Assassin's Creed: Odyssey comes to Nintendo Switch in Japan, with a catch

Odyssey.jpeg

Leaked in May and announced at E3, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey may be the last game you'd expect on Nintendo's hybrid console. Despite this, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey made a surprising appearance in the Japanese Nintendo Direct. This confirmed that Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is indeed launching on Switch simultaneously with the other versions.

Before you cancel your pre-orders, though, there is a significant catch. This version of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey will be running off of a remote PC, and streamed to the Switch over the internet. This is the same approach Capcom had when they brought Resident Evil VII to Switch back in May. Running off of the cloud, the game will surely suffer both latency and clarity issues, especially with slower internet speeds.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - Cloud Version launches on the 5th of October in Japan. It is currently unknown if Ubisoft plans to release in other territories, but given the game's absence from other region streams, it seems doubtful.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is, they will not make any ports and expect you to rent their game from the cloud its like super easy money for them.

But they do make ports... A lot of them. And original games. We weren't going to see this game on the Switch any other way (at least, not any time soon.)

I get the fickle nature of the product and why so many people are hesitant to buy it - and all of the reasons people listed are valid.

So just don't buy it. Let the people who want to play Assassin's Creed on the Switch buy it. It's literally of no adverse effect to anyone.

Reactions: chartube12
D

Deleted User

Unless you can buy the game and ftp/stream it from your own laptop and then play it where ever you go. Then that would be an epic way to make up for the power difference of the switch and make it pretty badass.
That's an interesting idea, but I'm pretty sure next to no one in Japan has the game lying around on a spare PC. It's mildly intriguing as a potential option for those who already own the game if ever this service comes to the West, but I'm not sure it would be all that practical. Besides, if you're going to stream it from your home PC, why not stream every other game as well? Locking the service to one game would probably cause an outcry.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Let's look at the bright side.

This might give those devs at Ubisoft an incentive to put actual effort into optimizing the PC version of the game.

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was my idea that itd be for the entire switch library/games compatable with switch hardware. that way games that dont normally run at 60fps easily could get a boost from the pc.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Better than nothing.
I sincerely believe this mindset is lazy and highly submissive. It's like receiving a late birthday gift from someone because they forgot and it's a cheap Walmart card and $10. I'd rather have received nothing than some half assed attempt knowing it was pure afterthought.

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah but no... I prefer to run my games locally thank you very much. Even if you have a decent internet connection, traffic still exists.
Yeah. Me, and you and aparently a lot of people too. Although I am afraid that it's the kind of game that can't be put locally on switch because of all whats going on. It's still a shame, anyway.

DrayanoX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I sincerely believe this mindset is lazy and highly submissive. It's like receiving a late birthday gift from someone because they forgot and it's a cheap Walmart card and $10. I'd rather have received nothing than some half assed attempt knowing it was pure afterthought.
Do you seriously think the Switch hardware is capable of running AC Odyssey ? The answer is no, for the people that don't have powerful PC and want to play it, they can, for those who'd rather have nothing then guess what, you just don't have to buy it and it would be all the same. I would have been upset if the game was capable to run if it was ported normally but this game clearly wouldn't be able to.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Cloud gaming always sounded flimsy to me, especially because it doen't work so well in the majority of the time. But it's better than not having nothing at all. I don't think we're ever seeing a release of an Assassin's Creed game (unless it's a port/remaster of some sort) that is actually new. The Switch is just way too underpower for it. But it's interesting to see this nonetheless.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only cloud game I would play is with Lakitu as the main character.
So, Final Fantasy is a no?

I dont mind these cloud games but they should be bundled in a Netflix like package and made a part of "Nintendo Switch Online".
Honestly, a Cloud service would make more sense than this pay online thing they are trying to force on us.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I'm pretty sure it technically can, what has that got to do with anything?

A lot actually. Ive been asking around about tgis but bobody can seem to give a straight answer. If the switch could output 4K streaming video then what's to stop Nintendo from future proofing the Switch as a 4K streaming machine. I can even see developers chargibg an extra 10 for a 4K streaming copy of the game you can play docked and then you can use the game card to play on the go. Like, buy a gane card, get 4k streaming for an extra 10?

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I didn't know this kind of "cloud gaming" was already a thing. One question. Does the Switch do any of the game processing, or is it basically a video receiver for a PC game? Because having a PC and Switch both co-processing a game could mean having games perform way past the Switch's technical limitations.

Daisy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I didn't know this kind of "cloud gaming" was already a thing. One question. Does the Switch do any of the game processing, or is it basically a video receiver for a PC game? Because having a PC and Switch both co-processing a game could mean having games perform way past the Switch's technical limitations.

There's no way in hell they could do that over the internet, hell, even using an ethernet cable locally they almost certainly wouldn't be able to do that. It's ran on the remote PC, and the Switch receives a video stream. All the Switch does is display the feed, and send inputs.

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's no way in hell they could do that over the internet, hell, even using an ethernet cable locally they almost certainly wouldn't be able to do that. It's ran on the remote PC, and the Switch receives a video stream. All the Switch does is display the feed, and send inputs.
Right, of course. Well that's technology for another day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    +2
    "My party doesn't lie!!" ummm politician not lying? Has hell frozen over? lol
    +1
    Tries calling them
    +2
    Reach around and touch someone! AT&T!!!
    +1
    Especially me :D:evil::shy:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol +1