Hacking Arm11 (Core 1) data abort exception.

Davekrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I have a 2ds xl and I started having this kind of Luma errors lately crashing my games even original cartridge ones. I have the latest firmware, luma, godmode, FBI, I have imported as many seeds as I could but my OG usum is crashing as well. I have BootNTR selector for no actual reason, a lot of gba games I already did a CT TRANSFER regaining all my titles by faketik but still crashing. Also sometimes the error message says it can't find Sysnand which is indeed very strange. Here is my latest error message if that could help. Thanks in advance for everyone!

Attachments

• FB28A57A-4BC3-4A29-B83B-13D0F880AE47.jpeg
    FB28A57A-4BC3-4A29-B83B-13D0F880AE47.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 653
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Importing the seed does not apply for physical retail carts (only digital versions downloaded from eShop / Nintendo CDN).

Check if the SD card you're using is fake or dying.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
Any reported error requires replacing the hardware failed card.

Judging by your other posts (#1 and #2), if...

1. The fully reformatted, empty SD card passed inspection in H2testw.
2. You never made a SysNAND *.bin image when you first hacked the n2DSXL.
3. Neither the standard GodMode9 CTRTransfer nor Decrypt9(WIP) CTRTransfer fixed your (semi-)softbricked 3DS firmware.
Try repairing this softbrick with the version 1.4 of CTRTransfer (Type D9). If recovery is successful, backup and keep safe the SysNAND *.bin image.

Davekrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I actually advanced through the d9 method then I got a crash during the process since then I am unable to retrieve my "lost" titles nor with faketik. I had a backup sysnand made with g9 I made a recovery from that as well. I am still crashing and I already have 2 (id0) folder in my Nintendo 3ds one. But the thing is I think another d9 ctr would do the thing but unfortunately I get this error (shown on the Pic) do you know how to resolve it? I heard you are a legend mate thanks for reaching out!

Attachments

• 638F06D1-DC63-4485-8E13-7810BF3D059B.jpeg
    638F06D1-DC63-4485-8E13-7810BF3D059B.jpeg
    957.8 KB · Views: 600
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I actually advanced through the d9 method then I got a crash during the process since then I am unable to retrieve my "lost" titles nor with faketik. I had a backup sysnand made with g9 I made a recovery from that as well. I am still crashing and I already have 2 (id0) folder in my Nintendo 3ds one. But the thing is I think another d9 ctr would do the thing but unfortunately I get this error (shown on the Pic) do you know how to resolve it? I heard you are a legend mate thanks for reaching out!
That image you posted where line 605,
Code:
@BUILDCIA_TRY_AGAIN
, shows you used the outdated version 1.3 of the CTRTransfer (Type D9) script.

Due to lack of time, I haven't been able to do a write-up to coincide with an official GitHub v1.4 release.

You can find the latest version 1.4 of that script attached below in this post.
This one has many improvements over v1.3 when it comes to repairing the 3DS firmware.

You mentioned crashing during the CTRTransfer process. Were you using (Type D9) with GodMode9 v1.9.0?

There are very specific scenarios where GodMode9 v1.9.0 will crash when using CTRTransfer (Type D9) and if no tickets are found in an image unmountable, empty container, or missing ticket.db.
67454970-1685b000-f5fa-11e9-847b-cb9ddb240ce3.png

Because this bug was a regression, caught late, and not something I can code around in the script, another reason I was holding off officially releasing (Type D9) v1.4 on GitHub was to wait for GodMode9 v2.0.0 so I can put in an GM9VER safety check (ie, only run on v2.0.0 or newer).

@Davekrush, you can use the (GodMode9.firm) experimental build found in GodMode9-v1.9.0-5-gc38c99e5-20191025080426.zip when running (Type D9) v1.4.

If you backed up the SysNAND *.bin image just before using CTRTransfer (Type D9),
  1. Restore the SysNAND.
  2. Take a look in the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/dbs directory.
  3. If you previously used standard CTRTransfer,
    1. Press (A) on ticket.dbCopy to 0:/gm9/out.
    2. Press (X) on ticket.db<A> yes<A> yes → button combo → <A> yes, to delete this.
    3. Hold (R)-shoulder and press (X) on ticket.bak. Rename this to ticket.db<A> yes → button combo → <A> yes.
  4. Re-run CTRTransfer (Type D9) v1.4 on GodMode9 v1.9.0-5-gc38c99e5.

If you did not make a backup of that SysNAND *.bin image before using CTRTransfer (Type D9),
  1. Take a look in the [0:] SD CARD ()/gm9/out/<date>_<serial>_sysnand_000 directory.
    • The <date>_<serial>_sysnand_000 folder should exist from prior attempt at running (Type D9).
  2. Hold (L)-shoulder and press (RIGHT) d-pad to highlight everything in yellow.
  3. Press (Y) to [CLIPBOARD] select everything. See the bottom LCD's top-right corner.
    • If selection mistake occurred, press (SELECT) to reset.
  4. Go to the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND directory.
  5. Press (Y) → Copy path(s)<A> yes → button combo → Overwrite all<A> yes → button combo → <A> yes.
  6. If you previously used standard CTRTransfer,
    2. Press (X) on ticket.db<A> yes<A> yes → button combo → <A> yes, to delete this.
    3. Hold (R)-shoulder and press (X) on ticket.bak. Rename this to ticket.db<A> yes → button combo → <A> yes.
  7. Re-run CTRTransfer (Type D9) v1.4 on GodMode9 v1.9.0-5-gc38c99e5.

Davekrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That image you posted where line 605,
Code:
@BUILDCIA_TRY_AGAIN
, shows you used the outdated version 1.3 of the CTRTransfer (Type D9) script.

Due to lack of time, I haven't been able to do a write-up to coincide with an official GitHub v1.4 release.

You can find the latest version 1.4 of that script attached below in this post.
This one has many improvements over v1.3 when it comes to repairing the 3DS firmware.

You mentioned crashing during the CTRTransfer process. Were you using (Type D9) with GodMode9 v1.9.0?

There are very specific scenarios where GodMode9 v1.9.0 will crash when using CTRTransfer (Type D9) and if no tickets are found in an image unmountable, empty container, or missing ticket.db.
67454970-1685b000-f5fa-11e9-847b-cb9ddb240ce3.png

Because this bug was a regression, caught late, and not something I can code around in the script, another reason I was holding off officially releasing (Type D9) v1.4 on GitHub was to wait for GodMode9 v2.0.0 so I can put in an GM9VER safety check (ie, only run on v2.0.0 or newer).

@Davekrush, you can use the (GodMode9.firm) experimental build found in GodMode9-v1.9.0-5-gc38c99e5-20191025080426.zip when running (Type D9) v1.4.

If you backed up the SysNAND *.bin image just before using CTRTransfer (Type D9),
  1. Restore the SysNAND.
  2. Take a look in the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/dbs directory.
  3. If you previously used standard CTRTransfer,
  4. Re-run CTRTransfer (Type D9) v1.4 on GodMode9 v1.9.0-5-gc38c99e5.

If you did not make a backup of that SysNAND *.bin image before using CTRTransfer (Type D9),
  1. Take a look in the [0:] SD CARD ()/gm9/out/<date>_<serial>_sysnand_000 directory.
    • The <date>_<serial>_sysnand_000 folder should exist from prior attempt at running (Type D9).
  2. Hold (L)-shoulder and press (RIGHT) d-pad to highlight everything in yellow.
  3. Press (Y) to [CLIPBOARD] select everything. See the bottom LCD's top-right corner.
    • If selection mistake occurred, press (SELECT) to reset.
  4. Go to the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND directory.
  5. Press (Y) → Copy path(s)<A> yes → button combo → Overwrite all<A> yes → button combo → <A> yes.
  6. If you previously used standard CTRTransfer,
  7. Re-run CTRTransfer (Type D9) v1.4 on GodMode9 v1.9.0-5-gc38c99e5.

Yess this reply seems like a dream, I did encounter Exception (4) in Godmode9. I did everything except renaming the ticket.bak since I didn't have any (in that folder) everything passed nicely got in to the Homebrew menu, wanted to do a TWLfix but it came back with an error, that it "failed to dump any dsiware plase manually dump", still crashing though but definetely less frequently, also yesterday I did a full read n write test and the 4x remormat just to make sure the SD is fine. Huh this case is such a hard one to crack but I feel positive since I like debugging and the community is so great. Now I am doing another d9ctrtransfer just in case. Thanks for caring us Turdpoo < 3

Davekrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back again, oh dog, I don't know. while doing the d9 I got an error

"0:/gm/out/191203_NEE100908111_dsiware_002/dsiware_missing_titles.tx
Build error(s) encountered."

Then everything went fine I booted up, my titles wasn't missing at all, then I got an ARM 11 crash in 5 sec before I could get in to the homebrew launcher to use twlfixer or faketik to install (if any) missing tickets. So weird. I have multiple backups (10+ gigs) from the last two weeks some way earlier so maybe I should replace the contents of the gm9/out folder with an older one? Thanks in advance.

Davekrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got in I did TWLFix successfully, but I am unable to restore the DSiWare saves by d9. Should I skip and just update to the latest firmware?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yess this reply seems like a dream, I did encounter Exception (4) in Godmode9. I did everything except renaming the ticket.bak since I didn't have any (in that folder) everything passed nicely got in to the Homebrew menu, wanted to do a TWLfix but it came back with an error, that it "failed to dump any dsiware plase manually dump", still crashing though but definetely less frequently, also yesterday I did a full read n write test and the 4x remormat just to make sure the SD is fine. Huh this case is such a hard one to crack but I feel positive since I like debugging and the community is so great. Now I am doing another d9ctrtransfer just in case. Thanks for caring us Turdpoo < 3

Back again, oh dog, I don't know. while doing the d9 I got an error

"0:/gm/out/191203_NEE100908111_dsiware_002/dsiware_missing_titles.tx
Build error(s) encountered."

Then everything went fine I booted up, my titles wasn't missing at all, then I got an ARM 11 crash in 5 sec before I could get in to the homebrew launcher to use twlfixer or faketik to install (if any) missing tickets. So weird. I have multiple backups (10+ gigs) from the last two weeks some way earlier so maybe I should replace the contents of the gm9/out folder with an older one? Thanks in advance.

I got in I did TWLFix successfully, but I am unable to restore the DSiWare saves by d9. Should I skip and just update to the latest firmware?

In the CTRTransfer (Type D9) post, there's a section called, Instructions.
Also during the CTRTransfer process, the v1.4 script had several brief breaks with colored commentaries at the top screen. Those explained what to do after the script completes its process run.

At step 12, you were suppose open FBI and reinstall all the dumped system title tickets found at:
  • sdmc:/gm9/out/<date>_<serial>_system tickets (<region>)_###/*.tik
System titles require legit tickets. These shouldn't be restored with fake tickets with the faketik app. System titles that have fake tickets will not be able to update to the latest 3DS firmware 11.13.0-45.

Even if you already used faketik, you can fix this by going to that/those folder(s) and FBI installing all those *.tik.
  • FBI → SD/gm9/out<date>_<serial>_system tickets (<region>)_### → <current directory> → Install all tickets

Also at step 12, you restore the DS(i) mode/TWL system titles and any personal DSiWare games.
  • sdmc:/gm9/out/<date>_<serial>_dsiware_###/*.cia
  • FBI → ... <current directory> → Install all CIAs

Because your dsiware dump folder has the 002 tag,
Code:
191203_NEE100908111_dsiware_002
that tells me you ran the (Type D9)'s CTRTransfer at least three (3) times. Take a look in all the folders. There should be four (4) TWL system title CIAs named as such:
  • 0003000542383841 NINTENDO DSi (TWL-B88A) (DSi Exclusive) (W).legit.cia
  • 00030005484E4441 DS Download Play (NTR-HNDA).legit.cia
  • 0003000F484E4841 Nintendo DS Cart Whitelist.legit.cia
  • 0003000F484E4C41 TWL Version Data.legit.cia
You should be able to reinstall these and update to the latest 3DS firmware without having to run TWLFix-CFW afterwards.

Step 14.
If you had any DSiWare games, those should have backed up as CIAs in the dsiware folder(s). Once they're installed and after updating to 11.13 firmware in step 13, go back to the (Type D9) script to restore their saves.
  • GodMode9 (HOME) button → CTRTransfer (Type D9) → DSiWare CIAs & Saves → Restore Saves choose whichever dsiware folder(s) that has the 'extracted saves'.

