional, I am just someone who talks to people.
A lot of people tend to be more willing to accept someone who looks mostly like the gender they are presenting as as opposed to not transitioning at all, but this is just in some cases. At the same time your notion that we are easy to notice after HTR isn't actually completely true, meet Buck Angel
werwerw.jpg
Well the social issue I guess still a personal issue. Basically being able to present more as their gender does help alleviate some of the pressure they feel from society.
Edit: do note, I am not an expert on this topic. Despite being trans myself, but that doesn't mean I talk on behalf of the community. I can only speak of the research and knowledge that I have.

Last edited by The Catboy,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I actually don't have the numbers behind that because I can't find any. Most of what I've had to do with research has been a peer to peer studies, basically doing my own interviews with others. So I should clarify when I say "most," I mean the majority of others who've I worked with personally, interviewed online, etc. I am not a professional, I am just someone who talks to people.
A lot of people tend to be more willing to accept someone who looks mostly like the gender they are presenting as as opposed to not transitioning at all, but this is just in some cases. At the same time your notion that we are easy to notice after HTR isn't actually completely true, meet Buck Angel
View attachment 137375
Well the social issue I guess still a personal issue. Basically being able to present more as their gender does help alleviate some of the pressure they feel from society.
If its asking others questions that isn't an actually study. It's just anecdotal not a reliable source on the overall image. Unless its a scientific peer reviewed paper you produced. Edit: As you said you are not an Expert that collects reliable data and don't speak for all Trans.

Thats a lot of surgery just to get to Bucks level. Not many people will get to transition to the same level as Buck. And even then his voice still has female distinct qualities and mannerisms. Buck Angel still had societal problems even after transition. It wasn't until he became famous people started to be more ok with him. Being famous puts you on another level. Majority of trans wont become famous.

Last edited by SG854,
D

Deleted User

She is not. Every single addiction is clasified as a mental disorder, even excesive exercise is an addiction. You can't just compare addiction with transgender. Two completely different things.
But they don't have tv addiction now do they? (or tv distorter)

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its asking others questions that isn't an actually study. It's just anecdotal not a reliable source on the overall image. Unless its a scientific peer reviewed paper you produced. Edit: As you said you are not an Expert that collects reliable data and don't speak for all Trans.

Thats a lot of surgery just to get to Bucks level. Not many people will get to transition to the same level as Buck. And even then his voice still has female distinct qualities and mannerisms. Buck Angel still had societal problems even after transition. It wasn't until he became famous people started to be more ok with him. Being famous puts you on another level. Majority of trans wont become famous.
I'd imagine it's also important how much meaning you put into it, and how much meaning you put into other's perception of you. Some folks just don't put much stock into common notions of gender, some dump all their self-worth into it. I'd imagine that plays a large part of some of the results we see.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's say that there is a pill that could easily change your gender. I can see people switching, just due to curiosity. Maybe some are comfortable with both genders. I wouldn't say that these people have gender dysphoria.

JoeyMacCheese

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So cutting your dick off and pumping yourself with foreign hormones is totally okay, but play too much video games and whoops, you've a mental illness. This is ridiculous, suicide rates are glaringly high for them, showing they are not right in the head to begin with. And it's not because of transonic, we live in a time where you're not prosecuted for it, shunned, etc. Instead of fucking up your body, why don't you fix the mind first

Reactions: aarti

Viri

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's say that there is a pill that could easily change your gender. I can see people switching, just due to curiosity. Maybe some are comfortable with both genders. I wouldn't say that these people have gender dysphoria.
I would, just to get them Twitch bux. I'd stream like crazy, with half my tits hanging out. And then go back to being a guy after the stream is over.

Don't hit on me silly boys! I may have a vagina now, but I was a man just a few hours ago, and will be again. ;)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I am a no scientist even a doctor, I am just someone who talks to people and often conducts my own personal studies for really no reason other than attempting to get a greater understanding of people.
I used him more so as an example to say that say saying there is a tell isn't completely correct. If he walked up to you, you would very clearly tell he's a man.
I was actually aware of these studies, but thank you for sharing them with me.
So cutting your dick off and pumping yourself with foreign hormones is totally okay, but play too much video games and whoops, you've a mental illness. This is ridiculous, suicide rates are glaringly high for them, showing they are not right in the head to begin with. And it's not because of transonic, we live in a time where you're not prosecuted for it, shunned, etc. Instead of fucking up your body, why don't you fix the mind first
it is a mental illness, demonstrated by the high suicide rates in transgender people
Mass murders and gun related suicides are far higher for white heterosexual cisgender males, yet no one argues that this group isn't mentally stable. Trans suicides have been linked to depression, depression that is more often caused by mistreatment. Trans people are more likely to be assaulted (in all forms,) raped, murdered, and basically just end up living a fearful life because people around them are horrible to them. Studies have also found that suicide rates dropped with accepting and helpful families/friends. It's pretty obvious that the rate of suicides is directly linked to social issues and not actually towards the person being trans.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty obvious that the rate of suicides is directly linked to social issues and not actually towards the person being trans.
I'm sure the social issues they face are a contributing factor to the high suicide rate, but going by this logic, you would expect blacks to have the highest suicide rate of anyone yet it's one of the lowest.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm sure the social issues they face are a contributing factor to the high suicide rate, but going by this logic, you would expect blacks to have the highest suicide rate of anyone yet it's one of the lowest.
I hear this argument every single time, yet it's actually not completely true. Black youth actually has a far higher suicide rate than White youth
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-reveals-striking-trends-role-of-race-in-kids-suicide-risk/
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...hildren-have-higher-suicide-rates-than-whites
https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/news-stories/2018/may/suicide-age-rates-by-race.html
Although this research isn't sure quite why, it could also be linked to the reason why suicide rates are much lower in adulthood. If you've already made it through the worse, then there's really not much the world can throw at you. Older members of the LGBT+ tend to also have a far lower rate of suicide compared to their younger counterparts.
Of course you failed to notice something important, social issues. Black communities tend to be extremely tight communities that tend to work together. This kind of close social interaction helps create bonds and connect people. Most trans people end up on their own, often with very few trans friends to talk to and very few helpful people in the medical field. Without much of a community to help through hard times, they are going to be alone and more likely to develop depression. Again going back to my previous statement that those who have supportive families and friends have a far lower suicide rate than those who don't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass