Why did the the xbox become less and less and less user friendly for upgrades?

salazarcosplay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did the the xbox become less and less and less user friendly for upgrades.

The Xbox 360, sure it had their proprietary caddy for hard drives. But the hardrives were upgradable easy access.

When we got to the Xbox One. I wonder why they made it burdensome of having to open the system, to replace the drive. At least One could go from 500GB to 2TB SSD internally. But I feel like Microsoft could have allowed for bigger drives, and easier access.

Xbox Series X|S I feel like they made it very limiting to have any sort of internal storage drive upgrade.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Letting inexperienced end users open up the console and potentially destroying the system sounds like a fantastic idea.
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. Changing a hard drive is not more difficult than changing the SD card of your phone.
Also, following this logic, we should get rid of rights to repair entirely and just let big corpo have full control over the devices WE PAID FOR, how is this preferable?
Might as well ban and entirely get rid of all medicines and pharmacies as well since most people aren't doctors and they can overdose by mistake.
I don't wanna give away my consumer rights to big corpo because some dumbass broke his console trying to change the HDD.

TomChaai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Because they wanted to save $2 per console.

Xbox One boots from an eMMC chip, S/X could do the same and in fact uses the same southbridge chip and has a spot for the eMMC chip, but MS omitted the eMMC and opted to store the core firmware right on the SSD, to save costs.

This makes the data on the SSD a critically irreplaceable part. You can replace the SSD as long as you can clone all the data onto an identical replacement module, but if the backup is not done and the data is destroyed, the console is bricked beyond repair.

All just to save $2 per console.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Why did the the xbox become less and less and less user friendly for upgrades.

The Xbox 360, sure it had their proprietary caddy for hard drives. But the hardrives were upgradable easy access.

When we got to the Xbox One. I wonder why they made it burdensome of having to open the system, to replace the drive. At least One could go from 500GB to 2TB SSD internally. But I feel like Microsoft could have allowed for bigger drives, and easier access.

Xbox Series X|S I feel like they made it very limiting to have any sort of internal storage drive upgrade.

The use of USB storage on later firmware 360 and Xbone has arguably been one of MS's more consumer friendly options.

The 360's SATA storage was still locked down via firmware and they even blocked an unauthorized 360 MCs.

Otherwise, proprietary and/or difficult storage is par for the course for MS.

Because they wanted to save $2 per console.

Xbox One boots from an eMMC chip, S/X could do the same and in fact uses the same southbridge chip and has a spot for the eMMC chip, but MS omitted the eMMC and opted to store the core firmware right on the SSD, to save costs.

This makes the data on the SSD a critically irreplaceable part. You can replace the SSD as long as you can clone all the data onto an identical replacement module, but if the backup is not done and the data is destroyed, the console is bricked beyond repair.

All just to save $2 per console.

Emmc isn't perfect though either, see Wii U as an example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...