[RELEASE] 3DS Multi EmuNAND Creator

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DarkMatterCore, Feb 14, 2015.

1. DarkMatterCore
    OP

DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Cabimas, Zulia, Venezuela.
    After noticing that it is indeed possible to write and use more than one EmuNAND from a single SD card, thanks to the efforts of nop90 at reverse-engineering the Palantine CFW, I decided to write this little tool for Windows in hopes of simplifying the process as much as possible, since I think no one has done it yet.

[​IMG]

Basically, it performs the following steps:
    • Automatically look for the drive that contains the EmuNAND, by checking all the available storage drives and comparing their MBR string to the one set during the EmuNAND creation on sector #0. All the operations will be performed solely on this drive. Make sure to run the program with administrative privileges.
    • Once the SD card is found, check if the NAND dump we're going to work with is valid (either the file [inject] or the SD card EmuNAND/RedNAND [extract]).
    • If an injection mode ("Inject EmuNAND", "Inject RedNAND") is selected with either the second, third or fourth NAND and the current FAT32 partition collides with that NAND's offset, the MBR information on the SD card is updated to reflect the new FAT32 partition offset, which gets moved further to the right. Additionally, a quick format operation is performed on the new partition (by calling the Windows "format" tool). Make sure to backup the data present in the FAT32 partition beforehand, since the program won't do it for you!
    • Read/write the NAND dump using 64 KiB data chunks.
    Additional notes:
    • If the FAT32 partition already begins at a valid offset, you can pretty much use this tool to inject a new NAND dump as the first, second, third or fourth EmuNAND, replacing the previous one.
    • It isn't necessary to add a 512-bytes dummy header to the NAND dump (e.g., running "drag_emunand_here.bat" on it) before using this program, even though it is compatible with such dumps. If you want to write the input NAND dump as a RedNAND, just click the "Inject RedNAND" button.
    Already tested with my own Old 3DS, using two different SD cards (Kingston 4GB, SanDisk 32GB). Feedback is appreciated.

Download latest version (v1.71): https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DarkMatterCore/3ds-multinand/master/3ds-multinand.exe. Feel free to check out the GitHub repo if you wanna take a look at the source code.

Official changelog:

Last edited by DarkMatterCore, Jul 13, 2017 - Reason: Update to v1.71.
    emuashui, satel, cvskid and 41 others like this.
  2. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    This could be useful for those with a DS flashcart without a gateway. What we really need is a launcher that can launch launchers XD

3. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Like me. :lol:

Sadly, ROP chain handling is way out of my current abilities. Otherwise, I'd probably do it.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. misterb98

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    Ya, I don't blame you. From what I have looked at, that looks really hard!

Edit: You could try getting a hex library and check all the partitions for a drive that had MT-CARDNAND or GATEWAYNAND in plaintext at the beginning of the partition. That might be cleaner than relying on launcher.dat for drive detection

5. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    That's the "signature" I'm actually checking; look at the code. ;)

My point was that the fact that it exists is because the Launcher.dat sets it during the creation of the EmuNAND. However, right now it only supports MT Card EmuNANDs (since its basically what is used in nop90's tutorial). I'll fix that when I release the new version.

6. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    It's possible to use gateway emunand (i have gateway) and a CFW for try my cia in the same sd card ?

7. misterb98

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    Ah, I misread your post then. You are waaaay ahead of me ^^ Your post makes it looks like it checks for an MD5 or Other checksum of the Launcher.dat file in the filesystem.

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8lm6s74o8qpiy2/dualnand.zip?dl=0 think this should work....just edited the MTCARD_NAND to GATEWAYNAND.....simplez XD

(ps untested, but im assuming thats all there is too it :P)

9. felystar

felystar GBAtemp Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    So this is used to have 2 emuNANDs at the same time on a single SD card?

10. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Now you can. Check the first post.

Basically, yes. However, the second EmuNAND is usually used as the RedNAND for the CFW, since currently it is the only loading method that supports custom boot sectors.

11. henn64

henn64 I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Dec 26, 2012
    Canada
    The Great White South
    Sow how do you switch which emunand the GW loader uses?

12. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    You have to use the ROP Multiloader to switch between the "Gateway Launcher.dat 4x" (encrypted GW/MT Launcher.dat) and the "Homebrew MsetForBoss.dat 4x" (decrypted Palantine CFW) ROP chains. But right now, you need to have a DS flashcard. nop90 explains it better in his tutorial.

13. henn64

henn64 I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Dec 26, 2012
    Canada
    The Great White South
    I'll check that out, thanks.

Margen67 likes this.
  14. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Updated program to v0.3. Now it can also extract the second EmuNAND.

Margen67 likes this.
  15. ChrisX930

ChrisX930 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    We really need something that let us select which EmuNAND we want to start. Something that starts when we going into the DS Profile Exploit and then "Select Launcher".
    Like:
    SELECT LAUNCHER
    - EmuNAND 7.1 (GW_Launcher.dat)
    - RedNAND 4.5 (CFW_Launcher.dat)

A Launcher that Launch launcher files... hehe,,,

weatMod, Dartz150, Ericss and 2 others like this.
  16. sergio2195

sergio2195 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Sorry for my ingorance but with this app the players who have a 4.5 CFW and EmuNAND 9.x (without Gateway) can we play .cia's directly in the emuNAND and play games that required 7.x Keys?¿

17. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    No, you're definitely getting the wrong idea. This only serves to store a second EmuNAND in a SD card that already has a formatted Gateway / MT Card EmuNAND. This second EmuNAND can be the RedNAND/CFWNAND, and you can use a modified boot.bin file with the Palantine CFW to boot it.

18. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    Can you explain quickly step by step on how to have 2 emunand on the same SD ? (1 GW emunand and 1 CustomFirmware)

?

19. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Once you format the EmuNAND using the Gateway Launcher.dat, extract it to your PC using EmuNAND Tool, place this program along the extracted NAND dump and a copy of the boot.bin file from the Palantine CFW, and run it using the following command:

3ds-dualnand -i emuNAND.bin boot.bin

Bear in mind that you have to backup the data in the FAT32 partition beforehand, since it'll get moved to the right (and quick-formatted). Afterwards, you should end up with an "unallocated space" of 2 GiB where the two EmuNANDs are stored, and a smaller FAT32 partition. Finally, move the Palantine CFW files to the SD card (and, while you're at it, the backup of your files you made earlier), but replace the boot.bin with the one modified by the program.

This is of course assuming the GW EmuNAND is on 4.X. If that isn't the case, you will have to generate a 4.X NAND backup from your console (then again, assuming your SysNAND is on 4.X) and use the NAND.BIN file with the program:

3ds-dualnand -i NAND.BIN boot.bin

20. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    buena chamo!

DarkMatterCore likes this.