Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

EstPC13

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Unrelated question: Is it allowed to post title.tik from a game? Because I want to be able to download games from NUSGrabber, and if it is, is there a title sharing thread? I wanna create one but I don't know.

Last edited by EstPC13,

Davor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

OpenSource

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus Christ...
You all took my wording out of context and turned this thread into a shitfest... again...
I already clarified things with naerhwert,
their work is not for release and uses a totally different exploit path then mine. This means they will be able to stockpile their exploit while I release mine. Problem solved.

I apologize if my wording was poor and it sounded like resentment or whatever. That was not what I meant.
I was simply stating that I would be moving on because they got there before me and have the means and time to build a great homebrew scene themselves (3DS was good example). Never I mentioned giving up or not releasing anything.

Who said I'm butt hurt? This is actually a relief. Having them taking over the Wii U scene saved me from a lot of headaches.
I'm a bit annoyed at myself for tooking longer than I desired, but I always shared what I had.
It was a race to get there and I lost, that's all.

Just curious what your background in coding is? I'm going for my second degree (this time in IT Networking, already have my A+), and I really enjoy the history of how things progressed in computing. Way back with the Altair, the first PC, was released there was a 'Homebrew Computer Club' out in California where all these guys got together to share and show off how to get this seemingly 'useless' machine to do something. Woz and a bunch of other guys who played big roles in computing were there to learn and share ideas and information.

It's too bad you think it's a headache, or it was even a race. Hopefully just the fact you learned something about getting into the internals of the system and cracking the system open was rewarding enough, I know I would enjoy being able to do something like that on my own regardless of what some other person did. I've never gotten the point why some people crack things, then don't share the information, or get annoyed at others who might not like the way they do things. We're all enthusiasts, and many like the information as a tool to learn or build off of to make their own idea work.

I think everyone who's worked on cracking any system should share their work in the spirit of the way others did in the past when it came to cracking hardware. Imagine if Woz said, 'well I made my Apple I I wanted, I'm taking my ball and going home, the rest of you can just figure it out' - we never would have gotten the spark that set off the PC revolution.

I understand the anonymity of the internet isn't exactly kind, but if every person ran off at the sight of someone's jackass opinion, there would only be one person left on the internet. And that would be whoever logged on last! Those rushing you, or anyone else, most likely have their own problems they're ignoring. Be it to make their own games run faster, use emulators, or to pirate games; what I've learned is that all it does it make you feel empty worrying about hoarding a library of games to play instead of doing something much more productive with their life. So don't worry about them and keep up the good work, and hopefully others will follow your lead and release their information to help others in the future.

punkskaguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just curious what your background in coding is? I'm going for my second degree (this time in IT Networking, already have my A+), and I really enjoy the history of how things progressed in computing. Way back with the Altair, the first PC, was released there was a 'Homebrew Computer Club' out in California where all these guys got together to share and show off how to get this seemingly 'useless' machine to do something. Woz and a bunch of other guys who played big roles in computing were there to learn and share ideas and information.

It's too bad you think it's a headache, or it was even a race. Hopefully just the fact you learned something about getting into the internals of the system and cracking the system open was rewarding enough, I know I would enjoy being able to do something like that on my own regardless of what some other person did. I've never gotten the point why some people crack things, then don't share the information, or get annoyed at others who might not like the way they do things. We're all enthusiasts, and many like the information as a tool to learn or build off of to make their own idea work.

I think everyone who's worked on cracking any system should share their work in the spirit of the way others did in the past when it came to cracking hardware. Imagine if Woz said, 'well I made my Apple I I wanted, I'm taking my ball and going home, the rest of you can just figure it out' - we never would have gotten the spark that set off the PC revolution.

I understand the anonymity of the internet isn't exactly kind, but if every person ran off at the sight of someone's jackass opinion, there would only be one person left on the internet. And that would be whoever logged on last! Those rushing you, or anyone else, most likely have their own problems they're ignoring. Be it to make their own games run faster, use emulators, or to pirate games; what I've learned is that all it does it make you feel empty worrying about hoarding a library of games to play instead of doing something much more productive with their life. So don't worry about them and keep up the good work, and hopefully others will follow your lead and release their information to help others in the future.
^THIS!
Thank you :)

We're all in the same boat and we all want to free our Wiis :D

Keep it up, Hykem.

ant888

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, nothing has changed and he said 7 days ago "Next week or so", but I'm fine if it's not this week I'm just quoting what he said
When did he even say this? I did not hear this at ALL. Like Brawl345 said, people NEED to get the facts right, don't spread false rumors, AND please don't obsess over this. It's not the end of the world if he doesn't release it yet.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

OpenSource

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahaha!
Oh wait! That's my life!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, that's not just a shot at pirates, because I've been there and done that before. But anyone in general who desires to obtain an entire library of games. Instead of valuing each individual game and experience, when you have this entire library of junk to play, a lot of people just end up devaluing ALL of them to just get through them.

It's a constant complaint I see with Steam library and backlogs, which I've done before. A couple of months following Slickdeals, Cheapassgamer, or Humble Bundle - you could literally for the a cost of a single new console release have enough games to last you a long, long time. I couldn't imagine just sitting there with access to play any Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo game ever in history sitting on the shelve or saved to a hard drive. People would *think*, "well that's awesome every game in history for free", but what would you actually DO with all that? Sit in front of a screen for the next 60+ years trying to get through them all? Rush through them or use cheats and easy mode just to get through them?

That's why it never appealed to me. It just feels like an cheap, empty experience. Add to the fact that many times, either subconsciously or through the way the game is played, I don't feel like I'm playing the *real*, authentic, version. It feels more like owning a knockoff Rolex instead of the real experience, especially if you're resorting to using hacked control schemes. Playing Super Mario Bros 3 with a 360 controller just feels wrong and is a hollow experience with me.

I know many try to get on a moral or ethical high horse about this stuff, but everyone can do what they wish with their life. I just find the time spent chasing more games and more hoarding makes me feel like trash and feels pretty damn empty because it takes the value out of it all.

TheNerdWIzard

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've got good news and bad news.
The bad news is that I'm going to postpone the release again. I said this week would be a more realistic release date, but I never confirmed it would happen then. Still, it's not a huge delay and it's definitely not to wait for a new firmware update.
Like I stated before, I have the entire month of January free just to work on this and the exploit will be released and maintained before February (yes, I'm sure of that).
Now the good news, which should explain the additional delay. I need some time to pursue something I found in the MCP module. If I'm correct about this, we should be able to get a boot-time exploit. The reason for that is that the MCP module is responsible for launching "master" titles (like the PPC kernel, for example) and I found a bug that, if it turns out to be exploitable, should allow to hijack execution while MCP is still preparing to launch stuff. This means, early IOSU access and a direct boot into an exploitable environment. Not to mention that MCP is the IOSU user module with most privileges (next to BSP that is) and having access to it alone is more than enough to own the IOSU kernel at any given time.
I believe it's important to look into this because if it works, no one will have to worry about possibly bricking consoles by installing custom titles (homebrew channel, for example) and then attempting to launch them before triggering the exploit again after a fresh boot.

With that said, if this turns out to be nothing, I'll release the exploit right away.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/page-704#post-5893883

davetheshrew

Trophies
XP
Country
Just curious what your background in coding is? I'm going for my second degree (this time in IT Networking, already have my A+), .

Curious, but in the Uk degree modules are scored on points, not a+ etc, thats high school stuff, in the UK, does the usa base everything on alphabet grading?

Lawliet80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, that's not just a shot at pirates, because I've been there and done that before. But anyone in general who desires to obtain an entire library of games. Instead of valuing each individual game and experience, when you have this entire library of junk to play, a lot of people just end up devaluing ALL of them to just get through them.

It's a constant complaint I see with Steam library and backlogs, which I've done before. A couple of months following Slickdeals, Cheapassgamer, or Humble Bundle - you could literally for the a cost of a single new console release have enough games to last you a long, long time. I couldn't imagine just sitting there with access to play any Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo game ever in history sitting on the shelve or saved to a hard drive. People would *think*, "well that's awesome every game in history for free", but what would you actually DO with all that? Sit in front of a screen for the next 60+ years trying to get through them all? Rush through them or use cheats and easy mode just to get through them?

That's why it never appealed to me. It just feels like an cheap, empty experience. Add to the fact that many times, either subconsciously or through the way the game is played, I don't feel like I'm playing the *real*, authentic, version. It feels more like owning a knockoff Rolex instead of the real experience, especially if you're resorting to using hacked control schemes. Playing Super Mario Bros 3 with a 360 controller just feels wrong and is a hollow experience with me.

I know many try to get on a moral or ethical high horse about this stuff, but everyone can do what they wish with their life. I just find the time spent chasing more games and more hoarding makes me feel like trash and feels pretty damn empty because it takes the value out of it all.

Well, i am now very reluctant when choosing my games. I only play the games i am sure to finish. I have spent my childhood with both purchased/cracked games, now my time is very limited.
If the wii u is cracked, i will try the games i would have not purchased, not finish them, just try (mario maker, xenoblade, mario party,...).

Last edited by Lawliet80,

davetheshrew

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, i am now very reluctant when choosing my games. I only play the games i am sure to finish. I have spent my childhood with both purchased/cracked games, now my time is very limited.
If the wii u is cracked, i will try the games i would have not purchased, not finish them, just try (mario maker, xenoblade, mario party,...).
Really you should buy the games, youtube gives a great look at games to 'demo'. Not saying Ive never ever pirated, I have for sure, but with age, Ive adapted.

OpenSource

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curious, but in the Uk degree modules are scored on points, not a+ etc, thats high school stuff, in the UK, does the usa base everything on alphabet grading?

Typically course grades are based on letter or pass/fail. Your grade point average is based on a number though, 4.0 being highest. The A+ I'm referring to though is the CompTIA A+ Certification, it's not a grade, it's the name of the Certification.

https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a

Really you should buy the games, youtube gives a great look at games to 'demo'. Not saying Ive never ever pirated, I have for sure, but with age, Ive adapted.

Same here, after I've played enough games in my life, I feel like I know what I'm getting with about every type of game I play. People can do what they want in my opinion, but I feel like gaming's gotten to the point where nothing is new anymore. There's no Super Mario 64's out there to shock me anymore, much less any graphics or gameplay that impresses me. I know what I'm getting in each franchise, I know what I like, and can visualize how the game is going to be. There are resources like Twitch.tv and Youtube as well to see how things play out. Some games are so much going through the motions, its more entertaining to see someone else play them than do so myself honestly.

EstPC13

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Ffs, he said next week on 23rd December. He said he will postpone again on 29th December, and he will release exploit BEFORE FEBRUARY. Read please, don't repeat incorrect information over and over.
Here is the post from 29th:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/page-704#post-5893883
Wow, I checked and I have to apologize, should have read the date, I forgot about the 29th.

My bad, Brawl345 and ant888
Will look more closely next time

I apologize to everyone I misinformed, not gonna happen again^_^:cry:

Typically course grades are based on letter or pass/fail. Your grade point average is based on a number though, 4.0 being highest. The A+ I'm referring to though is the CompTIA A+ Certification, it's not a grade, it's the name of the Certification.

https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/a

Same here, after I've played enough games in my life, I feel like I know what I'm getting with about every type of game I play. People can do what they want in my opinion, but I feel like gaming's gotten to the point where nothing is new anymore. There's no Super Mario 64's out there to shock me anymore, much less any graphics or gameplay that impresses me. I know what I'm getting in each franchise, I know what I like, and can visualize how the game is going to be. There are resources like Twitch.tv and Youtube as well to see how things play out. Some games are so much going through the motions, its more entertaining to see someone else play them than do so myself honestly.

I share your opinion but google "Jimmy Kimmel Gamers" if u wanna be mad

Last edited by EstPC13,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof