Resurfaced Gamecube discs won't dump using CleanRip or USB Loader GX

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My dumping drive that I ordered just arrived. I had to plug it into the computer using a IDE to USB converter because apparently my old computer only accepts SATA drives internally.

I got it turned on, put one of my GC discs in it, started RawDump, the drive was recognized as a supported drive, and I clicked start dump. But a few seconds later an error pops up saying "Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.". I then tried friidump which appeared to work at first, but failed to retrieve the disc seeds.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm at my wit's end. If I can't dump these discs then I'm selling my Wii and Gamecube and everything that goes with them. I'm not gonna keep buying more and more copies of one game just because it refuses to dump to ISO.
Totally get your frustration. Investing more and more time+money… and no dice. Giving all of the things away doesn't help though.

Process of elimination requires a lot of patience… and already having some things (else it would continue the eternal buying even more).

Easy:​
Potentially not 100% easy:​
  • RawDump is an old close source Windows application. Run it on physical Windows XP computer, no VM, no newer Windows and not on Linux+Wine
  • USB → IDE could be the problem. A motherboard with real IDE is a lot better
  • Are there any official binaries for Friidump? Years ago I had to compile it myself for Ubuntu. Setting up development environment introduces a lot of potential problems…

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
USB → IDE could be the problem. A motherboard with real IDE is a lot better.
You could always resort to salvaging a cheap OEM USB disc drive that uses IDE and replace it with an LG drive.

Reactions: morning_glory

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hook-up your newly purchased external dvd directly to you Wii (via USB).
See how it goes reading.
What IDE/SATA to USB are you using (pic with info) ?
If it fails after a period of loading, then you can pretty well conclude the disc/s are damaged.
Examine your discs closely. Hold it up to the light & look for light penetrations, & report back.
Life's mostly full of shit, but please don't burn your bridges prematurely :)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hook-up your newly purchased external dvd directly to you Wii (via USB).
Are you sure this is a possibility?
After all the PC drive is not able to read GC/Wii discs just like normal DVDs. There are a lot of tricks used to extract data from drive RAM instead of the normal way.

I've never hooked up an external drive to a Wii before – no idea if it will even allow reading normal DVDs.

Reactions: Alexander1970

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
At least it will indicate if the dvd-rom is doing things positively.
The dvd-rom could be crapping itself, for all we know :(

I never used Friidump with GC rips :(
I do assume it works same/similar to Wii rips. Yeah, long time ZZzzzz

WarMasterXX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right I won't sell off anything yet. Here's the precompiled friidump I found, and again it says my disc drive is supported, so I have no idea why it keeps failing.

EDIT:
Now every time I try Rawdump it says I have a faulty drive, even though friidump says it's supported.

Last edited by WarMasterXX,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now every time I try Rawdump it says I have a faulty drive, even though friidump says it's supported.
That is the standard error it throws every time anything does not work.
For example, I never had any luck with double layer Wii games. According to RawDump I own five faulty drives when trying DL games. With single layer games none of them is "faulty".

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Because I don't like illegally downloading. I got caught for it twice and I don't wanna get in trouble again. Plus I don't know about you, but to me it feels SO much more comfortable being as clean of a gamer as I can be.
my life motto: eat clean, download dirty

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
my life motto: eat clean, download dirty
That is a personal decision. Some people simply don't want this.

This is not possible.
A bit off-topic
I'm pretty sure there is no way for a Wii reading original discs with an external drive (what would stop the PC doing the same with such a drive)?
We would need to have a standard drive to the processing of Nintendo Optical Discs. That would be awesome.

Only thing I got to work: WiiMC-SS can play DVD video from external drive and uloader can start burned copies of Wii games this way (a function that seems to be missing in every new USB loader). The backup DVD loading needs investigation regarding speed. Currently playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 from DVD-R. Loading times without modchip are a game of patience (and I have the patience of a very hungry 10-year old kid after drinking a liter of some energy drink). Let's see how the external thing fares.

• Love

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The HT-LG dvd-roms (8161-8164) can & will read/rip Wii games.
Hooking them them up to a Wii via usb adapter should be easy enough, but compatibility can sometimes be an issue.

Dual layer dvd reads failed with the initial Friidump, but the last or later release did the job.

As far as the playing original Wii dvds as compared to backup Wii dvds, I fail to see the ability not to read/access difference. The only difference would the boot info, & that's where the hacks/apps do their jobs.

As I previously stated, I haven't tried GC games to achieve this process.

I would still examine the disc more closely for damage/s.
I would also look at the IDE to USB adapter/interface compatibility. There is a compatible list here on GBA, but you will need to try it.

I'm just trying to save you some regrets, if you dump your Wii dream machine :)

WarMasterXX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave up, but am not selling off my Wii and Gamecube. I decided that the games I was trying to dump are stupid and don't need to be in my collection, and I'm gonna sell them instead (I own 3 of the 4 games for the PS2 anyway). As for the disc drive, I'm gonna sell that (and the USB converter) to one of my clients who just got a new laptop and would like to watch DVDs on it.

I'll have to buy a spare Wii later on though because the Wii I've been using doesn't accept Gamecube discs anymore and actually scratches them. It still works great with Wii discs though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto