Retroid Pocket 4 Pro

Smoker1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with the RP4P, it is a step up from the Anbernic RG405V in some ways, but a step down in others. Way I see it......

PROS :
FM Unlocked
Much better Button Mapping to the Screen.
Analog Triggers :D
Has Home and Back Buttons (RG405V just has a Back-Home Combo you have to Hold to go to Home Screen)
Access to Android-Data or OBB Directories with Android 13
DPad is like the Vita, but not sure if exactly the same Size. Want to Order a Replacement DPad that is the Vita's. Looks like it is about the same size (I got the 3G Vita Model).
PS2 Emulation is MUCH better.
Bejeweled Classic WORKS!!!!! Have to make sure it stays on Portrait for that though.
----Update - After a recent Bejeweled Update, it is now in Tablet Landscape Mode. If it looks like it is messed up when you resume a Game, just continue on as best you can. Eventually it will correct itself, and work perfectly.

CONS :
FM may be unlocked, but you can only use the Included FM Radio App. NextRadio and others have Issues or will not work.
Limited Root Access. Requires a Script in order to use. So no Access to Data-User or Data-Data Directories.
Unable to Resize the Remap Buttons if needed for Button Mapping (From GPD XD Button Mapping Software Features)
Home Button you have to Press 2x to go to Home Screen (good for if accidentally Pressed, but still).
Clearing the Recent Apps List is a little Tricky. Have to Swipe Up a certain way or also Swipe Up to the Right to bring up the Recently Used Apps List.
Should have a Auto Option for Fan, but also need a Auto Option for Performance. The Phawx did a Review and showed how for 1 Game being Emulated, if you set the Performance to "Performance" or "High Performance" it works better, or has less Sound Issues (think was a PPSSPP Game)
As with the RG405V, some Emu's or Apps do not seem to Detect the Rumble Motors.
Not sure, but if there could be a Added Level (RP4 or RP4P but RP4P-Max) with a Slide-Out Keyboard. The On-Screen Keyboard has Problems. Supposed to be Across the Screen, but for some reason, it is only 1/2 the screen, so bunched up, and sometimes you miss a lot of the time. Android needs to fix that. So if you have a Bluetooth Keyboard, that will help. Kind of the same Issue with the RG405V, but I fixed it somehow, but forgot how I did it.

Not sure if it is the MicroSD/TF Card Reader, or the USB-C Connector, or the Software of both Devices, but expect Transfer Issues at times. If it is something going to the MSD-TF, use a Card Reader on your Computer or Laptop to do it.

But to finalize, I boxed up my RG405V, and am using my RP4P as Primary Device.

Last edited by Smoker1,
Reactions: ClementNerma

pojes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with the RP4P, it is a step up from the Anbernic RG405V in some ways, but a step down in others. Way I see it......

PROS :
FM Unlocked
Much better Button Mapping to the Screen.
Analog Triggers :D
Has Home and Back Buttons (RG405V just has a Back-Home Combo you have to Hold to go to Home Screen)
Access to Android-Data or OBB Directories with Android 13
DPad is like the Vita, but not sure if exactly the same Size. Want to Order a Replacement DPad that is the Vita's. Looks like it is about the same size (I got the 3G Vita Model).
PS2 Emulation is MUCH better.
Bejeweled Classic WORKS!!!!! Have to make sure it stays on Portrait for that though.
----Update - After a recent Bejeweled Update, it is now in Tablet Landscape Mode. If it looks like it is messed up when you resume a Game, just continue on as best you can. Eventually it will correct itself, and work perfectly.

CONS :
FM may be unlocked, but you can only use the Included FM Radio App. NextRadio and others have Issues or will not work.
Limited Root Access. Requires a Script in order to use. So no Access to Data-User or Data-Data Directories.
Unable to Resize the Remap Buttons if needed for Button Mapping (From GPD XD Button Mapping Software Features)
Home Button you have to Press 2x to go to Home Screen (good for if accidentally Pressed, but still).
Clearing the Recent Apps List is a little Tricky. Have to Swipe Up a certain way or also Swipe Up to the Right to bring up the Recently Used Apps List.
Should have a Auto Option for Fan, but also need a Auto Option for Performance. The Phawx did a Review and showed how for 1 Game being Emulated, if you set the Performance to "Performance" or "High Performance" it works better, or has less Sound Issues (think was a PPSSPP Game)
As with the RG405V, some Emu's or Apps do not seem to Detect the Rumble Motors.
Not sure, but if there could be an added level (RP4 or RP4P but RP4P-Max) with a slide-out keyboard. The on-screen keyboard has problems. Supposed to be across the screen, but for some reason, it is only 1/2 the screen, so bunched up, and sometimes you miss a lot of the time. Android needs to fix that. So if you have a Bluetooth Keyboard, that will help. Kind of the same issue with the RG405V, but I fixed it somehow, but forgot how I did it. Alternatively, utilizing an Painters Bellevue WA could provide solutions to optimize your device's functionality and address keyboard display issues.

Not sure if it is the MicroSD/TF Card Reader, or the USB-C Connector, or the Software of both Devices, but expect Transfer Issues at times. If it is something going to the MSD-TF, use a Card Reader on your Computer or Laptop to do it.

But to finalize, I boxed up my RG405V, and am using my RP4P as Primary Device.
  1. FM Unlocked
  2. Much better Button Mapping to the Screen.
  3. Analog Triggers
  4. Has Home and Back Buttons
  5. Access to Android-Data or OBB Directories with Android 13
  6. DPad is like the Vita
  7. PS2 Emulation is MUCH better.
  8. Bejeweled Classic WORKS!!!!
CONS:

1. Limited Root Access.
  2. Unable to Resize the Remap Buttons if needed for Button Mapping
  3. Home Button you have to Press 2x to go to Home Screen
  4. Clearing the Recent Apps List is a little Tricky.
  5. Should have a Auto Option for Fan.
  6. Some Emu's or Apps do not seem to Detect the Rumble Motors.
  7. On-Screen Keyboard has Problems.
  8. Expect Transfer Issues at times.
In summary, despite its drawbacks, I've decided to switch to using my RP4P as my primary device, boxing up my RG405V. However, there are still some areas where the RP4P could improve, particularly in terms of software functionality and compatibility.

Last edited by pojes,
Reactions: Quore

Smoker1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be careful with the Analog Triggers. Apparently there have been reports of them Breaking (Spring and the Trigger is Magnetic). Had to Order a new Back Plate, and until it Arrives, I had to go Ghetto with mine. Currently rigged with a small Clothespin spring. LOL. Not my best work rigging, but it will do.

QuestionEmulation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed the triggers are different in comparison to the RP3+ (its L2/R2), which unfortunately had a big dilemma that caused them to offer a 2-year warranty for specific orders.

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed the triggers are different in comparison to the RP3+ (its L2/R2), which unfortunately had a big dilemma that caused them to offer a 2-year warranty for specific orders.
Yeah, I ordered 2 replacement back Panels just in case. From what I read and quickly saw in a Disassembly Video of the AYN Odin 2, it looks like it has a MUCH better Spring for the L2-R2 Buttons. Still Magnetic, but the Springs are not just one sided Spring. It is in the Middle, and goes to both Sides.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto