• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Wtf Is Wrong With This World :(

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think we can all agree on this:

We should make a clone army of Chuck Norris.

Q~

the most serious thing in this entire thread, there should be Chuck Norris law enforcement! No-one would break the law!

Although with more than one Chuck Norris there would be competition between the Chuck's and it would inevitably turn the world into one big black hole because it cannot handle the immense force of more than one of the almighty Chuck Norris! lol

Qpido

Call me Q.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, guys.

Just stop it, it's not about trying to outsmart each other by highlighting the most common of mistakes and fuck-ups.
If there was a mod thingy that could silence your voices for an hour, I'd want that to be put into action right now.
I'm positive this won't help anyone and would not make and dead person feel more at ease.

Cut it out.

Q~

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I want this thread to be closed, I'm tired of arguing and generally tired so am going to go and get some shut eye. Bye everyone.

QUOTE said:
From CNN

• University officials say 33 dead, including gunman
• Four hospitals report 29 wounded
• Attacks mark deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history
• Student describes situation as "mayhem"; says 2 students jumped from window

Before I go I just want to send my condolences to all the families who have lost those close to them. R.I.P

Thanatos-Drive

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem with stopping the selling of guns to the public, is that the criminals will then have the guns and the public will have no way to defend.

No the public will respond with the Police.

Here's the situation in America, a criminal goes to mug someone and has a gun, the victim pulls out a gun to defend, someone gets shot and at the same time forms an enemy.

In the UK, the victim hands over their purse/wallet. Yes this may seem a sissy approach but no-one gets hurt and the victim can report the crime and hopefully the mugger get's prosecuted and is ordered to pay a fine.

Now looking at the number for crime and killing in bother countries which system is more effective.

Obviously the system in the Uk isn't perfect, if I had it my way if someone came into my house and was walking out the door with my TV then I should have the right to whack them with a baseball bat but when it's outside in public i think most people will agree that the US law is flawed.

Your cause: (handing over the purse/wallet), does not support the effect: (less deaths). You cannot prove this. It could be that more people in America have twitchy fingers, there are more muggings in America, there is better insurance to UK muggings, etc. I however do agree, that if mugged, I would rather hand over my wallet than potentially be shot. You have to take into consideration though, that the mugger might shoot you anyway. (You are, after all, a witness to the crime.)

haha I think he meant "you don't represent everyone in the USAs point of view", and you've taken it as "not everyone is you" shows that you're not very smart now doesn't it. Didn't want to get personal but you've shown you don't know much by this comment

It's called sarcasm. It was meant to make you chuckle or perhaps even laugh. And yes, you just did get personal, but it's okay, because I'm not too bothered by insults.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem with stopping the selling of guns to the public, is that the criminals will then have the guns and the public will have no way to defend.

No the public will respond with the Police.

Here's the situation in America, a criminal goes to mug someone and has a gun, the victim pulls out a gun to defend, someone gets shot and at the same time forms an enemy.

In the UK, the victim hands over their purse/wallet. Yes this may seem a sissy approach but no-one gets hurt and the victim can report the crime and hopefully the mugger get's prosecuted and is ordered to pay a fine.

Now looking at the number for crime and killing in bother countries which system is more effective.

Obviously the system in the Uk isn't perfect, if I had it my way if someone came into my house and was walking out the door with my TV then I should have the right to whack them with a baseball bat but when it's outside in public i think most people will agree that the US law is flawed.

You don't understand, you are only thinking one sided. What works for a country does not automatically means that it will work for another. What's good for one country, does not means it's good for another. UK laws are also flawed, just like ours and every single country in this world. We are all just doing our best. Like it or hate it, guns are here to stay( sad but true). :'( :'(

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ahhhh yes I forgot about the whole twitchy finger syndrome that must be the cause for all the deaths in America [/sarcasm]

bye bye now

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I just spent the day in the newsroom going over the massacre. Literally everyone is doing some sort of story about it from various different angles. The overhead TV was on with live news updates and eye witness accounts. Pretty depressing stuff.

And this is in Australia...

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
i think its because pokemon wasnt released somebody got mad
What the? Are you serious? If not you shouldn't say things like this. Where are the military police in situation like this? Those guys move 10x faster and with amazing strategy and tactics and you leave it to the civis to stop monsters like these.

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
hoesntly this fuckign sucks... so fucking fucked
frown.gif
(( anyone know if this guy was racist/goth/loonie/gamer/pokemon-fan/jack thompson hater/crackhead/whatever? AND WHY THE HELL WHEN YOU WANT TO KILL YOURSELF YOU NEED TO START FROM OTHERS. god damn, just shoot yourself first.

phuzzz

Hooha!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Committing suicide escapes accepting responsibility for his actions. It's possible that he went on some kind of a weird rampage, woke up, and shot himself so he wouldn't have to explain himself.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Not something surprising really.
Some people go crazy when life just isn't going their way.

My philosophy teacher mentioned today a past dicussion he had with his colleague about a similar event. The colleague said something along the lines of "why do these things happen?" and my teacher said "i'm surprised they don't happen more often".
It's like people commititng suicide after losing their job and wife. If it's their most important things, it's no wonder they give up hope.

Just thought i'd mention this as it's relevant.

Thanatos-Drive

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For all your information, current news suggests he was looking for his ex-girlfriend, or a man his ex-girlfriend had an affair with.

CNN news has no information as to who the killer is yet.

This is the CNN report at the time of my posting:

QUOTE said:
BLACKSBURG, Virginia (CNN) -- A gunman who killed at least 30 people in one of two shootings on the campus of Virginia Tech was dressed "almost like a Boy Scout," said a student who survived by pretending to lie dead on a classroom floor.

"He just stepped within five feet of the door and just started firing," said Erin Sheehan, who was in one of the Norris Hall classrooms where the second shooting incident took place.

Sheehan described the gunman -- who later shot and killed himself, according to police -- as a young man wearing a short-sleeved tan shirt and black ammunition vest.

"He seemed very thorough about it -- getting almost everyone down -- I pretended to be dead," she said. (Watch student describe surviving by playing dead Video)

"He was very silent," said Sheehan, one of only four students in her 25-student German class who were not shot.

The gunman left but returned in about 30 seconds. "I guess he heard us still talking," said Sheehan.

"We forced ourselves against the door so he couldn't come in again, because the door would not lock."

The man tried three more times to force his way in and then began firing through the door, she said.

Student Tiffany Otey was taking a test inside Norris Hall when the shooting began. She and about 20 other people took refuge behind a locked door in a teacher's office.

Police officers with bulletproof vests and machine guns were in the area.(Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs Video)

"They were telling us to put our hands above our head and if we didn't cooperate and put our hands above our heads they would shoot," Otey said. "I guess they were afraid, like us -- like the shooter was going to be among one of us." (Watch students react to shooting Video)

Some students leaped from windows to escape, said Matt Waldron.

"These two kids, I guess, had panicked and jumped out of the top-story window, and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

Madison Van Duyne said she and her classmates in a media writing class were on "lockdown" in their classroom, where they where writing about the shootings and posting online.
Shooter chained doors shut

University President Charles Steger told reporters Monday night that police found the front doors of Norris Hall chained shut and that by the time they got to the second floor, the gunfire stopped. (Watch gunfire on the campus Video)

The shooter attacked more than one classroom at Norris Hall, according to police. The death total there -- 31 including the gunman -- makes it the deadliest shooting in U.S. history.

A law enforcement source close to the investigation told CNN a .22-caliber handgun and a 9 mm handgun were recovered at the scene.

University police Chief Wendell Flinchum said at a Monday night news conference that authorities had a preliminary identification of the shooter at Norris Hall but were not releasing it.
Dormitory shooting two hours earlier

Two people were killed in a separate incident at a dormitory on the campus about two hours before the Norris Hall incident, at around 7:15 a.m.

The dormitory, West Ambler Johnston Hall, houses 895 students and is located near the drill field and stadium. (Campus map)

Flinchum said police were still investigating whether the two incidents are related.

At a news conference Monday afternoon, Flinchum did not rule out a separate shooter for the dormitory incident. (Watch the police chief explain where bodies were found Video)

At the time of the later shootings at Norris Hall, police were investigating a "person of interest" in the dormitory shootings, Flinchum said. But the man -- a non-student who knew one of the victims -- had not been arrested, and it is unclear if he has any link to the other gunman, he said.
One dormitory victim identified

Courtney Dalton, an 18-year-old student who worked at West End Dining Hall, said a friend named Ryan Clark was one of the two dormitory victims.

She said Clark, a resident assistant at West Ambler Johnston Hall, had once worked at the cafeteria serving pizza.

"He was a happy person; this is really sad," she said, sobbing.

"All I can do is pray for his family now," she told CNN.com.
Officials thought first incident was isolated

Asked why the campus, which has more than 26,000 students, was not shut down after the first shooting, Flinchum responded that police determined "it was an isolated event to that building and the decision was made not to cancel classes at that time." (Officials thought shooter had fled)

The university has scheduled a convocation for 2 p.m. ET Tuesday. Classes also have been canceled Tuesday. In Washington, the House and Senate observed moments of silence for the victims and President Bush said the nation was "shocked and saddened" by news of the tragedy.

Last August, the first day of class was cut short at Virginia Tech by a manhunt for an escaped prisoner accused of killing a Blacksburg hospital security guard and a sheriff's deputy.

Before Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in the United States occurred in 1991, when George Hennard drove a pickup truck into a Killeen, Texas, cafeteria and fatally shot 23 people, before shooting and killing himself.

CNN's Ashley Fantz and Jeanne Meserve contributed to this report.

On a sidenote: Glad to see there's no more 'hate America' statements.

EDIT: Bolding appropriate parts of the article.
EDIT: Added comments.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling.