• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Wtf Is Wrong With This World :(

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i think its because pokemon wasnt released somebody got mad

What the? Are you serious? If not you shouldn't say things like this. Where are the military police in situation like this? Those guys move 10x faster and with amazing strategy and tactics and you leave it to the civis to stop monsters like these.

I think that the killer, moved so swiftly around the campus that nobody realized what was really happening until it was too late..
I mean from what I've heard, after the first killing people thought that the criminal had obviously fled the scene, but the guy just went over to the other building and kept on shooting.
I would say surprise, was a key element.
How do you prevent such a thing ? Once it's started ,it's unavoidable, there's bound to be numerous deaths, no matter how fast and how efficiently the forces get there.
If that's the case, there should be some way to prevent any gun to reach any public building at all, like we see metal detectors at airports or even down at the Empire state building here in new your, where in order to get in , you must pass a security check just like at an airport.
And I bet someday it will happen too, just like after 9/11 security check started to pop up here even if you just plan a visit to the statue of liberty.
People are somehow bothered, you have to make the line and pass the security and waste more time, but at the end everybody feel safer and that's a big trade off.
I think more then a low enforcing a ban of fir arms, technology should play an even more important role in this game with automated security just like in Schwarznegger's total Recall, where in a not too distant future people were forced to pass huge x-rays stations in order to even get to the subways.
Even the perfect lows may be broken, but a security check in is hard to beat by anyone.

I've been reading a few comments around this topic(not all of them) and somehow I've seen racial remarks of some sort, and I just wanted to point out that most of us are being racist all the time, everywhere.
I 've been living in New York for more then a decade, but I'm from Italy original, and even there there is a sort of cold war between north and south, region and region and historically many cities don't get along with each other very well.
On a more international scale I hear all the time generalizations and comments like stupid Americans or dirty French or Italians spaghetti eaters or dumb Germans and violent drunk British(hooligans or such).
While some of the appellations might somehow reflect a portion of the population , of course you have o agree that not everybody likes spaghetti, not everybody likes football and some people love soap more then others, therefore it's hard to generalize, even more so on a larger scale when we talk about Americans, since the USA are such a big country, with lots of diversity and lots of different society models.
The stupid ones are those who tend to generalize, without realizing that such a huge country is made of a lot of different states, much like Europe in made of many different nations.
The only difference is that here everybody speaks English, and there's only one currency, while in Europe there wasn't even the euro not so long ago.
I am wondering because here, one has to carefully CHOOSE EACH WORD to be politically correct.
Any remark about an other American of a different racial origin or a different religion must be very, very thought trough before spoken.
Legendary radio host Don Imus got fired after over 30 years of radio station work made of bad jokes and racial comments because he said something wrong about the wrong people in the wrong moment. It was the most talked about topic here in the states before the VT.
Personally I feel that this huge mess was a little exaggerated, but it shows that one has to be really careful when it comes to a racial remark, even if it's meant as a bad taste joke.
Michael Richard ruined his career after using the n-word in a show that wasn't even supposed to be aired, and even people like Howard Stern was forced to leave his network also because of allegations about his jokes about Jewish.
All I'm saying is be careful, don't assume it's ok to diminish other country's people, it's not right and it's dangerous, and some individuals might not tolerate that even one bit.
I know, I had my share of embarrassment's when I first moved here, but this goes beyond just plain old bad taste, it can ruin your life sometime.
While we are all a bunch of friendly guys here, it's still not correct to insult other races, expecially like here in the States, chances are some of your ancestors moved here and formed today's society regardlessly of where are you from.

Mar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
this is what's wrong with most people in economically developed countries.

Mentally unstable..

i've been to the point of wanting to do some pretty bad stuff, and i can say that this probably, happened from feeling down, not being able to express feelings, and seriously not getting the right attention from people around.

it can drive a person insane, and if done with consistancy can produce a situation like this.

people tend to avoid contact with depressed and desperate persons.
which makes the person more depressed an desperate...

maybe this is weird to say, but could you imagine how the shooter had felt the days before this happened...
if you've ever felt like this you'll understand... agony.

of course the lack of proper parenting helps put someone to this level of aggressiveness...

If i was gonna kill myself anyway... i would take people with me.

that's what it feels like when you're so fucked up...you want people to notice, notice your pain, tears, anger, notice how difficult it is.
and if you can't express that in a normal way...cause you just didn't learn from your parents, it'll find a way out...

as with little kids: any attention...positive or negative is attention, and they'll misbehave to get it if they have to.

i have always tried to be a good person.
i am raised to be nice to others, put others before myself, and help them.

also i've been yelled at, and constantly corrected at anything i did or wanted to do...

that has turned me into a person that MUST do everything right, perfect...and that doesn't work..especially when you're full of fear of doing anything that may be irritating or bad for others.

if i try and try for others...do my best as hard as i can..and still get nothing...i would snap...and i have...to the point of damaging myself physically...hitting my ex girlfriend...and even planning to rape her...

thinking of this makes me scared of what i might do one day, so i'm working on that.

i'm being really open about this... why?

because i want others to let go of their "mental blocks" and start doing things they want...for themselves...

live for yourself and everything will fall into place...

just don't be a dick.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
The Australian said:
Shooter argued with girlfriend before massacre

A GUNMAN argued with his girlfriend before killing her and another man, and then went on to massacre another 30 people at a US university before taking his own life in the deadliest shooting rampage in US history.

The gunman was believed to be a student from China who first killed his girlfriend after an argument in a student dormitory and then killed a dormitory supervisor, a fellow student said.

Over two hours later, looking serious but calm and without uttering a word, the man stormed classrooms and massacred 30 more students before turning the gun on himself.

Police would not immediately confirm a motive for the deadly rampage, in which victims were cut down in two attacks two hours apart before Virginia Tech could grasp what was happening and warn students.

Most of those killed were students attending classes at a hall where the gunman apparently used chains to lock the doors and prevent the victims from escaping, officials said.

Fifteen people were wounded, including those shot and students hurt jumping from windows in a desperate attempt to escape the gunfire.

Virginia Tech student Chen Chia-hao told Taiwan cable TV the rampage began after the gunman argued with his girlfriend in a high-rise dormitory building.

Wielding two handguns and carrying multiple clips of ammunition, the killer had first opened fire about 7.15am (2115 AEST) on the fourth floor of the West Ambler Johnston building, officials said.

“They had a big quarrel in the West Ambler Johnston Hall and he shot her. Then the RA (dorm supervisor) came, and he shot the RA,” Chen said.

The gunman later stormed Norris Hall, a classroom building less than a kilometre away on the other side of the 1,000 hectare campus.

One student told CBS News the killer walked into his German class and shot a student and professor before systematically shooting nearly all of the other students in the room.

source

Very sad, at least we have a bit more of an insight into what actually happened.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@Mar,

this dickhead got dumped, so its justified that he walked into a building chained the doors and then lined up each student in every class and executed them.

Save me the crap, if your depressed then kill yourself that way no one cares anymore, you don't have to prove some childish point by taking people down with you.

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
this is what's wrong with most people in economically developed countries.

Mentally unstable..

i've been to the point of wanting to do some pretty bad stuff, and i can say that this probably, happened from feeling down, not being able to express feelings, and seriously not getting the right attention from people around.

it can drive a person insane, and if done with consistancy can produce a situation like this.

people tend to avoid contact with depressed and desperate persons.
which makes the person more depressed an desperate...

maybe this is weird to say, but could you imagine how the shooter had felt the days before this happened...
if you've ever felt like this you'll understand... agony.

of course the lack of proper parenting helps put someone to this level of aggressiveness...

If i was gonna kill myself anyway... i would take people with me.

that's what it feels like when you're so fucked up...you want people to notice, notice your pain, tears, anger, notice how difficult it is.
and if you can't express that in a normal way...cause you just didn't learn from your parents, it'll find a way out...

as with little kids: any attention...positive or negative is attention, and they'll misbehave to get it if they have to.

i have always tried to be a good person.
i am raised to be nice to others, put others before myself, and help them.

also i've been yelled at, and constantly corrected at anything i did or wanted to do...

that has turned me into a person that MUST do everything right, perfect...and that doesn't work..especially when you're full of fear of doing anything that may be irritating or bad for others.

if i try and try for others...do my best as hard as i can..and still get nothing...i would snap...and i have...to the point of damaging myself physically...hitting my ex girlfriend...and even planning to rape her...

thinking of this makes me scared of what i might do one day, so i'm working on that.

i'm being really open about this... why?

because i want others to let go of their "mental blocks" and start doing things they want...for themselves...

live for yourself and everything will fall into place...

just don't be a dick.

man damn... Ya know you shouldn't think like that but hell I don't know what u went through. If people ignore me I ignore them right back. I don't think too much about something to get emo about it. And only cowards would hurt others for their own pain.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Actually, there IS a problem with USA. 10,000 gun homicides a year. I can't imagine that.
Slovenia is a small country (2 millions of people), but there aren't more than 1 - 2 a year here.
Sure, the population of the States is 150x bigger, but yet, that would still be only about 100 - 200 a year.
(on the completely different matter, we do have 650 suicides a year, making us the most suicidal nation in the world, competing with Japan)

About a year ago, a street criminal killed a woman in Serbia and came here. He later decided to take revenge
on a man who turned him in for a bank robbery, attacked his wife and cut her throat. This was all over the national news
and every single day of his trial in the court was reported in the papers (and still is, because he awaits another trial in Serbia).
That's not likely to happen in the 'New World'.

I agree this tragedy is sad, but Opium made another valid point. On Sunday, 50 people were killed in a bomb blast in the Middle East.
Nobody seemed to care, but does it make it any less sad? After all, it was the United States (with support of the United Nations, unfortunately) that attacked Iraq and disrupted the 'peace'. Sure, Iraq wasn't heaven under Saddam Hussein, but it's worse now.

Despite many people hate Michael Moore, he made a very valid point in Bowling for Columbine - what the hell makes Americans so damn
aggressive? We will never know.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been listening to the news on the radio. They interviewed someone that said the real solution is to relax the gun law. I really don't want to jump into a gun law debate so I'll just leave it at a condolences to the family of the people who died.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Updated at 10:55 a.m., Tuesday, 04.17.2007

During today's Convocation at Cassell Coliseum, the Merryman Center auditorium is being reserved for families of the victims who would to attend service in a private location.

Classes are canceled for the remainder of the week to allow students to mourn and begin healing. Campus will reopen Wednesday for administrative operations.

Norris Hall has been closed for the remainder of the semester.

The Virginia Tech Police Department has confirmed the identification of the gunman responsible for the multiple fatalities at Norris Hall on the Virginia Tech campus Monday. Ballistics match at both crime scenes.

The individual has been identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23. Cho was enrolled as an undergraduate student in his senior year as an English major at Virginia Tech. Cho, a South Korean native, was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va.

Source

Info on the shooter

I'm still unable to get ahold of my friends who go there. One was in journalism and the other was in the engineering program...

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Despite many people hate Michael Moore, he made a very valid point in Bowling for Columbine - what the hell makes Americans so damn

Michael Moore is a biased and one sided person(liberal), to take his side is not good. Sure it would be ideal to have guns banned, but trying to do so would create such a rift between America that it would not even be worth it. There are millions of people in America that would die to protect their rights to bare arms and trying to take that away from them could cause a civil war. America had a civil war before and we will never let that happen again.

If you really understand our society, and you probably have seen a little bit of it from our television shows, movies, and videogames. Then you would know that America is a nation of people that don't take shit from anybody. If you push us, we'll push you back. An eye for an eye mentality. Plus we glorify violence in our media; as little kids in America we are exposed to these kind of things all the time. Violence is apart of our society and is apart of our past, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. America is still the greatest and most powerful nation in the world, you can't deny that.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
If you really understand our society, and you probably have seen a little bit of it from our television shows, movies, and videogames. Then you would know that America is a nation of people that don't take shit from anybody. If you push us, we'll push you back. An eye for an eye mentality. Plus we glorify violence in our media; as little kids in America we are exposed to these kind of things all the time. Violence is apart of our society and is apart of our past, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. America is still the greatest and most powerful nation in the world, you can't deny that.
I don't. And you just proved my point. It's in the culture; now deal with it yourselves. I'm just sick of people saying it's a global problem, 'cause it's not.
There aren't such massive homicides outside of the States.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't. And you just proved my point. It's in the culture; now deal with it yourselves. I'm just sick of people saying it's a global problem, 'cause it's not.

What I don't like is people talking all this stuff about knowing the solution, when they have no idea about American laws and our society. There are massive homicides around the world, it's just not as documented and media exposed as America's (can you deny that and don't talk about just your country, remember you said globally).

L

lastdual

Um...

1998-2000 Murders (per capita) by Country (and 2003 stats)

#1 Colombia: 0.617847 per 1,000 people
#2 South Africa: 0.496008 per 1,000 people
#3 Jamaica: 0.324196 per 1,000 people
#4 Venezuela: 0.316138 per 1,000 people
#5 Russia: 0.201534 per 1,000 people
#6 Mexico: 0.130213 per 1,000 people
#7 Estonia: 0.107277 per 1,000 people
#8 Latvia: 0.10393 per 1,000 people
#9 Lithuania: 0.102863 per 1,000 people
#10 Belarus: 0.0983495 per 1,000 people
#11 Ukraine: 0.094006 per 1,000 people
#12 Papua New Guinea: 0.0838593 per 1,000 people
#13 Kyrgyzstan: 0.0802565 per 1,000 people
#14 Thailand: 0.0800798 per 1,000 people
#15 Moldova: 0.0781145 per 1,000 people
#16 Zimbabwe: 0.0749938 per 1,000 people
#17 Seychelles: 0.0739025 per 1,000 people
#18 Zambia: 0.070769 per 1,000 people
#19 Costa Rica: 0.061006 per 1,000 people
#20 Poland: 0.0562789 per 1,000 people

....The US ranks down at #24

Also, there are at least 2 cases recently where similar shootings were prevented by responsible citizens who were carrying guns with concealed weapons licences. Michael Moore is out of touch with reality, and the US is far from the most violent place to live.

vv - fixed
biggrin.gif

moribund112

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
There are massive homicides everywhere in the globe.
Two weeks ago in Lijiang, China a man went wild with a knife and stabbed over 25 people, men, women, and children in a public square.

Was this in the news? No, because here is China. China is a peaceful country, unlike the violent Americans..
wink.gif
, and it wouldn't be as sensational as if it were an American event. Anything to jump on them is game it seems...

America gets a bad rap all the time because of our apparent "gun" culture. I can tell you the times I've seen guns in my life on two hands, and the majority of those times were at shooting ranges.

Violence is glorified all over the world, not just in America. Anyone who says otherwise is an absolute liar; I've traveled to many places and people watch the same rubbish on television everywhere. Violence is more a part of any European's past than it is for any American currently alive. To say that it's an inalienable part of our culture is just ignorant. The Europeans had two world wars fought on their soil, in their towns and homes, and then half of them spent the next fifty years after that behind the iron curtain where violence and militarism was a way of life. What's the difference between the Europeans then, and the Americans?

It's availablity, folks.
Can a Frenchman own a personal firearm? Damn right he can, although he must have a hunting license, and go through numerous areas of red tape to get one.

In America we do have systems to make sure those who shouldn't have guns don't - that's the Brady Bill. However, it's still far too easy to get a gun, legally or otherwise.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If you don't believe this, you're simply ignorant. People who want to kill will do so, regardless of whether or not they have a gun. A gun simply makes it much easier to do so.

What it comes down to is education. It comes down to proper parenting. Wouldn't you know if your son or daughter has a gun in their room?

And to think, this guy wasn't even American...what's that say about South Koreans then? How did a non-citizen acquire two handguns? In my opinion that's something that needs to be investigated.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
vt.jpg

So the guy was from S.Korea after all?
What about all this talk about fucked up Americans children then ?
Can't make much of an argument out of it now, can we ?
And Jack Thompson should really quit his career, according to the news shooting in campus happened in the 60's and even in the 1800's way before videogames could affect our judgment...
And by the way, maybe it's easy to get a hold of a gun over here, but then again if this guy wasn't studing in America but in another country, probably qwould have come up with another way to perform his actions, like an home made bomb of some sort or poisons or whatever the hell happens in other rough countries like in Iraq.
If he was determined to kill that day....

Zaraf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So the guy was Korean? Hmmm...

You know what's kind of interesting about all of this...is seeing the double standard that exists in the US media. If this had been a "Muslim" or an "Arab" guy, then all of the news reports would have "Terrorist attack his Virginia Tech!"

And instead of just condolences on TV, you'd see Bush saying stuff like "THIS is why our troops are over there in Iraq right now! It's to protect the America FREEDOM! We're the land of the FREE! Home to the BRAVE!"

So Bush, you going to send troops to Korea now?

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So the guy was Korean? Hmmm...

You know what's kind of interesting about all of this...is seeing the double standard that exists in the US media. If this had been a "Muslim" or an "Arab" guy, then all of the news reports would have "Terrorist attack his Virginia Tech!"

And instead of just condolences on TV, you'd see Bush saying stuff like "THIS is why our troops are over there in Iraq right now! It's to protect the America FREEDOM! We're the land of the FREE! Home to the BRAVE!"

So Bush, you going to send troops to Korea now?

You know what they say, if a muslim commits a crime its because of religion, if christian/jew/whatever commints a crime its because of personal problems

In other news, people seem to be really capitalizing on this,

Debbie Schlussel

Dr. Phil

and of course Scientology

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4