Xbox One Internal Hard Drive Upgrade or Repair: Build any size drive that works on any console

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Tutorials' started by tai1976, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Hypster

Hypster Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    United States
    Hello, I am sorry for this question. There are 10 pages of answers, and I have read almost everything. I was thinking maybe if I posted my problem I could get a personalized answer and on the right track. I have a white xbox one s. Everything seems to run fine until I try to install a game or download anything really. Let's say I am downloading a game. It will say "installation stopped at any random moment. Could be 4% or make it all the way to 90%. I have had a few games install after multip resets, and then start bugging out while installing a patch or update to it. When the xbox bugs out everything pretty much freezes. Nothing loads, and I can not properly shut down my system through settings. It shuts off but the light stays on and stuff. Just really weird things. After I factory reset it. The xbox is brand new. Menus work. I can chat with friends. Heck I can even watch netflix! As soon as I start installing any games anything booooom. Occasionally I will get this startup error. "system error: e105 00000000 8007001f" I just turned xbox on after a week of being off because I am finally ready to fix it, and it worked perfect and then "installation stopped" while installing avatars. Even simple things installing xbox freaks out. I figured bad hard drive. Before I found this forum I googled a lot of things and one had me hook the xbox to my computer and use the repair function. I did that to each one and windows found errors with each partition and repaired it, but when I put hard drive back into xbox it still messed up. As soon as I finally get to get the game that has installation stop errors eleted fully off the hard drive. It goes back to not being wonky again. Some youtube videos were saying to just stick a new hard drive in and run the updater off of a usb drive? Any help would much be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Hypster, Mar 3, 2019
  2. devzito

devzito Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2009
    hey there,

so my Xbox One X hard drive just died on me.

i got a new hard drive, partitioned it using the script and tried using the OSU1 offline update

I'm in preview version 1904 so the OSU1 files for Offline Update wont work (stuck on 1% update with error E101 00000504 80070005)

since my original hard drive is dead, is there anyone with an xbox one X or S on the same system version that could send me the System Update folders from their hard drive?

thanks

Last edited by devzito, Mar 10, 2019
  3. justinthegamer

justinthegamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Thank you very much! Awesome youtube guide easy to follow. With a video on how to take apart the Xbox one x and yours, I was able to fix my e105 error.

4. RoadGlide

RoadGlide Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2019
    United States
    I just upgraded from an XB1S to an X, and would like to put the SSD that I had in the S into the X. This might sound like a dumb question, but since the OSU1 file is the same across devices, can I just put the SSD in the X? Would it be better to first copy & paste the contents of the System Update A & B folders from the X's stock HDD to the SSD? Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by RoadGlide, Mar 23, 2019
  5. kelvinmorcillo

kelvinmorcillo Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2019
    Brazil
    I`m on a OG 500GB and even trying as the OP video says about the A and B (and even without as new video suggests) and the exact folder combination between the OSUs, I get a 101 error when pointing the offline update trough the USB(using both OSU 1 and 2 in there). It hangs around 1 to 2 sec before the error.

This is with a new HDD, the original one gor corrupted somehow that even windows can't read it (it only reads the user content partition, the other others even read "local disk" and the script can't get to it)
    Any ideias? I'm really out of it and still have a lot of patience.

6. tai1976
    OP

tai1976 Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    A couple quick points about the E101 error and offline updates:
    1. When doing an offline update using the contents of OSU1.zip extracted to an NTFS formatted USB drive and you are greeted with an E101 error 9 times out of 10 your system is part of the dashboard preview program and is newer than the current OSU1 version. The current OSU1 version is 10.0.17763.4088 as of 2019/04/09. If your version is newer than this you will have to wait until the OSU1.zip version is updated past your version.
    2. In 2019 OSU2.zip and OSU3.zip are useless. They haven't been updated in years and are for updating Xbox One OS 6.3 and day one consoles respectively. Don't waste your time with these.

Last edited by tai1976, Apr 9, 2019
  7. kelvinmorcillo

kelvinmorcillo Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2019
    Brazil
    Thanks for the reply. That was exactly what was going on.
    For the recored, I "fixed" it: (please people, when you do a fix, explain it. I lost some hours hitting dead ends around the web lol)

My console was on Skip ahead builds on Xbox insider program.
    So, When you try to do the OSU update, it fails as the OSU is the public stable version, and my NAND knew my version was higher and considered a downgrade, and giving me E101.

I managed to get another xbox on the same build as I was, got the A and B folders from it and pulled on the new HDD.

Back to life.

tai1976 likes this.
  8. tai1976
    OP

tai1976 Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    Thank you for your solution.
    I'm not sure if anyone has confirmed using donor A and B folders successfully before. I'll add this to the original post. I believe the current dashboard version alternates between the A and B folders with each update so at worst you'd have to manually swap A and B folder contents unless the Xbox is able to determine which folder to use on it's own.

