Hacking Wii Mod

Toastbrot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i'm on systemmenu 4.2 now. when i install systemmenu 4.3 with wiimod, will all my ©ios stay untouched or do i have to reflash them afterwards?

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toastbrot said:
i'm on systemmenu 4.2 now. when i install systemmenu 4.3 with wiimod, will all my ©ios stay untouched or do i have to reflash them afterwards?
If you install a new system menu via Wad, then that is all it does. If you install a new system menu from the SM Menu(on the main menu) then it will check if you have the correct IOS required for that System menu. So when installing 4.3 it will check if you have IOS 80 and if not it will warn you and try to have you install the correct IOS first. It does NOT install all the IOSs that came with the system menu update, if you want to update the other IOSs that were updated but aren't "needed" by the system menu then you can go to the IOS menu and click Update(that option will not change the System menu).

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
@jskyboo, FYI ,the latest v2.6 has solved the region change problem (error -1017)
of my old Wii (with BootMii/Boot2).

Thanks !!

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I gave your update a run, I like it.
ABHPROT appears to be working from the HBC without networking, at least for me ATM. Nice.
CBOOT2 is working well for me, in fact it is working better than any other app. It appears that wii mod is applying the ABHPROT patches when loaded via cboot2 to the ios36-v16, allowing me install an ios of a lower version number without first deleting the higher version ios. Nice
I like that you removed the option of system menu install from ARC, but only the individual settings are available. ARC mod6 has default values for USA, Euro, JAP, KOR. The defaults are nice because you can change all values in one click without knowing what they should be for such region. Also wii mods ARC fails to properly detect the region when my version patched system menu is installed, it gives region mismatch error regardless, this is not an issue with ARC mod6 and I don't think it was the last time I tested wii mod.
Auto ios load at startup is nice an working, but it would be nice if wii mod reloaded such set ios once it was installed. However, this is not an issue since ABHPROT appears to work for me from HBC without network, and all needed patches are applied when loading via cboot2. So there is no real point in pursuing it if those to methods are reliable. The only reason I would like to auto load an ios, say 236 when the app loads or the ios is installed is because I am reluctant to make changes to the system menu and system ios while running ABHPROT, I don't trust it. Also I downgrade all wiis to a version patched sm 4.1 running on ios60-v6174 (patched to v54321), I have a fear that on day a wii may be made that does not function on ios60-v6174, similar to the downgrade issue to 3.2 running ios30-v1040. To prevent this issue I first install ios60-v6174 into ios slot 236, then MMM autoloads ios236 to test the functionality of ios60-v6174 on the wii. If the ios60 was no functional I would think the app would crash and end the mod process preventing a brick from the downgrade. So the autoload at startup and install is nice. Just use ABHPROT/CBOOT2 to install the patched ios, that autoload the patched ios and finish the job.
All in all, nice work. I will have to play with this app some more when I find time. I must say, the wiimote is just a little to sensitive, causing me to skip past my target on screen if I am not careful.

On a second note, I also tested bannerbomb. It does not reload ios when loading the app, but does not make ABHPROT available or make the app think it is.

OK, did some more testing and wii mod crashed once or twice while loading from HBC with ABHPROT, but I think this is because I loaded very quickly. Waiting say 30 seconds after HBC loads and I get no issue, can install wads, delete ios, downgrade ios, etc. Once thing I noticed, when I load from HBC without network with ABHPROT, I can not uninstall wads, I get ret 1017. I am able to delete the ios from the ios manager, but get the ret 1017 with ABHPROT. I have not tested with network enabled, so I don't know if that is a factor ATM. When loading with CBOOT2 I do not have that issue, I can install/uninstall wads, downgrade ios via wad install, delete ios/ install ios with the ios manager.

Albatroz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have network enabled and I didnt get any error with WiiMod using AHBPROT in my Real Nand. All worked great since at fast loading from hbc. I can install/uninstall Wads, use ATD function and no errors.

@mauifrog,, I rly dont understand why u wanna downgrade to 4.1 once Wii is using 4.2 or 4.3. They all same once hacked. So, I dont see any reason to take risk from downgrading. Its just my opnion.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mauifrog thanks for giving it a try and the notes. You've given me some ideas for the next release but I have a some questions.
mauifrog said:
ABHPROT appears to work for me from HBC without networkIt does? It should have asked you what IOS you wanted to reload to avoid the no net crash. It would seem you have bypassed that, which begs the question are you sure you don't have network or are you sure it was working?
mauifrog said:
downgrade issue to 3.2 running ios30-v1040What do you know about this issue? Do any of the other IOSs have problems with newer Wiis? I've read a little about this but never many details.
QUOTE(mauifrog @ May 18 2011, 01:16 AM)
On a second note, I also tested bannerbomb. It does not reload ios when loading the app, but does not make ABHPROT available or make the app think it is.
So how did you have the sd set up?

@Albatroz Don't think of it as a downgrade at least for 4.2 or 4.3 since feature-wise they are the same as 4.1 its closer to just installing the same system menu over again, but if I read that correctly the version has been changed so that if N releases a new system menu in the future their updater won't install a new system menu over it.

Albatroz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this @jskyboo but I have some considerations:

1. SSBB and other exploits are working until now;
2. Once everyone can read the posts here,,, so this isnt private news;
3. Nothing was improved to prevent hacking.

I think i dont need to say anything more
wink.gif

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do not have any network connections setup on the wii. When I load wiimod, it loads the the patches and says they work, the wii mod loads with ABHPROT enabled. However this does not always work, I have had a couple dsi exceptions at load, it has hung at patching, it has hung while viewing ios info, it has given the ret 1017 when uninstalling wads, and it has loaded fine and worked. Could just be my wii, only thing wierd about my wii is I recently bricked it with dop-ios mod 11.4. So perhaps a fresh nand and some more testing will clean up my issues.

Many newer wii's AKA lu64+ can not function with most 3.2 ios, not all newer wiis, some work. Specifically ios30-v1040, ios35-v1040, and ios36-v1042 have caused issue on newer wiis when the ios is downgraded. IOS30-v1040 is the system ios for 3.2, if the wii will not function with ios30-v1040 and the wii is downgraded to 3.2 running this ios, the wii will brick. Ios35 was used for many channels, newer wiis that downgrade to ios35-v1040 would get black screens when loading HBC, forwards, not an issue now as most use ios58. IOS36 was used to load most apps from HBC/preloader/priiloader, newer wii's that downgrade to ios36-v1042 would get a black screen when loading the app, not a real issue now since ios58 is mostly used. Another issue with downgraded ios30-36 on a newer wii is it will cause the hackmii installers to hang, the installer will try to load these older ios30 -36 and crash the installer. Any wii can safely downgrade to SM 1.0+, so long as the system ios is functional. Patching ios60-v6174 into ios slot 9, 11, 20, 30 will support sm 1.0-3.3 on all current wii models. This is why I test ios60-v6174 functionality on a wii before proceeding with the mod, if a wii is ever made that does not function on the 4.1 ios the install would crash preventing the downgrade brick. But I doubt there will ever be a new wii hardware with this issue, but who knows.

For testing bannerbomb the sd card was setup just like cboot2, all \app\wiimod file @ sd:\

@Albatroz
I always downgrade to 4.1 and suggest that others do the same. 4.1 loads BB1, BB2, and region free disc from RM. There is no benefit to 4.2/4.3. When the downgrade is done properly the risk is no higher than installing a modmii theme or priiloader, actually the downgrade has a much better track record than priiloader install so would go as far as saying it is safer, but not much. Also the 4.1 I use is version patched, so Nintendo will never update it regardless of priiloader hacks. Some apps, like the hooks in neogamma will reload the system menu and bypass the priiloader hacks, giving unwanted update prompts. With a version patched system menu, if you update (which I don't suggest), you only loss cios249 to the stub, nothing else is lost. To each his own, do as you like.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mauifrog said:
I do not have any network connections setup on the wii. When I load wiimod, it loads the the patches and says they work, the wii mod loads with ABHPROT enabled. However this does not always work, I have had a couple dsi exceptions at load, it has hung at patching, it has hung while viewing ios info, it has given the ret 1017 when uninstalling wads, and it has loaded fine and worked. Could just be my wii, only thing wierd about my wii is I recently bricked it with dop-ios mod 11.4. So perhaps a fresh nand and some more testing will clean up my issues.

Many newer wii's AKA lu64+ can not function with most 3.2 ios, not all newer wiis, some work. Specifically ios30-v1040, ios35-v1040, and ios36-v1042 have caused issue on newer wiis when the ios is downgraded. IOS30-v1040 is the system ios for 3.2, if the wii will not function with ios30-v1040 and the wii is downgraded to 3.2 running this ios, the wii will brick. Ios35 was used for many channels, newer wiis that downgrade to ios35-v1040 would get black screens when loading HBC, forwards, not an issue now as most use ios58. IOS36 was used to load most apps from HBC/preloader/priiloader, newer wii's that downgrade to ios36-v1042 would get a black screen when loading the app, not a real issue now since ios58 is mostly used. Another issue with downgraded ios30-36 on a newer wii is it will cause the hackmii installers to hang, the installer will try to load these older ios30 -36 and crash the installer. Any wii can safely downgrade to SM 1.0+, so long as the system ios is functional. Patching ios60-v6174 into ios slot 9, 11, 20, 30 will support sm 1.0-3.3 on all current wii models. This is why I test ios60-v6174 functionality on a wii before proceeding with the mod, if a wii is ever made that does not function on the 4.1 ios the install would crash preventing the downgrade brick. But I doubt there will ever be a new wii hardware with this issue, but who knows.
Hmm well I'm not sure how you are not getting caught by the workaround but if you really are loading with AHBPROT and no net I would think the no net crash would happen, just a matter of when.

So is it IOSs 30-36 or all IOSs

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about the other ios, but probably all ios under 36 except ios15 and ios16. Perhaps other older ios work also, but I don't know. I don't have one of these wiis to test on, so just a guess.

CaptainJackHarkn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems Mauifrog does not reply on WiiHacks but only on GBA Temp mwa-haha.

Great thread. I read all 12 pages. Mauifrog, my friend - your guide is amazing but is god awful when it comes to explaining your reasoning to newbies who are interested, then again you have stated it is not meant
to educate but more of a simple guide on how to hack and quickly.

Reading everything here, it makes sense... 1OS236.wad, the IOS60 version check, for the downgrade...kudos...but yes...as for the topic:

AHBPROT is interesting, revolutionary, amazing. What I do..ummm what's the word
unsure.gif

Ah
nayps3.gif
got it. What I do believeeeeeee AHBPROT is capable of is that direct access....IOS236 is amazing, not requiring IOS 15 downgrades to traditional DOP-IOS/Trucha Bug Restorer ...but like everyone has said: lack of knowledge to AHBPROT is typical. It took me forever to actually FIND information on it...and then TeamTwizzers wrote their thing, and it made SOME sense. As for AHBPROT - and the reason I dislike it is simple: it's confusing. It may show as active, when it might not be active, and no matter how you create an amazing program (such is WiiMod - which I believe is the successor to Multi Mod Manager) it does everything imagineable that I thought nothing could replace MMM..until I found WiiMod trying to google "AHBPROT" and u all discuss this AHB stuff...

As for System Menu WADs - do these install all the IOS updates? or are they SOLELY for system version and 1 IOS?

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CaptainJackHarkness said:
It seems Mauifrog does not reply on WiiHacks but only on GBA Temp mwa-haha.

Great thread. I read all 12 pages. Mauifrog, my friend - your guide is amazing but is god awful when it comes to explaining your reasoning to newbies who are interested, then again you have stated it is not meant
to educate but more of a simple guide on how to hack and quickly.

Reading everything here, it makes sense... 1OS236.wad, the IOS60 version check, for the downgrade...kudos...but yes...as for the topic:

AHBPROT is interesting, revolutionary, amazing. What I do..ummm what's the word
unsure.gif

Ah
nayps3.gif
got it. What I do believeeeeeee AHBPROT is capable of is that direct access....IOS236 is amazing, not requiring IOS 15 downgrades to traditional DOP-IOS/Trucha Bug Restorer ...but like everyone has said: lack of knowledge to AHBPROT is typical. It took me forever to actually FIND information on it...and then TeamTwizzers wrote their thing, and it made SOME sense. As for AHBPROT - and the reason I dislike it is simple: it's confusing. It may show as active, when it might not be active, and no matter how you create an amazing program (such is WiiMod - which I believe is the successor to Multi Mod Manager) it does everything imagineable that I thought nothing could replace MMM..until I found WiiMod trying to google "AHBPROT" and u all discuss this AHB stuff...

As for System Menu WADs - do these install all the IOS updates? or are they SOLELY for system version and 1 IOS?

System menu wads ONLY update the system menu. They install ANY ios's and don't install the required ios for their specific system menu version. So make sure you have the correct ios installed.

-Erik

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen up because I have some exciting news! So first up I thought a lot about mauifrog's ideas and so I changed how the system menu region is detected so that should improve accuracy with system menus that have a changed version. I really liked the idea of presets for any region changer so I added it so if you mess up your settings and don't know what they should be you can load the preset for your region. I also liked the idea of reloading the AutoloadIOS when it is installed so I added a setting, AutoLoadOnInstall, that if set to 1 it will reload the AutoloadIOS whenever it is installed and it wasn't installed before. I moved around the IOS menu a bit to make it a little easier to pick the options for an IOS. Added a new feature that allows you to copy an IOS to a different spot, and or change and IOS's version, and or patch an already installed IOS. So if you already have an IOS you like and just want to change the version of it so that it can't be replaced by an official update, this will allow you to easily change it. Or if you want to copy it to another spot you can do that quickly. Changed any title manager so it now dumps mios, bc and IOSs with the same names as NUSD so they are more recognizable than just their title id. Now on the channel menu it displays the version you currently have installed so you can at a glance see if you could update a channel. Also lots of code clean up and general bug fixes as well so here is Wii Mod v2.7

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/?wa37r71t1wx83m5

Changelog since 2.6 :
Code:
Changed how system menu region is detected
Added Region presets to any region changer
Fixed Channels and System menu install issue with receiving http 1.0 replies
Moved AHBPROT no net code, should catch in more cases
if AutoloadIOS is installed and it wasnt before, reload it if AutoLoadOnInstall is on
Changed the IOS menu around
Added new feature copy ios to another location and or change version and or patch perms
BC now dumps to RVL-bc-v[x].wad on any title manager
MIOS now dumps to RVL-mios-v[x].wad on any title manager
IOSs now dumps to IOS16-64-v[x].wad on any title manager
Channel Menu now display currently installed version.
Lots of code cleanup and bug fixes

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
@jskyboo, I got the "Identifying as SU...Error! ES_Identify (ret=-1017)"
again (same error as I used v2.4 or v2.5) when I tried to use v2.7
to test "Region Changer" under AHBPROT mode.

Everything is OK when I change back to v2.6.

Any idea ?

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
airline38 said:
@jskyboo, I got the "Identifying as SU...Error! ES_Identify (ret=-1017)"
again (same error as I used v2.4 or v2.5) when I tried to use v2.7
to test "Region Changer" under AHBPROT mode.

Everything is OK when I change back to v2.6.

Any idea ?
Hmm... AHBPROT patches are a sensitive thing. Im really not sure as to why. After adding some of the features for 2.7, that in no way were related to the AHBPROT code, it started giving me that error as well and after some further changes mostly not related to it, it started working again. I guess not for all Wiis. I could add some debug to a test release if you'd like but it may not come up with anything. Im not really sure why unrelated code seems to affect those patches.

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Have tested v2.7 Region Changer on my another Wii and it worked.
(no problem to use v2.4 or 2.5 or 2.6 .... on this Wii)

The major difference between my two Wii is the BootMii/Boot2 and BootMii/IOS.

The one with BootMii/IOS is always no problem to use "Region Changer" but
the other one with BootMii/Boot2 can't work with v2.4 or 2.5 or 2.7 (v2.6 is ok).

Is it something to do with this (BootMii/Boot2 or IOS) ? I am not sure ....

@jskyboo, if you have any 'debug' version , I am willing to test.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hosigumayuugi said:
I can't use AHBPROT mode if I don't set Internet setting in Wii Config.
WiiMod says "Failed to get titles." and didn't work well.
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2918/failedi.jpg
This screen shot is from my Japanese mod(sorry),
but I can't use AHBPROT mode with original v2.7, too.
Unfortunately there still is no way around the AHBPROT no net bug, or at least to my knowledge no one has found a fix. If you look at the messages being printed there you will see it failed to apply the patches for AHBPROT that's because it no longer is in that mode. I believe that first part of the first line was it checking for net, when that failed it immediately switched IOS to avoid the no net crash. So at that point you don't have AHBPROT anymore and you can't get it back, however if you reload an IOS with nand patches you should be able to still use the rest of the app. But no you can't use AHBPROT, there is nothing inherently wrong with no net AHBPROT except for that bug that affects all apps that support AHBPROT, if a true fix for that bug is found then AHBPROT could work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7