Go back to HOME Menu, launch the DSiWare games, and verifying their saves were restored. If the DS(i) mode is still broken at this point, then you do further debugging using either TWLFix-CFW or the older method of reinstalling the five (5) TWL system title CIAs (see the quantumcat page) + another system update.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Davekrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, at step 12 I installed around 170+ tickets, then I installed the DSiWare apps went to Settings to update and got an ARM11 (Core 0) prefetch abort Permission - Page mset (00040010000022000) then I was able to update but I am still getting the error. It is a 2dsxl and I heard the ribbon cable of the screen could go loose at least it's not uncommon with this model, is it possible that I rather have a hardware issue? Sometimes if I bump my 2ds on my lap it just freezes. Thanks for the help so far I learned a lot through the process!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, at step 12 I installed around 170+ tickets, then I installed the DSiWare apps went to Settings to update and got an ARM11 (Core 0) prefetch abort Permission - Page mset (00040010000022000) then I was able to update but I am still getting the error. It is a 2dsxl and I heard the ribbon cable of the screen could go loose at least it's not uncommon with this model, is it possible that I rather have a hardware issue? Sometimes if I bump my 2ds on my lap it just freezes. Thanks for the help so far I learned a lot through the process!

If your n2DSXL still crashes at this point despite using CTRTransfer (Type D9), it could be due to a "gamecoin"-type softbrick like this other person's n2DSXL.
You might want to read from the beginning of that thread for more context before you try that post's debugging method.

The crash where bumping on the lap might be due to a loose flex cable. For example, there's a known design flaw on the n2DSXL model where pressing the ZL-shoulder button interferes with the lower LCD's backlight cable.

Try debugging the "gamecoin"-type brick first. If the n2DSXL is stable, then try next the buttox slap and corner knee tap. It's possible your n2DSXL can have both.

Mozenrath

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Don't want to hijack the thread, but my n3ds crashed 3 times in 1 hour while playing MK7 with similar error description today. All that was happening when volume slider was at 0 (always played with sound before). After moving the slider, the errors stopped so far (?! Oo). Latest Luma and fw update.

Update: did some testing and want to confirm that in my case it is indeed volume slider position at 0 that leads to console crashing within up to 30 minutes of playing. When sound was on, I played for several hours without crash. How can the volume slider affect the stability of the system that much?

Last edited by Mozenrath,

Davekrush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was doing the process of resolving the coin type brick and when I was trying to rename the data2 folder back to data gm9 crashed and now instead of the data folder there is only a "?" the console boots up fine everything stayed intact other than the data folder yet still crashing. Should I proceed anyway?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was doing the process of resolving the coin type brick and when I was trying to rename the data2 folder back to data gm9 crashed and now instead of the data folder there is only a "?" the console boots up fine everything stayed intact other than the data folder yet still crashing. Should I proceed anyway?

NANI ?!

Can you take a picture of the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND with the "?" folder?

Reactions: Davekrush
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right away sir!
:(

Hey, so I have some bad news and possible some really, really bad news.

I've seen this type of data corruption before where the folders and files are strangely [mis]spelled in the CTRNAND.
  • ? (This is an illegal character. Try renaming a folder or file with this char on computer or GodMode9. Not allowed.)
  • extdataex4da4a (substituted letters)
Also, while words are not case sensitive,
  • roRo
  • __journal.nn___jOurnal.nn_
  • Example: data | DATA | dAtA | daTA , etc. are technically all equal to each other.
, having their letters changed to capital form without you purposely doing this raises red flags.

This mishap could have been caused (in the first place) by failed system update, manual install of system title CIAs corrupted by a failing or fake SD card, or from repeated CTRTransfer(s) that end up messing with the partition table keeping track of all the items you're supposed to have on the CTRNAND.

Here's a prime example of this seen in this thread, and it is the main reason why CTRTransfer (Type D9) was developed in the first place to fix this sort of softbrick.

The bad news.

Before you started using CTRTransfer (Type D9), did you make sure to read the warning and follow step 3 found in Instructions?

One of the drawbacks of the Decrypt9 approach of CTRTransfer is that instead of fixing the 3DS firmware, you can very much make it worse if the SD card is fake or faulty.
The way (Type D9) works is to pull certain files and folders out of the CTRNAND, force reflash the RAW ctrnand *.bin image to that partition, and then add back your console unique + personal items back to CTRNAND.

Using (Type D9) on a bad SD card would be like if a pregnant woman got C-section ran into a complication where the surgeons required temporarily taking out and setting her intestines aside on an operating table, but that table being used wasn't sterilized as well as it should have been. After they deliver her baby and put her guts back in, she develops post infection to her organs and requires heavy dosages of antibiotics to stay alive.

Okay, maybe the analogy is over-dramatic, but basically
  • bad SD card ≈ dirty operating table

From your post #5, did you make sure to test the SD card in H2testw with the card starting empty or blank? If so, did the program report any errors?

The really, really bad news.
If you can absolutely verify the SD card had GOOD results, the most likely reason your n2DSXL crashes a lot is due to a failing motherboard.

Story Time

I once helped this user who came to the noob paradise thread seeking to fix his n2DSXL. We continued our discussion in PM, so I can only share excerpts.

* The details story of this might be stretched in truth.
Despite our best efforts trying to revive his n2DSXL *going so far as ship his n2DSXL from the Netherlands all the way to Florida, we were not able to dump his ctrnand_full.bin, twln.bin, and twlp.bin partition images from the [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL. There's a method of manually debugging someone's 3DS firmware by dumping those images and using them on another working 3DS system (has to be same OLD / NEW series). We were never able to get past dumping those images because GodMode9 kept crashing whenever trying to Copy to 0:/gm9/out. In fact, Jiyorude noted some of his NAND's virtual files were named as "?" before he sent his n2DSXL to me.

After I air shipped back his n2DSXL marking it as a lost cause, Jiyorude eventually got his n2DSXL entirely replaced by Nintendo with another unit as it was still under warranty.

It was later concluded that the reason his n2DSXL acted the way it did was due to a failed eMMC (ie, the physical NAND chip).

In case your n2DSXL internal storage is going bad,
The eMMC found on the 3DS systems is not that much different than the SD card. They can and do fail like any flash memory.

While it is technically possible to run a crude diagnostic test (similar to H2testw / F3 / F3X) on the eMMC to determine if it's on way out (R.I.P.), I refuse to share the step-by-step instructions in how to do it because of the extremely high risks in softbricking (bootrom 8046) blue screens of death and/or permanently erasing console unique + personal files.

What you can do instead is bypass the borked eMMC by switching over to an EmuNAND setup. This requires flashing a previously backed up (clean) SysNAND *.bin image onto the SD card.
To activate EmuNAND once it is created on the SD card, go to Luma3DS v#.# configuration and use these settings.
  • (x) Autoboot EmuNAND
  • (x) show NAND or user string in System Settings
Go to System Settings to look for 3DS firmware string, Emu 11.13.0-45U.

If the n2DSXL does stabilizes, keep in mind DSiWare and GBA VC games will no longer work in EmuNAND unless you continually update the SysNAND to match the EmuNAND whenever removing or installing new games.
  • GodMode9 → (HOME) button → Scripts... → NANDManager → <LEFT> Transfer Emu to Sys
  • You may need to backup the DSiWare saves in the [2:] SYSNAND TWLN before the transfer and then re-add them back to keep them from getting erased: CTRTransfer (Type D9) - DSiWare CIAs & Saves

In case the n2DSXL still crashes despite using EmuNAND,
I've ran out of party tricks by this point.

You can try to get your n2DSXL fixed by,
There's also testerfan. He specializes in SMD/SMT level board repairs, although he doesn't seem to offer service for n2DSXL.

There's also replacing the n2DSXL motherboard.
Replacing the motherboard would require System Transfer or SDTransfer when migrating the user profile and games.

Lastly, there's buying a replacement 3DS system. I recommend purchasing a New 3DS XL over the New 2DS XL for durability and repairability reasons. Check my signature; see the Nintendo official refurbished models.

Reactions: IC_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol