• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Austria first country to make Covid vaccine mandatory

Status
Not open for further replies.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quote from Financial Times,

Austria’s government has said it will put forward legislation to make vaccination against coronavirus mandatory for all citizens from early next year, making it the first country worldwide to do so, as infections continue to rocket higher.

It is time “to face reality”, Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg told a news briefing on Friday, as he imposed a three-week lockdown for all Austrians.

The government has begun to draft legislation making vaccines obligatory, Schallenberg said, but the process will require extensive consultation, making February the likely earliest date at which it could come into force.

“We have too many political forces in this country who fight against vaccination,” the chancellor told reporters in Tyrol, following late night discussions with Austria’s state governors. “Despite campaigns, [too many] people have still not got vaccinated.”

The consequence of allowing resistance to continue, he added, was “endless human suffering”.

From midnight on Friday all bars, restaurants, non-essential shops and entertainment venues will all close in Austria until December 13. Schools will remain open.

After December 13, the lockdown will be maintained for unvaccinated people. A review will be conducted in 10 days’ time, at which point some relaxation of the rules may be allowed.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
<--- Read my Avatarpicture..
Perhaps you should move to the small Austrian town called Fucking. That way you will be in Fucking Austria :rofl2:

89e.png

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
from the people that give you the Anschluss, they are no stranger to going full dictators.
Funny to see people here happy about the government forcing their people with no choice to do something.

also, remember when people were called conspiracy nuts for saying the governments were going to do this?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Better on the Bottom on the Sea,I never heard of Covid in Bikini Bottom.😂
Are you ready, tempers?
Aye, aye, Amanda !
I can't hear you!
Aye, aye, Amanda!
Oh!

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Alexander!
Austrian and funny and beautiful is he
Alexander !
If EOF nonsense be something you wish
Alexander !
Free drinks tomorrow let's all get pissed!
Alexander !

Ready?!
Alexander !
Alexander !
Alexander !
Alexander !

Ah-hah
Hahaha
Ah-hah, hahahar

Last edited by AmandaRose,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Fookin Austria has it out for @Alexander1970. Maybe society will split into two. One that is raised and educated by the government, pays taxes, gets their shots, and stays within the rails of its maze. And the other, will have families.

How unfortunate.

Also how quick people are to abandon "my body, my choice".

It's always been "their body, 'our' choice". They only pretend that an individual has agency as long as they *stay subservient to the hive mind.

Last edited by tabzer,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Fookin Austria has it out for @Alexander1970. Maybe society will split into two. One that is raised and educated by the government, pays taxes, gets their shots, and stays within the rails of its maze. And the other, will have families.

It's always been "their body, 'our' choice". They only pretend that an individual has agency as long as they subservient to the hive mind.
Very good said,my Friend.👌

Thankfully we have in the next Weeks the Alternative with Novavax and maybe also Valneva.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How unfortunate.

Also how quick people are to abandon "my body, my choice".
Except those against getting vaccinated are a harm to those around them. It’s not just their body being effected, it’s their household, neighborhood, schools, and so on. All because some people believe in garbage they read on Facebook. The choice to not get vaccinated continues the spread of viruses and harms more than just the individual.

Last edited by The Catboy,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Except those against getting vaccinated are a harm to those around them. It’s not just their body being effected, it’s their household, neighborhood, schools, and so on. All because some people believe in garage they read on Facebook. The choice to not get vaccinated continues the spread of viruses and harms more than just the individual.

Did you try to Imagine your biological mother being forced to have an abortion using the same reasoning?

Because it's pretty fooking hilarious.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Except those against getting vaccinated are a harm to those around them. It’s not just their body being effected, it’s their household, neighborhood, schools, and so on. All because some people believe in garage they read on Facebook. The choice to not get vaccinated continues the spread of viruses and harms more than just the individual.
How much harm do we tolerate then? Plenty of other things that fall under "my body, my choice" have a societal cost to bear as well, arguably even more than kung flu ever would.
There are plenty of things that harm others and we let go for the sake of allow things to go on.

Also it is all delusional from randoms on the internet? Bit simplified there.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How much harm do we tolerate then? Plenty of other things that fall under "my body, my choice" have a societal cost to bear as well, arguably even more than kung flu ever would.
There are plenty of things that harm others and we let go for the sake of allow things to go on.

Also it is all delusional from randoms on the internet? Bit simplified there.
There’s no reason to tolerate people not getting vaccinated, unless that person medically can’t get vaccinated. There’s also no reason to respect people misusing “my body, my choice” in a situation where their choice is proven to be detrimental to literally everyone around them. This isn’t some social cost nor is a matter of choices with controlled outcomes. Covid is rapid spreading and mutating, the outcome can only be controlled through taking the proper preventive measures, including vaccination, avoiding others when sick, and so on.
And I will say that those against vaccination have not proven their stance to be backed actual research. The most they’ve gotten is temporary and known side effects that don’t compare to the actual disease. Either they provide peer-reviewed research to back up their shit or their claims hold no weight. We aren’t at a point anymore where this shit is debatable.

Last edited by The Catboy,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There’s no reason to tolerate people not getting vaccinated, unless that person medically can’t get vaccinated. There’s also no reason to respect people misusing “my body, my choice” in a situation where their choice is proven to be detrimental to literally everyone around them. This isn’t some social cost nor is a matter of choices with controlled outcomes. Covid is rabid spreading and mutating, the outcome can only be controlled through taking the proper preventive measures, including vaccination, avoiding others when sick, and so on.
And I will say that those against vaccination have not proven their stance to be backed actual research. The most they’ve gotten is temporary and known side effects that don’t compare to the actual disease. Either they provide peer-reviewed research to back up their shit or their claims hold no weight. We aren’t at a point anymore where this shit is debatable.
In your risk-reward analysis there is no need to tolerate people, one I might question if it is coloured by your personal perception (you have previously claimed to be especially prone to such things, and maybe have those in your life that are similarly so). For others it can differ. Detrimental is also something that gets to be qualified, though there are detriments.
I don't see it being a misuse -- it is a fairly trite concept in line with similarly trite notions of free speech, freedom of religion and various other things. Agree with what you have to say is one thing but right to say it and all that. Too many qualifiers and you risk losing the entire thing, and frankly I don't see this as being near any kind of real hardline approach being forced lest humanity fail or something.

Typing on a phone? Rabid spreading is amusing I take it that means rapid.
OK. Given most countries can't manage even supply then third world shitholes are going to be that way for longer and presumably going on there (see also this Indian variant lark and they have way better than most of Africa, Asia and possibly even South America at this point. Might it be said to then be pissing into the wind or something equally futile, and also tricky from a rights thing above (if you are going to stamp all over them in a big way then probably ought to be for a good reason). Similarly the asymptomatic cases and overwhelming counts thereof (if we extrapolate backwards from reliable tests and known spread rates it is presumably a rather high count) does mean we are back at community arguments if we are going that way.

There are some longer term side effects I would place up there with the disease as well, certainly ones that if you maliciously caused it in someone else would cause you to be slapped hard. Rare and percentage balances get fun with if we are doing the maths of sociopaths (or those making the "hard decisions"), but things that exist, though side effects or not is almost immaterial in this discussion (though side effects vs disease can certainly form part of that and a rebuttal, certainly would from me).

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In your risk-reward analysis there is no need to tolerate people, one I might question if it is coloured by your personal perception (you have previously claimed to be especially prone to such things, and maybe have those in your life that are similarly so). For others it can differ. Detrimental is also something that gets to be qualified, though there are detriments.
I don't see it being a misuse -- it is a fairly trite concept in line with similarly trite notions of free speech, freedom of religion and various other things. Agree with what you have to say is one thing but right to say it and all that. Too many qualifiers and you risk losing the entire thing, and frankly I don't see this as being near any kind of real hardline approach being forced lest humanity fail or something.

Typing on a phone? Rabid spreading is amusing I take it that means rapid.
OK. Given most countries can't manage even supply then third world shitholes are going to be that way for longer and presumably going on there (see also this Indian variant lark and they have way better than most of Africa, Asia and possibly even South America at this point. Might it be said to then be pissing into the wind or something equally futile, and also tricky from a rights thing above (if you are going to stamp all over them in a big way then probably ought to be for a good reason). Similarly the asymptomatic cases and overwhelming counts thereof (if we extrapolate backwards from reliable tests and known spread rates it is presumably a rather high count) does mean we are back at community arguments if we are going that way.

There are some longer term side effects I would place up there with the disease as well, certainly ones that if you maliciously caused it in someone else would cause you to be slapped hard. Rare and percentage balances get fun with if we are doing the maths of sociopaths (or those making the "hard decisions"), but things that exist, though side effects or not is almost immaterial in this discussion (though side effects vs disease can certainly form part of that and a rebuttal, certainly would from me).
Can you provide any peer-reviewed sources that show those against getting vaccinated have any grounds in reality? You say a lot of words but at the end of day, none of them are changing reality in favor of respecting those against getting vaccinated.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you provide any peer-reviewed sources that show those against getting vaccinated have any grounds in reality? You say a lot of words but at the end of day, none of them are changing reality in favor of respecting those against getting vaccinated.
Don't need to.
"my body, my choice" is a compelling argument, even if it would be more desirable for them to be vaccinated.

Similarly if you really care you can go look at the list of unpleasant side effects. If they tip their risk-reward calculations into such scenarios, despite the miniscule practical risk, it is still ultimately something society generally says is their choice.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good. Hope the US follows suite some time soon. But I doubt it. Not when the moronic right are even trying to stop Biden's covid TESTING mandate for large companies under the false pretense that they are being mandated to take the vaccine. I think if people started calling it what is actually is here in the US, a TEST mandate, the right wouldn't be so incredibly stupid about it. I hope they start crashing through peoples windows, holding them down, and literally FORCING the vaccine. Fuck you, your body, and your "rights". The sooner the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1