Hacking wiikey installed... which discs to use now to config?

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the wiikey installed. I was under the impression I could just burn a backup and it would work. Looks like that isn't the case... no problem. I've downloaded several files and it isn't clear which iso I need to feed the wii first.

I have...

GCOS NTSC.iso - 7.04mb
bootdisc.us.iso - 6.65mb
wiikey 1.9.us.iso - 39.5mb
cfg.1.9s.us.iso - 7.2mb

Do I just burn these as an img in imgburn?

I'm not getting the black DRE screen with anything. I just get an error when I click on the disc channel saying the disc can't be read. I have two types of media here. Getting ready to pop in an HP disc

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No matter what I put in there I get an error saying "wii can not read the disc consult the owner's manual".

I did get a DRE once but only once. Every other time it's like it doesn't even try to read it. I've tried two different brands of media. I guess I can go buy some verbatim tomorrow but I don't feel like that's the problem here.

wilsey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.emuxhaven.net
XP
Country
The reason your getting none read is because you need to pad the image to be 1.35gb (GC IMAGE SIZE)
am guessing you own an NTSC wii so here is pre-padded images of latest firmware and Config disks, just burn with imgburn

1.9s US

Config 1.4 US

Config 1.9 US is the same as Config 1.4 US just renamed
smile.gif

So first flash the Firmware with the flash disk
Then config with the config disc, Region Free, Block Updates, and your all set to go

Edit...Spelling
wink.gif

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No luck on either of those. I guess I can buy some discs tomorrow but it looks like a defective chip to me.

It's a wiikey w/ the wiiclip by the way. Install looks fine so it must be something physical. Oh well.

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm at 3.0u. Mario Galaxy is the newest game I've played.

I tried Khypermedia -R and HP +R discs. Both burned at 2x. I now have 8 coasters and counting
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help.

wilsey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.emuxhaven.net
XP
Country
try burning at 6X , has never failed on me, if you can play galaxy your on firmware 1.9G,

i also have the wii-clip/wiikey and have never had an issue

If you have the homebrew channel loaded you could try the new GCbooter App just released, i havnt tried it yet so cant really give you advice on it

I dont want you wasting anymore discs but i would try burning at 6X with IMGBURN

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Man I don't know what the deal is. It still says unable to read disc.

Is there any way to tell if the modchip is working? I hate to try to get a refund on this thing if it's something I did.

It's a D2B drive. The clip snapped right on and doesn't move around or anything. I'll buy some more discs tomorrow but that's the only other thing I can think of.

wilsey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.emuxhaven.net
XP
Country
Have you tried any WII backups ? Can you still plau originals?

i really dont have anymore suggestions, could be a defective chip, could also be the media

i personaly use Kodak DVD-Rs and RiVision DVD+Rs burned at 6X for all my backups and never had any probs

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I did try one wii backup and got the same unable to read disc thing.

If I put in a retail copy of mario galaxy it pops right up though. That's why I thought maybe the chip wasn't even working. It acts like it can't even attempt to read the burned discs. Seems like I'd be getting DRE's if the chip were working and it was bad media

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pulled everything back apart so I could reseat the wiiclip. It's still doing the same stuff. I ran back through all 10 discs and it couldn't read any of them. I'll try another brand tomorrow and then this thing is going in the trash where it belongs
smile.gif

wilsey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.emuxhaven.net
XP
Country
And you remebered to put the paper cover over the wiiclip to prevent shorting?

If so and it doesnt work on your new media i would have to say its a defective chip, i doubt this will help but you could try the wiikey recovery disc

Wiikey Recover 1.9b

Burn that at 6X with IMGBURN, your wii wont be able to read it and it will be like the others, leave it in and stay on the main menu, reset your wii 3-4 times on 2min intervals, hopefully after that you will see a Gamecube logo appear on the Disc channel

Worth a try before you Send it back/DropKick it out the window
biggrin.gif

wilsey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.emuxhaven.net
XP
Country
thepspgamer said:
this thread is making me nervous, i just ordered the same chip

wiikey with wiiclip, i hope i dont have the same issues...

before i bought the wiiclip/wiikey i saw that many posts with problems, but i havnt had one issue with mine

does exactly what it says one the tin

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Have you checked for 'cut legs' on the d2b chip ?

Do you ever get the Gamecube logo when inserting a config disc ?

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There are no cut legs on the chip.

I found some maxxell discs and tried those too. Nothing happens. It obviously can not read burned discs at all.

I don't get the gamecube logo. It just says 'unable to read disc' no matter what kind of disc I use. I might as well be putting playstation discs in there hehe. I don't know, I'm out of ideas at this point. I've wasted 12 discs and am pretty aggravated with the whole thing.

I might pick up some verbatims one of these days and try them but I really don't think that's the problem. Wouldn't I be getting DRE's if the media was the culprit? Seems like a bad chip to me.

wilsey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.emuxhaven.net
XP
Country
ole jason said:
There are no cut legs on the chip.

I found some maxxell discs and tried those too. Nothing happens. It obviously can not read burned discs at all.

I don't get the gamecube logo. It just says 'unable to read disc' no matter what kind of disc I use. I might as well be putting playstation discs in there hehe. I don't know, I'm out of ideas at this point. I've wasted 12 discs and am pretty aggravated with the whole thing.

I might pick up some verbatims one of these days and try them but I really don't think that's the problem. Wouldn't I be getting DRE's if the media was the culprit? Seems like a bad chip to me.

Media can be a problem, i use cheap ass £4 50pak DVD+Rs , altho most people swear only by Verbatims

I think you have a dead chip... i would send back and get replaced/refunded

I personaly got mine from 360upgrades for £25 which included a free Tri-wing and next day delivery

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I stopped by the store today and got some imation dvd-r's. It seems like most everyone has success with them and the wiikey. As expected the wii still can't read the disc. The chip obviously is not functioning.

I sent modchipcentral an email, hopefully their return policy is good and I don't get stuck paying shipping again. Seems like a good site though.

ole jason

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As I dismantled everything to take pictures for modchipcentral it dawned on me how loose the wiiclip seems to fit on my chip. How firm should it be? I remember my installation instructions talking about using a sharp object to disconnect the clip from the chip. I can easily pull the wiiclip off. It's not loose enough to fall off on it's own but it definitely does not 'snap' into place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kendrick lamar dropped the bar "fuck the big 3, it's just big me" when he featured on a song by...