Hacking Wii Mode Keys!!! Thanks crediar.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The System Menu won't work because it is encrypted, the IOS won't in sneek because there is a New WLAN Module in iOS that doesnt Support the Old Wii One.
Thanks for that. :)

I guess only the SM DOL itself is encrypted (and that we don't know how to decrypt it)? I can unpack everything else in the wad with normal results.

I've been wanting to run the SM so I could answer a few questions I (and a few others elsewhere) have had: things like what happens when a game/channel tries to open the non-existent "Wii Settings", SM behavior with SYSCONF missing, behavior of WC24 channels etc.

officialjunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently some wii u's had to update to 2.0.0 to get into vwii mode? Mine is still on 1.0.2U, but I can in fact play ssbb. Would it be helpful to have a vwii NAND dump from before th launch update?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good to know...

How does the vWii's shop channel work though? It must install stuff somehow...
Shop Channel isn't installing IOS or System Menu, which are the two things crediar said will give an error -1017. Presumably vIOS are still capable of installing other content, such as channels. (Which is encouraging in terms of HBC I guess).

angelXwind

-angelXwind sinks back into her hiding hole-
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
angelxwind.net
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing around with the NAND dump.
The vWii's system menu "v513" crashes on both SNEEK and Dolphin. Apparently, it's encrypted. Installing a regular SystemMenu v513 over it makes it work.
"Wii U Menu" will reboot the Wii.
The vWii's Mii Channel functions perfectly.
The vWii's Wii Shop Channel functions perfectly.
The vWii's Wii System Transfer sends you to a download page on the Shop Channel. The channel it downloads will not function, spitting out an error message.
All vWii IOSes will not function on a regular Wii (but do in Dolphin) for some reason. Please do not attempt installing any.
IOS512 and IOS513 are mysteries.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing around with the NAND dump.
The vWii's system menu "v513" crashes on both SNEEK and Dolphin. Apparently, it's encrypted.
That's what crediar says as well. I wonder if anyone's managed to decrypt it yet...

"Wii U Menu" will reboot the Wii.
The vWii's Mii Channel functions perfectly.
Same results as me :) The manual channel works fine as well.

The vWii's Wii Shop Channel functions perfectly.
Good to hear. I had trouble running it at first, kept saying it cannot be used...turns out I needed to install and accept the EULA...

The vWii's Wii System Transfer sends you to a download page on the Shop Channel. The channel it downloads will not function, spitting out an error message.
"This software is incompatible with this console". :angry:

All vWii IOSes will not function on a regular Wii (but do in Dolphin) for some reason. Please do not attempt installing any.
IOS512 and IOS513 are mysteries.
Does Dolphin emulate the wii's ARM processor? I don't think it does, and if not, Dolphin isn't even loading them. It just wants to see they're there.

As for IOS512/513, those have a lot of us stumped at the moment. :(

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick Comment about keys. Couldn't we just do what we did with the 360 to grab keys. I mean there are programs out there that will read the bits being transferred over serial ports. With that being said couldn't I used the same technique in order to grab my consoles unique key? I know it would void warranty and stuff. But I've made my own wiikey mod chip from scratch from parts at radio shack and injected the updates manually to the chip. I Would assume there to be a grab and injection point somewhere on the motherboard of the wii u and using the same concept. i should, in theory, be able to copy the unique console key. I might buy a wii u basic console and begin my circuit bending quest. With that being said Ill post my findings.

Reactions: Ghork

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it were really that easy, odds are someone would be researching it already (and maybe someone is, I'm not a hardware expert).

If N's other recent consoles are an indication though, it won't be nearly that simple. Look at the 3DS...still unhacked.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Quick Comment about keys. Couldn't we just do what we did with the 360 to grab keys. I mean there are programs out there that will read the bits being transferred over serial ports. With that being said couldn't I used the same technique in order to grab my consoles unique key? I know it would void warranty and stuff. But I've made my own wiikey mod chip from scratch from parts at radio shack and injected the updates manually to the chip. I Would assume there to be a grab and injection point somewhere on the motherboard of the wii u and using the same concept. i should, in theory, be able to copy the unique console key. I might buy a wii u basic console and begin my circuit bending quest. With that being said Ill post my findings.
The drive key on the 360 can be gotten because the 360 itself has to verify that it's the correct key, so there has to be a way to do that, but the Wii keys are only used internally by the system software and so it's highly unlikely there's an external means of getting them. It would be pointless for Nintendo to add something like that that will never be used by anyone except hackers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think