Restore Saves after 3DS Repair

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by The Crane Game, Jan 27, 2016.

1. The Crane Game
    OP

The Crane Game Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I had to send my New 3DS XL off for repair. Nintendo replaced the board on it and unfortunately, the saves from my digital games from the eShop on it are no longer going to work. I'm wanting to see if there's a way to get the saves restored if that's at all possible. I looked into svdt a little bit, but I'm not sure if that will work or not. I'm also wondering if I can get my Mii Plaza updated as well. Thanks in advance!

2. Games&Stuff

Games&Stuff GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    Did you make a backup of your saves?

3. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I didn't get a chance to before the system started having issues and I had to send it off. Going to assume that means svdt does me no good without it?

4. Games&Stuff

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    Nope, svdt can only restore them when you've made a backup of them. But if you really want to have your rewards and stuff back as it was, you can use save editors. They exist for some games :)

5. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Mainly wanting it for Animal Crossing and Tomadachi Life, but it's never quite the same for those games unfortunately. Mega bummer about that. Is there anything I can do with those saves at all on that SD card or are they junk?

Games&Stuff likes this.
  6. Games&Stuff

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    What saves are you referring to?

7. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    It was my understanding that games downloaded off the eShop had their save data on the same SD card they were downloaded onto. I could be wrong about this, but that's what I always thought.

8. Games&Stuff

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    Well, I'm not an expert at this, but I think you're referring to the extdata that is in the Nintendo 3ds folder? Idk really know much about this :/

9. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Yup, that's it! I'm hoping there's a way to restore that, since I'm going to have to redownload all my games anyway. The preferable solution would be to get them all, but if I can only get New Leaf and Tomodachi, I'd be perfectly fine with that. Sorry if I wasn't clear!

10. Games&Stuff

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
  11. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Haha, that's what I just came across too! I'll definitely try it when I get off work tonight and let ya know. Appreciate the speedy responses! :D

Games&Stuff likes this.
  12. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Looks like that extdata dump won't work unfortunately. Guess my question now is this: would it be easier to just downgrade and get emuNAND setup before signing back in with my existing 3DS and downloading all of my old games, or should I go ahead and get my 3DS back in order first with my old account?

13. Games&Stuff

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    I would go for emuNAND, you'll get a lot of features with that...

14. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Looks like I may not have lost my saves after all and jumped the gun (sorry! will know later tonight)
    In any case, would it be smart to get my NNID linked with both sysNAND and emuNAND/do you have to do that for NNID to work on emuNAND? Just wanting to know what would work best.

15. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    To get NNID on emuNAND, link it to your sysNAND before you create your emuNAND. EmuNAND will then be a copy of your sysNAND including having your NNID linked. It will now be linked with both but you'll only be able to sign in with one at a time. If you unlink your sysNAND and emuNAND (by formatting sysNAND with the SD card out) your NNID will only be linked with emuNAND. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Jan 27, 2016
  16. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    That does! Thanks a ton, I'll get to work on things later this evening.

Quantumcat likes this.
  17. Games&Stuff

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    Good luck!

18. The Crane Game
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Bad news: They sent it back to me updated, to 10.4-29. No downgrading for me... at least for now.
    Good news: SD card worked just fine! Backing things up and getting homebrew running once again.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Games&Stuff and Quantumcat like this.
  19. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Ah that sucks, sorry to hear!!