Homebrew 3ds extdata dump and restore tool (extra data editing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheeze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I imagine a system transfer would work better for what you're going for, assuming emunand-to-emunand is actually possible.

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I imagine a system transfer would work better for what you're going for, assuming emunand-to-emunand is actually possible.
Yeah it would; however I did one, it semi failed to where o3ds wiped itself thinking it succeeded and the destination 3ds failed not getting anything other than my NNID associated with it. I was able to restore o3ds content with my backup but I can not do another transfer because it thinks it already succeded (not to mention the 7day lockout). So these alternate methods are my only salvation.

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well, if you want to try, you're better off using SaveDataFiler.

Doesnt work for system stuff. But JK just released a new version of his Save Manager a few hours ago and it supports dumping extdata, which is where that stuff is stored.. gonna try it tonight.

kabii-sama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this a dumb question that has already been answered somewhere in this topic, but once I've backed up all of my extdata, what exactly is the easiest way to go about viewing and editing that data? Using the latest version of the app in the OP I've backed up my 3DS' extdata, and now have dozens of folders with .dat and .bin files (among others) in the app's "dumps" folder. Are there any applications as user friendly as the 3DS game save editors shared on this site that can edit the extdata backup files? Or would I need to be hex editing (which I have no knowledge of) these files? I guess simply backing up and restoring the files might be useful for me at some point, but even then I'd need an application that could at least read them to easily determine which folders correspond to which 3DS game/app and such.

For that matter, is there a list of some sort that indicates exactly what type of extdata can even possibly be edited and successfully restored using this particular app? I think I already read that save data for Streetpass Mii Plaza games and Activity Log data is off limits, but can we edit any other data for system apps/utilities? Or is it mainly limited to editing data for games like Tomodachi Life that (iirc) store save data in the extdata? Setting aside whether or not I can really do it myself, I'm just sorta curious what's possible with this tool (for someone without any CFW anyway).

MrCheeze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Extdata can be any file format whatsoever, including unique formats that only the developers have any idea about.

Reactions: Ryccardo

UmbraNoctis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hexed FebruarySn0w's badge file with the start of mine per the tutorial, but all the badges show up as blank/transparent in the badge box. What did I do wrong?

lordclarkson

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Sorry for the noobish post, but I was just wondering how to get my ext files that I rescued from my old SysNAND re-injected so my CFW NAND? I have understood most of this post, and I apologise if it has already been explained over the previous 23 pages. I'm on the verge of losing 3 years of Streetpass data otherwise: ~1500 puzzle pieces, 502 population and I /just/ got the final hat in Street Pass Quest 2 Secret Quest....

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry for the noobish post, but I was just wondering how to get my ext files that I rescued from my old SysNAND re-injected so my CFW NAND? I have understood most of this post, and I apologise if it has already been explained over the previous 23 pages. I'm on the verge of losing 3 years of Streetpass data otherwise: ~1500 puzzle pieces, 502 population and I /just/ got the final hat in Street Pass Quest 2 Secret Quest....

Those are not extdata (apart from puzzles' pictures themselves -not your progress in the minigames or Plaza Miis met viia streetpass- which are spotpass extdata anyway, and not covered by this tool!)

Since I assume from the wording that you can boot that backup somehow, install JK Save Manager in it, which can extract what you want!

lordclarkson

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Since I assume from the wording that you can boot that backup somehow, install JK Save Manager in it, which can extract what you want!

The back-up I'm booting from is from a non-CFW install so I can't install JKSM unless there's a non-CIA version floating around that works with oot3dhax, or something similar.

Gand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After a lot of trying I must seek help because I'm unable to restore my backups. My situation was the following: In orther to instal rxTools I decided to make a backup with extdata_dump. I got a lot of folders inside the dumps folder. Then I did a downgrade and installed rxTools and now my emuNAND is in the same version as it was before (10.1). The problem is that I'm unable to restore anything, always getting the "could not open archive" error.
My biggest concern is with the data of FantasyLife. I'm really lost and don't know what to do. Somebody can help me?

Thanks!!

Gand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was trying to restore on sysNAND, what an idiot I am!! Now all restore without problems. Thanks!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anybody knows how to edit Activity Log from extdata?
Nowadays it's believed that it's not stored in extdata: the upper mode (graph) is saved in the PTM driver's save, and the bottom one (app icon book) in Activity Log's save, updated from the former source!

Reactions: Asdolo

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Nowadays it's believed that it's not stored in extdata: the upper mode (graph) is saved in the PTM driver's save, and the bottom one (app icon book) in Activity Log's save, updated from the former source!

I edited idb.dat in extdata, but I mean it's like a cache or something like that. I "deleted" some entries (filled with zeros) and then when I launch Activity Log they are still there, but the icons of the entries I "deleted" are all black (meaning black = 00 filled chunk, which I can identify, but doesn't know how It's made) and the game names are empty strings.
I'm sure someone's else did the same I did, but just in case I show my info.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I edited idb.dat in extdata, but I mean it's like a cache or something like that. I "deleted" some entries (filled with zeros) and then when I launch Activity Log they are still there, but the icons of the entries I "deleted" are all black (meaning black = 00 filled chunk, which I can identify, but doesn't know how It's made) and the game names are empty strings.
I'm sure someone's else did the same I did, but just in case I show my info.

Just realized it must then be "i"con "db"! That's the file that makes you able to see homebrew cias in the friend list if you already received the icon by installing it or over streetpass!

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Just realized it must then be "i"con "db"! That's the file that makes you able to see homebrew cias in the friend list if you already received the icon by installing it or over streetpass!
That makes sense only if this icon db is just for activity log and/or friend list, because my home menu icons are fine, even rebooting the console.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That makes sense only if this icon db is just for activity log and/or friend list, because my home menu icons are fine, even rebooting the console.
Sure, since you have the applications installed they can be re-extracted from the smdh anyway...

hss2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this allow for the creation of folders that do not exist in extdata extradata?
  1. I am targeting an address that exists.
  2. files properly dump from this address
  3. I can "RESTORE" files to the root of this address
  4. I can "RESTORE" files to a subdirectory that already exists at this address
  5. I cannot seem to "RESTORE" files to a subdirectory within this address that does not already exist.

Is it possible to create a new folder/directory at an address with an arbitrary name of my choosing?

I only have the homebrew launcher running, I can only run 3dsx files, not CIA files or things of the sort.

Thanks for all the hard work! I'm excited to get started on some homebrew myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Not as scary as walking in the woods alone, and running into Wario.