9. MyXboxRocks

MyXboxRocks Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    South Africa
    I have the same issue, was upgrading to an SSD and the previous drive (crashed) had the insiders build. Now I cant load the XBOX as folders A & B and the OSU1 files are not the same as the version that was on the xbox. Keep getting ERROR 106.

10. Mercier

Mercier Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2019
    United States
    1) Thank you for this. It works, and well.
    2) I am not sure if you are aware, but this page consumes between 1.5GB-2.5GB RAM in Chrome and Edge on Windows 10. Not complaining at all. My normal workstation is over-spec'd so I didn't notice but my Surface Book(8GB RAM and some other apps running) began to crawl when viewing this page. Probably the way in which the videos are imbedded but I didn't look into it too deeply. Had me worried for a few minutes though until I narrowed down the task.
    3) Again, this was quick and easy. Nice job!

11. Robblehead

Robblehead Newbie

Newcomer
    May 2, 2019
    United States
    Hello. Thanks for your work on this tutorial.

I recently purchased a One X with a failing drive. I tried following the tutorial and creating a SSD as a new drive, ran the power shell script, saw the partitions, put it together and was never able to get the offline update to highlight so I could select it.

Took it apart and plugged the SSD and no matter what I tried Windows couldn’t recognize it and assume it’s dead (bios doesn’t recognize it). I found a spare 1TB 5400 rpm drive so decided I would redownload everything and tried again. For fun I tried plugging in the original drive and it loaded long enough to let me copy the A & B folder so I went ahead and copied those onto the new drive I setup.

Plugin and all appeared like it was working at first. It did some weird things during the update and had to reboot in the middle of it a few times.

Put my profile in and tried downloading games from my game pass. In the middle of the process of all 3 games they said install failed and when I click on them they say “corrupt data”.

I am also having issues connecting to Xbox Live at times (network disconnects randomly).

Is it possible the hard drive I found is the issue? I think the new SSD crapping out is a fluke and ordered another one.

Wondering what you would recommend I do when I receive it tomorrow.

12. strelkovandrey

strelkovandrey Newbie

Newcomer
    May 3, 2019
    Russia
    Good afternoon, tell me please, my English is weak, but do I understand correctly that with the help of this script you can redefine a hard disk with a volume of less than 512GB to Xbox One format and then it will all work
    For example I have Xbox One 500gb and SSD WD 240gb
    Considering that I usually play literally 1-2 games (i.e., I don’t store the entire game collection on my hard drive, but I just store what I’m playing now), I now wanted to use the existing SSD drive as the main drive on the Xbox to the operating system loaded faster and the game

A standard 500GB hard disk is, in principle, not used, except as a large USB flash drive for computer purposes.

Do I understand correctly that this script is just under my wishes? Just before that I met the instructions, but it described what exactly 500GB of 1000GB is needed (i.e., such volumes in which the Xbox is actually produced)

13. strelkovandrey

strelkovandrey Newbie

Newcomer
    May 3, 2019
    Russia
    In the end, I did everything as you did on the Xbox One video 256GB Internal Hard Drive Down Linux Using Linux Script 6.1
    The only thing that happens on the video version of the script is 6, I downloaded how I understood the most current 8th version

At one point, you opened the video on the video of Gparted, for some reason he had the original cursed on the hard disk, and did not show its sections (I don’t remember exactly, we didn’t speak to the sections of that)

Further, when I started the process of transferring information from the original to a new disk, your script gave me an error of approximate such content
    - warning that the checksum of a section does not match, but the main title is correct, I start exporting from it (he described the text in his own words, because he did not remember the original)
    but at the same time, it seems like everything went well, and then, as in the video, the GUID was transferred
    I checked them with the standards, everything is the same - in general, everything is on the video as well as mine =)

And the most exciting moment (beforehand, I’ll say that before the whole procedure, I first reset the console to the factory settings, and deleted all the content)

I turn on the console, everything turns on successfully, the screen saver went, the console quickly loaded into the dashboard =)))))))
    I go to the list of games, and I see that it is free 0% :(
    I go into the console settings - the storage section - it says that there is an internal memory with a free capacity of ~ 120 gigabytes (that is, everything is written correctly here)
    I put on download the first demo version of the game, the download goes successfully (where it is saved =)))))

And here I seem to have made a fatal mistake, I thought, I’ll try to reset it to the factory settings again, it can fix it, launch the reset, the prefix went into reboot and that's it, it seems to be on, but there is no picture and nothing hangs in the on state and nothing else (and if you listen, you can hear a looped sound inside the console (it sounds like a motherboard whistle), as if something has gotten into an endless cycle)

After that, no matter how I turned it on, turned it off - the same thing, the console seems to work, but there is no picture, the joystick can only be turned on, after that it does not respond

Maybe I missed something, or maybe because of my disk which is 240GB in volume, and not 256

14. LaNsLyDe

LaNsLyDe Newbie

Newcomer
    May 5, 2019
    United States

I just did this same thing, I'm on the insider build from this morning May 4 2019. Was swapping to an SSD and didnt realize the issue with the osu update and insider builds.

You still have those files laying around or can get me new ones? I'm desperate lol. Need my black desert grinding.

I have this update: 19H1_RELEASE_XBOX_DEV_1905\18362.3042.190428-1940

UPDATE: Attempting to recover the files from the original HDD that was in my xbox so I can just copy over the A and B folder. If it works I will host those files for everyone.

UPDATE 2: Now getting an E102 error. Not sure what that means. Any ideas?

Last edited by LaNsLyDe, May 5, 2019
  15. RubenMiranda

RubenMiranda Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2019
    United States
    Hello
    Ok to clear it up for me
    I need to format and reinstall internal hard drive 1 5th.
    I have it out need to get the adaptor to hook up to pc W 10.
    The problem is that it updated and got stuck at 86 %
    I tried to update offline via usb still same result.
    Also tried to restore offline only to rust get a.system error 102.

Warranty is a no go.
    I got the hard drive out will get the usb adaptor to hook up to pc.
    ? So do I back up and try to repair files that are corrupted
    Or do I format and reinstall the os this is where I am confused
    Is the whole os on the update ousd 1 Or is that just a update and I need to find the whole update and where do I look for that.
    The os version is 18362.2018.amd64're.19h1_release_xbox_dev_1904.190410-1845
    I search Microsoft but don't find it nor a download for it.
    Please help grandson is driving crazy.
    Thank you Ruben
    So do I back it up and

16. killam42

killam42 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2019
    United States
    Followed the instructions, Everything worked, one day later. My disc drive wont read anything. Is it connection or did i screw something up when I forced shutdown my Xbox

17. crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2017
    United States
    Okay so I'm trying my best to figure out this situation i got a free OG Xbox one. Where it would boot to Xbox logo then black screen. I can't get into recovery mode to factory reset. Hard power reset doesn't work so after scowering the web and multiple forum there was a suggestion to swap the HD. So I followed the tutorial everything went great however it doesn't boot into recovery for factory reset. To enable the NAND. however I can get the preapring console but then get an error 101 no button combination will pull up reset factory and I think that's where the issue might be

18. Techygeek

Techygeek Newbie

Newcomer
    May 16, 2019
    United States
    Well. I've gone through all of these steps and have been hit with the 'I'm on a preview build' problem.

Does anyone know of a site that happens to host the Update A and B folders?

I have a second One X I can move in to preview, but my fear is if it goes south, then I'm really up a creek.

Current Build: 1905.190507-1930

Or is there any possible way to reset the Xbox so it clears its memory of that being the version? (Yeah, not a great question but hey, best to ask). I couldn't find it online or at least didn't search the right terms.

Thanks! Great thread! Was fun taking this beast apart. :-)

19. RubenMiranda

RubenMiranda Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2019
    United States
    Hello
    So the story xbox one s stopped working. Getting a e101 error kept asking.to be restarted, and kept doing the same thing. got online to see what i could find out, others kept saying a failed update and other things.
    So i tried reset no go
    Off line reset nope
    Off line update via usb it will install , verify , and install but stop at 86%
    Everytime. Tried troable shooting still same error 101.
    So i went ahead pulled hard drive and per your instruction using your script.
    And formatted and reallocated all partitions went threw the whole process it never said there was a problem with the drive. All healthy
    So I reinstalled and did the boot up process and the update.
    And again the update stops at 86% i can let it sit there for ever no movement, power off and try again and again same thing.

So what can I do ?
    ? Even though all went right and the drive says all healthy could the hard drive still be bad.
    Or am I looking at a brick and don't waste any more time or money ?
    Or.is there a chance it is the hard drive still and get a new 1T hard drive.

Another ? Does this script format the drive first could there be.chance there where still corrupted file left ?

Thank you in advance for the help
    Ruben M
    Ok I followed all.the insructions

Last edited by RubenMiranda, May 19, 2019 at 6:15 AM
  20. JantsoP

JantsoP Newbie

Newcomer
    Wednesday
    Finland
    Hello.

So I used this script yesterday and I noticed some pointers which should be covered.

1. Directly hook up the new SSD/HDD (or what have you) to your machine. Connecting via extender might cause partition part to crash
    2. At least for me, after I was done installing the OS from recovery USB, I got back to my Dashboard w/o even re-installing my Xbox. I only had to login. Of course, I had to delete the games from settings but everything has worked fine since.