3ds extdata dump and restore tool (extra data editing!)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by MrCheeze, Jan 13, 2015.

1. The Crane Game

The Crane Game Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I made a thread about this and with some help, was able to find this! My question is this: I had to get my 3DS sent off for repair and whenever it was sent back, the main board was replaced. The problem I'm running into is I will need to redownload all the games I have and will lose their save data in the process. By using the app, can I backup and restore the save data I already have in the extdata folder of my SD card on my 3DS since it will be read as a "new" system?

2. MrCheeze
    OP

MrCheeze GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Canada
    I don't fully understand you, but actual savedata backups are done by SVDT, not this.

3. The Crane Game

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Sorry, bit of a noob. Basically, I have save files for a bunch of games on the extdata folder on my SD card. Because I was unable to dump it on the original system it was on, can I use this program to dump the contents of that folder, decrypt it, and then reencrypt it for use on the new system?

4. MrCheeze
    OP

MrCheeze GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Canada
    No for two reasons. Only the original 3DS can decrypt the SD files, and extdata is not save data.

5. The Crane Game

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Bummer. Looks like I'm outta luck then...

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    No, there are indeed interesting files under f00000b and f000000c but they're not the important ones.

We need to dump saves for the PTM driver, which just like for Mii Plaza game progress is currently only possible by manually decrypting NAND...

MrCheeze likes this.
  7. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    Would it be in principle possible for a homebrew to extract the Mii Plaza progress, or is there some reason why it could not? (Or would it be possible with a homebrew, but only under a CFW with full permissions, not from userland?)

8. MrCheeze
    OP

MrCheeze GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Canada
    SVDT gives full access to savedata.

9. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    Trying to use svdt on Streetpass Mii Plaza gives me an error with result code d8e007f7 reading the directory.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/would-it-be-possible-to-inject-mii-plaza-tickets.396821/ claims that it is impossible for svdt to read NAND-based saves.

I would assume that it would be possible for a tool running under CFW with full permissions (not just Ninjhax permissions) to read them, but there might not be such a tool yet.

Last edited by Jiro2, Feb 16, 2016
  10. kinvira

kinvira Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Hm...can I theoretically extract the 3DS applied theme and insert it to another system which runs the exdata tool?

11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Correct, JK's save manager is the tool that probably needs the least effort to do this.
    Well, you can backup mii plaza "invitation" miis (same as mii maker, CFL_DB), DLC puzzles (SD extdata), streetpasses and game progress (NAND save, by manually decrypting CTRNAND but you get a compressed save, so that's strictly backup and not editing without extra work)

Yes, but it's probably easier to use the original custom theme homebrew - "homemenu extdata tool" for this :)

Februarysn0w likes this.
  12. Februarysn0w

Februarysn0w School Idol Festival

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka
    yes you can do that with this tool. but i recommend you to use homemenu dump tool by yellow8. google yellow8's github and download it.

13. FairyLu

FairyLu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2016
    Australia
    Wonderland
    Hi Guys.
    I want restore my Fantasy Life save file but i don't unterstand what I have to do. Can somebody help me please? I have the 2DS Firmware 9.2 (EU)

14. Februarysn0w

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka
    I'm not sure the game save on the extdata or not. but if so you have to edit config.txt to restore it.

15. FairyLu

FairyLu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2016
    Australia
    Wonderland

how should I set up the config file, if I have to do that, for these to restore?

16. Februarysn0w

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka
    tell me the game id.

17. FairyLu

FairyLu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2016
    Australia
    Wonderland
    The dump folder called "extdata \ 00000000 \ 00001131" and in the folder are 6 files. There are 3 save slots named like this: fl_ext0.fsd, fl_ext1.fsd and fl_ext0.fsd
    And there are 3 backup saves named like this: _fl_ext0.fsd, _fl_ext1.fsd and _fl_ext0.fsd

18. Februarysn0w

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka
    edit like this for each save files.

RESTORE "save_file _name" "00001131:/save_file_name"

anyway you have to put the these saves on the root of extdata dump folder first.

Last edited by Februarysn0w, Feb 28, 2016
  19. FairyLu

FairyLu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2016
    Australia
    Wonderland
    Ok thank you very much

20. Chrushev

Chrushev GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    is it possible to get a cia version of this program? I am on N3DS running a9hl, i dont think I can run homebrew menu. I am trying to migrate my Mii Plaza, Activity log and Friend List from the O3DS to N3DS, both are on 10.6 emunand.

Last edited by Chrushev, Mar 8, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice