Homebrew 3ds extdata dump and restore tool (extra data editing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiibomb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
copy your saves root of extdata_dump folder.
add thee 2 lines to config.txt.

RESTORE "system" "00001554:/system"
RESTORE "system_backup" "00001554:/system_backup"

I just tried this yesterday and it worked perfectly, now I can have my save in any 3ds thanks to this.

Thank you very much for your help

Reactions: Februarysn0w

Kylezo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, How about this: I have backed up extdata folders (well, the entire SD card) from before i unlinked my NANDs and evidently lost a bunch of plaza data since when i copied the backups back, the plaza stuff didn't reinstate (lost all puzzle tiles etc). I also have my original sysnand dumped to a .bin

So would it be possible for me to use the tool to dump the BACKED UP raw filesystem extdata, and reinstate it to my current SD? Because rewriting the same backed up extdata just results in errors when I start up the plaza and it forces me to rebuild save data every time.

MrCheeze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're saying you only have the encrypted SD files backed up? If so, they're only decryptable by the NAND that created them. However, even if you dump using that NAND and restore using the new one, there is no guarantee that the old extdata will be compatible.

ac1d_sn0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Really sorry about reposting this but I was afraid no one saw the first post. I am trying to edit my inventory in Terraria using hex editing. I extracted the files fine but I'm having a hard time restoring them. Basically, I dumped all extdata, took out the Terraria file (000016a9), modified it, and now I dont know how to edit the config file to restore it. The file is under dumps/000016a9
I'd really appreciate any help I can get with the format of the config file, Thanks!

MrCheeze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RESTORE "sd_path" "extdata_id:/extdata_path"

for example if your file is a.bin and it was dumped directly into dumps/000016a9 you can restore it like this

RESTORE "dumps/000016a9/a.bin" "000016a9:/a.bin"

Kylezo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're saying you only have the encrypted SD files backed up? If so, they're only decryptable by the NAND that created them. However, even if you dump using that NAND and restore using the new one, there is no guarantee that the old extdata will be compatible.
I'm gonna be honest with you, I don't even know how extdata encryption works. And I certainly don't know how to decrypt it. Are you just saying that "restoring" using this tool won't cut it since it's considered by the system to be from a "different" nand? I have the original sysnand .bin backup still.

MrCheeze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you dumped with this tool, it is decrypted, and you can restore with it. I couldn't tell if you meant that you backed up the SD after dumping or not.

Kylezo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you dumped with this tool, it is decrypted, and you can restore with it. I couldn't tell if you meant that you backed up the SD after dumping or not.
I see. I dumped my original sysNAND with emuNAND9 before unlinking, then backed up my SD with copy/paste, then formatted both. Is any of that data usable? Or is it all encrypted since I dumped it using different menthods?

Kylezo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just list the files you want to restore in the config.txt.
Ok, i dont' know how to access the extdata in my nand.bin backup, so the plan I have is just to restore the drag&drop SD backup I made, dump that extdata, and restore 00000218 (plaza data according to wiki) from the dump to the SD card. Problem is I don't really understand the format the config.txt uses, the examples provided don't use the full filepath. /dump/ is at the scmc:/ root I assume, but I don't know how to point it to the ?Nintendo 3DS/[garbled code nonsense]/ folder where it belongs. What am I missing?

/e: oh, I'm an idiot. You said like 2 posts ago

You should put this in the sample config.txt ^_^

/e: mmm, it's not dumping my 00000218 at all it looks like, so not sure where to go from here. the folder appears in my extdata backup, but when I dump with the tool it's not in /dumps/

Last edited by Kylezo,

=JASON=

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
hi there, i just downgraded to 9.1J while i have a save of MHX retail copy in my SD,
if i want to keep the save, do i hv to use the extdata dump in 10.3J (which means i have to update again)?
i plan to use the save in emuNAND later

ac1d_sn0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

for example if your file is a.bin and it was dumped directly into dumps/000016a9 you can restore it like this

RESTORE "dumps/000016a9/a.bin" "000016a9:/a.bin"
It may just be the game but it always tells me 'copying failed". I'm fairly certain that I got the format correct.

wiibomb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is there a .cia version of this so cfw users don't have to boot into hbl every time we want to dump / inject extdata? :)

I came to ask this too.

It would be wonderful to have a cia, since I have HBL only in my sysnand and the save is in my emunand (they are unlinked)

Deleted member 369977

Felyne Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I came to ask this too.

It would be wonderful to have a cia, since I have HBL only in my sysnand and the save is in my emunand (they are unlinked)
Well.. yellows8 made a hbl loader as cia, but you have to restart your 3ds everytime you want to exit the hbl and go to the emunand. :(

wiibomb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well.. yellows8 made a hbl loader as cia, but you have to restart your 3ds everytime you want to exit the hbl and go to the emunand. :(

Oh well, that can work too, I think I plan on accessing the HBL on emunand just to make this backup.

do you have a link for that cia?

MrCheeze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have the ability to run CIAs, I recommend using SaveDataFiler instead. But be aware that:

* extdata_dump supports regular and NAND extdata, but not spotpass extdata.
* SaveDataFiler supports regular and spotpass extdata, but not NAND extdata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all