Did Retroarch mess up my Xbox? Help!

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I've found something relevant in an old post on another forum (not sure if I can link it?):

Which made me realize the PS2 core was the one I had trouble with. I transferred some files and games in an attempt to make it work, then deleted them, and that's probably when the problems started.
At some point I also tried to restore Retroarch's config with the apposite option and it crashed, which I thought was weird.

Then I thought a full factory reset would fix the issue by wiping/rebuilding the SSD but... apparently not?
Now I'm trying to find what the entire file structure should look like out of the box so I can compare it to mine, but no luck so far
Best way I could think of is to create a folder on your PC called Xbox. Inside this folder create different folders for each drive letter you see when you ftp to the xbox. Then use ftp to transfer the contents of those folders to the folders you created on the pc.

Everything should be as it is out of the box if you did a factory reset. If you have a friend with a series s and they are willing to let you open their console you could clone their working drive to yours. When you put the newly cloned drive into your xbox, do a factory reset and it should be as if nothing ever happened.

Ark9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's true but no Series S or X among my friends unfortunately, that's why I'm searching the internet.
And I don't feel confident taking the SSD out of my Xbox, I might damage something or void the warranty.

For now I'll try finding an alternative solution.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's true but no Series S or X among my friends unfortunately, that's why I'm searching the internet.
And I don't feel confident taking the SSD out of my Xbox, I might damage something or void the warranty.

For now I'll try finding an alternative solution.
Not sure what country you are from but in North America opening a console for repairs no longer voids the warranty. Although if it's still within the MS warranty period it may be worth sending it in and having them service it. I've sent about 10 "questionable" 360's in for RROD and only once did they send a console back not repaired. It may also be possible that someone somewhere would be willing to image a stock drive for you. If I had access to a desktop with a spare M.2 slot I'd rip my kids S apart and do it.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also just had a thought. Is it possible the error or issue is profile specific. Any chance you could create a "dummy" account and see if it can load games?

Ark9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I also just had a thought. Is it possible the error or issue is profile specific. Any chance you could create a "dummy" account and see if it can load games?

I've already tried that (and deleting my main account), but it didn't work.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've already tried that (and deleting my main account), but it didn't work.
Damn, That's a bummer. I'm curious if I backed up my games and restored my series x if FTPing the contents of the drives and then getting them to you so you can ftp them and overwrite what's there would help. Which drive was it that you were deleting files from? Maybe you only need one of the partitions. Does durango FTP still work?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a partition can't be deleted if that's what you mean. I don't know if restoring someone else's files would work. it might be dangerous without know what exactly is missing or corrupted. you should just use an external drive. it's much easier to update with one, because unless you put the files in a different local folder. they'll be deleted. dev mod does give you the option to put them in a folder in windowsapps or developmentkits (can't remember), so they don't get deleted when updating.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, I had factory reset my system due to a problem with remote play (turns out, it's my router). anyway, retroarch was reset to default settings, and nothing was even installed in dev mode, so it wiped that. I got everything back, and for retroarch, all I had to do was replace the retroarch config file. keep a separate one for dev mode and retail, because external is drive E in devmode and drive D in retail. drive D is the developer's partition in devmode, and afaik, will be your local folder, I think.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a partition can't be deleted if that's what you mean. I don't know if restoring someone else's files would work. it might be dangerous without know what exactly is missing or corrupted. you should just use an external drive. it's much easier to update with one, because unless you put the files in a different local folder. they'll be deleted. dev mod does give you the option to put them in a folder in windowsapps or developmentkits (can't remember), so they don't get deleted when updating.
A partition could be deleted but not from within the xbox eco system but one could delete all the files that are not in use within said partition if they accidentally clicked the wrong button in filezilla or any ftp client. And as long as the systems are on the same update or system version as long as the files being restored aren't user specific I don't see how it could hurt.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that's what's happened though. the apps are separated into their own folders in local host, so why would it affect all games and apps?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think that's what's happened though. the apps are separated into their own folders in local host, so why would it affect all games and apps?
Possibly thought they were deleting retroarch files but accidentally deleted something else. I know I've accidentally deleted many times something I wasn't suppose to. I'm just usually well prepared for my own stupidity by creating backups before I delete anything that might be critical.

Reactions: godreborn

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyway I have dumped the contents of my LOCALFOLDER and it's only 328mb. If you're interested to try it I can send you a link in a pm. I didn't include my retroarch folders or anything though Just the folders that aren't user specific.

Edit to add system version:
This is my system version so if this is something you want to try make sure it matches this before proceeding.
OS version
10.0.22000.4970 (xb_flt_2206co.220525-2200)
Shell version

Last edited by fringle,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
retroarch may be on the Q partition actually, considering when it saves the config file it mentions it being on Q. it's part of local host, where the only file that can't be backed up to external is the retroarch config (the main one), but you can copy it and replace it. when I factory reset my system, retroarch acted as though it had never been booted up, so I had to download all the assets and files for it, then pasted my backed up copy of the config file. I think the retroarch config is also in Q in devmode. they just seem to be in separate folders. my retail version says retroarch in the folder name with a long string of letters and numbers, but dev mode does not. it's just a long string of letters and numbers.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just thought of this. one option he might have is to wipe the drive by telling it to format. when you restore the system to factory defaults, it asks you if you want to keep your games and apps. I'm assuming it's formatting the drive. it's pretty drastic, but xbox stores saves on cloud automatically without a subscription.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
retroarch may be on the Q partition actually, considering when it saves the config file it mentions it being on Q. it's part of local host, where the only file that can't be backed up to external is the retroarch config (the main one), but you can copy it and replace it. when I factory reset my system, retroarch acted as though it had never been booted up, so I had to download all the assets and files for it, then pasted my backed up copy of the config file. I think the retroarch config is also in Q in devmode. they just seem to be in separate folders. my retail version says retroarch in the folder name with a long string of letters and numbers, but dev mode does not. it's just a long string of letters and numbers.
The Q drive in retail mode for me is just my user folders for mine and my kids accounts. Similar to the windows layout of the users folder. Nothing app specific in it from what I can tell.

As for the drives being formatted, it's possible for some of the partitions to be formatted but it would be impossible for the entire system to be formatted. If it was you would need a usb stick with your current system version on it everytime it's wiped and would have to start it from some sort of recovery process that would be built into it's BIOS as there would be nothing left on the drive to start the restore.

I think of it kind of like restoring windows, unless you force it to format your drive and boot from a usb stick the drive never gets truly wiped.

Ark9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anyway I have dumped the contents of my LOCALFOLDER and it's only 328mb. If you're interested to try it I can send you a link in a pm. I didn't include my retroarch folders or anything though Just the folders that aren't user specific.

Edit to add system version:
This is my system version so if this is something you want to try make sure it matches this before proceeding.
OS version
10.0.22000.4970 (xb_flt_2206co.220525-2200)
Shell version
Oh wow, that should definitely give me some clues at the very least!
But don't mess up your own Xbox for my sake when I don't even know if my problem is fixable! :D

Which drive was it that you were deleting files from? Maybe you only need one of the partitions.
It should be D since I'm in retail mode. I skimmed through other partitions but without moving or deleting anything.

if all apps and games are crashing, that is not an option.
Durango DOES still work, as do the few other apps I've tried. It's only games that are crashing.

one option he might have is to wipe the drive by telling it to format. when you restore the system to factory defaults, it asks you if you want to keep your games and apps. I'm assuming it's formatting the drive. it's pretty drastic, but xbox stores saves on cloud automatically without a subscription.
The full factory reset I've already tried deletes EVERYTHING (games, apps, local saves, captures, accounts, settings etc) but I guess it doesn't really restore every single file to the first time the console was booted.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that's is only hope. your suggestion requires durango ftp. if all apps and games are crashing, that is not an option.
Sometimes hope is all you have and it's gotten me out of more situations than I can count. I fix things by doing things others normally wouldn't. Sometimes it works sometimes not so much. The way I see it, it can't make it any worse.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh wow, that should definitely give me some clues at the very least!
But don't mess up your own Xbox for my sake when I don't even know if my problem is fixable! :D

It should be D since I'm in retail mode. I skimmed through other partitions but without moving or deleting anything.

Durango DOES still work, as do the few other apps I've tried. It's only games that are crashing.

The full factory reset I've already tried deletes EVERYTHING (games, apps, local saves, captures, accounts, settings etc) but I guess it doesn't really restore every single file to the first time the console was booted.
Perfect. I'm uploading the localfolder to dropbox and will send you the link shortly. I don't have a D drive when I FTP in retail mode so hopefully the local folder has everything you need.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Broken condoms lead to broken hearts, won't someone think of the children!!! Lol +1