Assassin's Creed: Odyssey comes to Nintendo Switch in Japan, with a catch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisies, Sep 14, 2018.

Front-page
    Odyssey.jpeg

Leaked in May and announced at E3, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey may be the last game you'd expect on Nintendo's hybrid console. Despite this, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey made a surprising appearance in the Japanese Nintendo Direct. This confirmed that Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is indeed launching on Switch simultaneously with the other versions.

Before you cancel your pre-orders, though, there is a significant catch. This version of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey will be running off of a remote PC, and streamed to the Switch over the internet. This is the same approach Capcom had when they brought Resident Evil VII to Switch back in May. Running off of the cloud, the game will surely suffer both latency and clarity issues, especially with slower internet speeds.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - Cloud Version launches on the 5th of October in Japan. It is currently unknown if Ubisoft plans to release in other territories, but given the game's absence from other region streams, it seems doubtful.

Discussion (73 replies)
  1. DKB

DKB ...!

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    I know that people like playing stuff in handheld, on their couch and stuff. But, this is prettttty fucking stupid.

2. Taffy

Taffy If specified, this will replace the title that...

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    Is this like Mario Odyssey but Cappy took the wrong bus or something?

Jokes aside, someone please educate me :3

MushGuy and hamohamo like this.
  3. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    So third partys are testing cloud gaming on a Nintendo Console.

4. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N Resident Weirdo

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Not fond of the trend. While I can see how the Switch would be a good testing ground for stream-only releases, hopefully this won't set a precedent for future third-party titles.

5. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Would it require Nintendo's online service?

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Still think it's a lazy way to "port" but whatevs

Xabring likes this.
  7. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Is it really porting? It's just a PC version with on screen controls altered. Seriously, why is this a thing? Why are we trying to utilize "cloud gaming" now? PSO2 Cloud.. RE7 cloud and now this? If you can't make it run well enough natively just don't give us anything. It's beyond lazy and insulting to us who don't have fast connections. Even though this is currently "Japan Only" its still among some of the stupidest shit imaginable.

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Exactly, it's just pure laziness, it's them saying "oh, we can't be arsed to port the game, so we'll just stream it from a PC instead". What a bunch of bullshit :lol:

Cuck floud gaming as a whole.

xstationbr, Pluupy and nWo like this.
  9. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    I mean.... It's either this or nothing, right? I'm fine with it. Ubisoft is (and has) brought great support to the Switch thus far. It's not like there's a ton of resources going towards this that could be reallocated elsewhere. I don't see an issue with it.

Last edited by Windaga, Sep 14, 2018
    AveSatanas likes this.
  10. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Addict

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    The issue is, they will not make any ports and expect you to rent their game from the cloud its like super easy money for them.

xstationbr, Memoir and Subtle Demise like this.
  11. nWo

nWo The Game Master

Oct 20, 2016
    Mexico
    Cloud games totally sucks. I hope this... "thing" to lose popularity soon and they (and any other developer) give us a game, running natively on NS. This sucks.

Pluupy, lordelan and Kafkaus00 like this.
  12. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Don't be surprise if both Ubisoft and Capcom come out with a full blown cloud service someday. (As well as pull their games from other cloud services.)

13. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    Ew. Cloud gaming is years away from being practical. Maybe they don't have an many problems in Japan, since they have better broadband than most other countries. But still, you have to be close to your access point, so there are still plenty of constraints. I really hope cloud gaming doesn't take off for at least another 20 years. Between bandwidth issues in less populated areas and many homes having a poor network infrastructure, I just don't think it's a viable option.

14. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Yeah but no... I prefer to run my games locally thank you very much. Even if you have a decent internet connection, traffic still exists.

15. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    What's next, Zelda Odyssey? Metroid Prime: Odyssey? Animal Crossing Odyssey? Two games coming out the same year with the same title is a bit much in my opinion.

Jacklack3 likes this.
  16. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Are lamborghini insulting to you because you don't have enough cash to buy one?
    Bit of a stupid statement on your part tbh.
    Technology doesn't need to exist, or not exist based on what you personally can or can't afford.

If it WORKS then it's a fantastic solution for weaker hardware to run games above its means. There's not always "making a game work" on a console without gimping the everloving fuck out of it, and severely misrepresenting the quality just to make it work.

For high end games like this, this really is the only solution. The Switch's portability comes at a cost.
    Technology like this really isn't where it needs to be, but it'll never get there if it isn't tested and improved either.

17. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    So let me get this straight:

You buy the game, but you don't own the game, and play it on your console, but not really, while actually playing on a computer, on a Switch but on a server, while controlling your character with your gamepad but not quite?

I was sold at "latency"! Sign me up!

The fuck is this shit?

18. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    PC streaming was the future of switch anyway

19. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Well, if that is the case, this is more accuracy.