LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howdy peeps :)

Now I'm Temp's resident Android fanboy but even I can admit when a version of Android absolutely sucks. I made this thread because I wanted to see which version of Android, most here are not fond of. I know some iOS fanboy will sneak in here and sing praises of Apple but this thread is all about constructive criticism. Personally I think that Android 5.0-5.1 SUCK! Sure, it's basically the footprint for the current look of Android, as much as I would say that 3.0 did the same for everything 3.0 - 4.4. That said, if you're an Android gamer, coming from 4.4 to 5.0-5.1 is a huge crash and burn.

When the Android 5 versions came out people were all excited about the way Android 5 changes how SD cards are used. In reality, SD card usage was fucked up. At least 4.4 and most below understood that when you install a game, install the damn "data" and "obb" folders onto the same damn SD card. In the case of Android 5, SURE, you can install a app to the SD card...just not the damn "data" and "obb" folders! What good does it do to have the 40mb apk file for Asphalt 8 on my SD card if the damn 2 gigs of data is still on my internal storage?!?! WTF Google?! Even worse, when Android implemented Android 5 for their Fire devices, that issue was never fixed. WTF Amazon?! They actually gave up USB storage in their previous OS version for this crap! Oh BTW, for most mid to low range Android devices you average between 4-8 gigs of internal storage.

Android 5 is a slap in the face to every Android gamer. For all the good features that Android 5 introduced, being forced to root to have proper storage support is annoying! So that's it. That's my two cents. I can't stand Android 5.0 - 5.1 and ironically I have a 5.1 device to root this weekend :P

Reactions: THYPLEX and elBenyo

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In my very irrelevant contribution to the topic I may say that right now Andoird 7.0-current suck big time.
Hell, I really miss the old times on 6.0 when whenever I wanted to use my bluetooth headphones, they just connected fine.
The current version behaves so weird that sometimes I even have to reboot the phones because it decides it does not want to connect to the headphones.

I don't game often in my phones, but at least whatever I play worked fine when I had Android 4/5/6/7.

CrimsonMaple

Developer • She/Her
Trophies
Website
crimson.ninja
XP
Country
United States
Really? I have found Android 5.X+ to be breath of fresh air. It brought around a new UI that looks much more sleek and modern, while also updating the base source code to make games run more optimized. (Well, if its not a Java game..) The ART is a beautiful thing. While granted the storage issues are there most of this can largely be fixed with a custom ROM, or rooting. Which isn't a big issue and is highly supported in the android community. And everything just got more refined. Like with Android 6 which implemented the ability to adopt SD storage as internal, and sleep. While Android 7 was mostly under the hood, (making java written applications much more efficient.) And much better notifications.

Edit: also mid to low range devices are getting 16-32 GB base models nowadays. Its actually more expensive to get that small of flash memory. That's why the base model iPhone is 32gb instead of 16gb now.

Last edited by CrimsonMaple,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I assume we're not counting things like 3 (Honeycomb was easily the worst thing I've used...ever) or pretty much any 1.x versions (and some 2.x) as well, since that was just when Android was getting started and still had a lot of things to fix (though Gingerbread, specifically 2.3.6, was probably the most stable and well-running Android version I've ever used on any device).

I wouldn't say 5 was bad, since it added a lot of neat things that makes modern Android great, but pretty much everything after that has been kinda meh. Like Marshmellow didn't really introduce any big "need it" features, mostly just Doze and USB-C AFAIK and then a bunch of small stuff not many people care about. And 7 is mainly just improvements they should've made with 6 or a 6.2 or .6.5 or whatever, like the new JIT compiler and that bandwidth limiting thing which was neat, it didn't need to even be a new "version".

I think 4.4 was basically the peak of Android and ever since it's sort of been...meh. I mean, 5 is good, 6 on it's own wasn't bad, and so far what I've used of 7 is ok, but it's nothing monumentally good like 4.4 was/still is. I honestly can't believe they're already releasing alpha builds of 8 when 7 came out, what, not even half a year ago?

Reactions: CrimsonMaple

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm still running 4.4.4.
Eat me.

Then again, I only care about running a stock android with as little shit preinstalled as possible.
I still think "android gaming" is a laugh and will never rise above the image of being for casuals.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume we're not counting things like 3 (Honeycomb was easily the worst thing I've used...ever) or pretty much any 1.x versions (and some 2.x) as well, since that was just when Android was getting started and still had a lot of things to fix (though Gingerbread, specifically 2.3.6, was probably the most stable and well-running Android version I've ever used on any device).

I wouldn't say 5 was bad, since it added a lot of neat things that makes modern Android great, but pretty much everything after that has been kinda meh. Like Marshmellow didn't really introduce any big "need it" features, mostly just Doze and USB-C AFAIK and then a bunch of small stuff not many people care about. And 7 is mainly just improvements they should've made with 6 or a 6.2 or .6.5 or whatever, like the new JIT compiler and that bandwidth limiting thing which was neat, it didn't need to even be a new "version".

I think 4.4 was basically the peak of Android and ever since it's sort of been...meh. I mean, 5 is good, 6 on it's own wasn't bad, and so far what I've used of 7 is ok, but it's nothing monumentally good like 4.4 was/still is. I honestly can't believe they're already releasing alpha builds of 8 when 7 came out, what, not even half a year ago?

Out of curiousity, why was 3.0 the worst version of Android you've used?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Multiple reasons, but mainly the performance with the OS itself was awful, the whole "tablet only" thing caused a lot of incompatibility with some apps back in the day, and rampant instability (the tablets I've used it on would crash at least 2 times during use, without fail. Granted, one of those was an HP Touchpad but still...). The lack of tablets with 3 also sucked, cuz Google pretty much dropped it once ICS came out so it didn't get much fixed.

The UI was nice, though, one of the better tablet UIs still today.

Reactions: LightyKD

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Android keeps shooting itself in the foot implementing stupid features nobody even cares about.

The constant, unecessary, changing of the way SD cards are handled is confusing for the user and a headache for the developer.

I'm not sure in what version of Android Google decided that UIs would no longer be navigable with keyboards/joypads ... But that change means that TV boxes on that version now require a mouse to navigate.

The changing of Bluetooth resulting in Wiimotes not working is another PITA

There's now a OS limit to how many SMS messages that can be sent in an hour and you get a nag for *each* message you want to send after that and there's *no* way to turn it off. Just like the SD situation this is something Google implemented that *nobody* asked for.

It's unfortunate that the best mobile OS around has so many design flaws and that Google seem intent on making more and more as time goes on.

Reactions: VzUh
D

Deleted User

Honeycomb [3.0] was pretty awful, it only lasted a few months before Google pushed update for ICS [4.0?]

Still, Kitkat [4.4] is pretty good but i like Material design more on Marshmallow [6.0] and Lollipop [5.0]

Rangnarok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Android 5 is not good at all. Killed my Nexus 7 (2012). Read around the net and see that it messed up others tablets and phones too.

I am using Android 7 ASOP at the moment and it is fine!

D

Deleted User

Android 5 is not good at all. Killed my Nexus 7 (2012). Read around the net and see that it messed up others tablets and phones too.

I am using Android 7 ASOP at the moment and it is fine!
Well, i only uses Lollipop on my PC (Dual-boot c:) Otherwise, i only had phones with Kitkat.
Can't wait till Google releases Source Code for Nougat. I want to upgrade my Android Dual-Boot on my PC..

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still hanging around on 4.4.2, lol. SD cards and ART were a pain to deal with on 5, and I honestly don't like the Material Design implementation (3 years later and still no dark mode for basically anything? Come on.)

I don't really do many android games, but I did have serious battery drain and slowdowns on 5, so i downgraded and haven't had any significant problems since. (G900v)

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
As someone who's used Android since 2.2 i'd say 5.0 was by far the worst version of Android. If the phone was in silent mode it would silence all alarms too. The best you could do was put the phone in vibrate mode if you wanted alarms to sound.

Personally when i'm sleeping i want everything silenced and only alarms to sound, as it's always been.

Thankfully Xposed plugins eventually fixed this, and it returned to been the norm on Android 6.0. I'm currently on 6.0 and is by far my favorite version so far. I've not flashed any 7.0 roms yet as i prefer stability over the latest and greatest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs