• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Austria first country to make Covid vaccine mandatory

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't need to.
"my body, my choice" is a compelling argument, even if it would be more desirable for them to be vaccinated.

Similarly if you really care you can go look at the list of unpleasant side effects. If they tip their risk-reward calculations into such scenarios, despite the miniscule practical risk, it is still ultimately something society generally says is their choice.
Fine, prove that statement holds up in regards to Covid. Does one choosing not get vaccinated only effect them?
The side effects of the vaccines have been shown to be temporary. Discomfort for a few hours to maybe a few days does not compare to the possible weeks to even lifetime side effects of Covid. Choosing to avoid a short period of discomfort with the risk of harming others goes beyond just one’s body.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fine, prove that statement holds up in regards to Covid. Does one choosing not get vaccinated only effect them?
Even ignoring butterfly effect then few actions ever will be isolated to one person.
Equally in debate it is the one making the radical claim is the one that gets to back it up. Is kung flu damaging enough to bypass the otherwise fairly fundamentally held right over what goes into your body? One that has had innumerable similar situations in prior years too and nobody has gone for that if prior actions/tradeoffs mean anything in this.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh my these comments are a cesspool

I should add, I really hope Germany follows up next. The situation is really terrifying right now with hospitals filling up with mostly unvaccinated COVID patients. Here's to hoping none of my relatives, friends and loved ones have an accident or medical incident where they require urgent medical care because too many people didn't get vaccinated because it's "their choice".
I actually got my booster shot this Wednesday and I'm so grateful for it. Just get the shot guys, it's not a big deal. Or refuse treatment in an ICU. If you don't "trust the science" then at least be consistent with it

Last edited by MichiS97,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just another police state doing typical police state things, nothing new under the sun. I strongly support getting vaccinated (because it provably works), but not at the point of a gun. With some luck the Austrian government will reap what they sow next election season.

MichiS97

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just another police state doing typical police state things, nothing new under the sun. I strongly support getting vaccinated (because it probably works), but not at the point of a gun. With some luck the Australian government will reap what they sow next election season.

I mean, there's no gun pointing involved, only a bit of jail time or, even more likely, a fine but okay.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Just another police state doing typical police state things, nothing new under the sun. I strongly support getting vaccinated (because it probably works), but not at the point of a gun. With some luck the Australian government will reap what they sow next election season.
I support taking the vaccine and I somewhat support making it mandatory to some extend. (Like, don't jail me if I don't take it, but feel free to prevent me leaving my home or something to that effect.) But at the same time, I don't agree with a thing the Australian government did and I was one of the people who compared Australia to North Korea (country exit ban, for example).

So... what does that say about me?

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
is it Australia or Austria? Are you mismatching?

It would be funny to see a politician in Australia lose a election because a domestic Austrian Law.

Reactions: Foxi4

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know if there's a particular age involved here? I can't find if it's the entire population or just adults.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I mean, there's no gun pointing involved, only a bit of jail time or, even more likely, a fine but okay.
Of course there’s a gun involved. The government has the most and the biggest guns. Incarceration isn’t optional - government stooges *with guns* take you there. When the government expects something of you, it is always under the threat of violence because that’s the only instrument the government has. It operates on coercion, and always has. Fines are just as egregious - making that money took time and effort, so you can mathematically arrive at an exact figure of how much freedom the state has deprived you of.
Austrian please.😉
Herp-a-derp, we’ll-spotted, Australia isn’t far behind though, given the civil unrest in Melbourne. Will edit now, thanks.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Anyone know if there's a particular age involved here? I can't find if it's the entire population or just adults.

Ab welchem Alter die Impfpflicht schlagend wird, ist noch nicht geklärt: Eine diesbezügliche Anfrage beantwortete das Gesundheitsministerium auf ORF.at-Anfrage folgendermaßen: „Es handelt sich hierbei um den Startschuss für einen umfassenden Prozess, dem nicht vorgegriffen werden soll, und an dessen Ende Details zu Organisation, Kommunikation, Sanktionierung, Ausnahmen etc. stehen werden.“

The age at which vaccination becomes mandatory has not yet been clarified: The Ministry of Health responded to a request in this regard to ORF.at as follows: “This is the starting signal for a comprehensive process that should not be anticipated, and at the end of it Details on organization, communication, sanctions, exceptions, etc. will be available. "

First decide, then the details ... Austrian Politics.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even ignoring butterfly effect then few actions ever will be isolated to one person.
Equally in debate it is the one making the radical claim is the one that gets to back it up. Is kung flu damaging enough to bypass the otherwise fairly fundamentally held right over what goes into your body? One that has had innumerable similar situations in prior years too and nobody has gone for that if prior actions/tradeoffs mean anything in this.
This isn’t a source nor even a link to any kind of article. There’s no debate to be had, just provide a source that shows not getting vaccinated doesn’t have harmful effects on others around the Individual.

Reactions: Khalyus

Deleted member 507653

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's always been "their body, 'our' choice". They only pretend that an individual has agency as long as they subservient to the hive mind.

Lmao, do you act the same way for other actions that hurt people around you?

"Oh my god! the government has MANDATED that I must drive sober. My body my choice, I CAN DRIVE DRUNK IF I WANT TO"

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
What is sad:
The people who are now screaming loudest
"Yes, I said yes, you have to force the vaccination into their brains ...!"
I'm personally sorry for them.
Are you aware that a GENERAL vaccination obligation means that with the next mutation you MUST take the vaccine, no matter how untested / new it is!

I read here from people who actually pay attention / are proud of their bodies and who emphasize this again and again and then do these people allow themselves to inject any shit?

Well....bravo ....

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

"Oh my god! the government has MANDATED that I must drive sober. My body my choice, I CAN DRIVE DRUNK IF I WANT TO"
While I support vaccination, this is a bad argument. The government is saying you an't drive while being drunk. That's not the same thing.
You would have a point about the "my body my choice" thing if the government said you can't drink at all.

Reactions: AlexMCS

MichiS97

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

"Oh my god! the government is trying to make me drive SOBER. My body my choice, I CAN DRIVE DRUNK IF I WANT TO"
Given what we've experienced in the pandemic I'm surprised there aren't more people who deliberately drive black out drunk every day or deliberately crash their car without wearing a seat belt just to "own the libs" or "trigger the sheeple" or "stick it to the government" or whatever it is that their QAnon cult leaders and tabloids tell them is the new cool thing to do.

Deleted member 507653

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I support vaccination, this is a bad argument. The government is saying you an't drive while being drunk. That's not the same thing.
You would have a point about the "my body my choice" thing if the government said you can't drink at all.

Well if youre drunk then you're legally not allowed to drive at all.

The point is the government limits what we can and can't do or have all the time in pursuit of public safety and health.

Reactions: Khalyus

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Given what we've experienced in the pandemic I'm surprised there aren't more people who deliberately drive black out drunk every day or deliberately crash their car without wearing a seat belt just to "own the libs" or "trigger the sheeple" or "stick it to the government" or whatever it is that their QAnon cult leaders and tabloids tell them is the new cool thing to do.
I’m surprised that more people aren’t in the streets burning down anything that’s flammable considering the fact that we’ll soon be on year 2 of 2 weeks to stop the spread. The world population is exceedingly calm given the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy