How to cleanup channels safely

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received this Wii console recently. It had some channels installed that I don't think I will use. Some of these seems to be full channels (which can launch even if I disconnect SD/USB), while the others should be forwarder channels.

I read from tutorial that system menu's data management won't delete title & ticket. However, it seems WAD manager (YAWM ModMii Edition) requires the original WAD file for uninstallation, which apparently I don't have. So, I use Yet Another BlueDump MOD, which successfully dumps the WAD file. For testing purpose, I install a test forwarder channel, and compare the one dumped by Yet Another BlueDump MOD. The file sizes are different.

So my question is, is it safe to use the WAD files I dump to uninstall the channel? Any better approach?

Also, some system channels seem to duplicate (e.g. multiple Weather icons). As they are system channels, is there any easy & safe cleanup method?

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Have a look at (read & learn) "AnyTitleDeleter".
It can do the job, but do be careful not to remove the important stuff.
The great thing about the latest version/s - It states what you're about to remove.
Just read on what you're about to do. For sanity's sake.
If you're not sure .... Just ask here on GBA before the crap hits the fan.

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I think I'd better not use AnyTitleDeleter unless abosultely necessary. I will move those duplicate icons to the last page and forget them.

Edit: In Priiloader, I can see those duplicate titles. For example:

- News Channel (HAGJ)
- News Channel (HAGE)
- News Channel (HAGP)
- News Channel (HAGA)
But there are only 3 icons visible in System Menu. From the name, it seems to be titles for different regions.

Forecast Channel are duplicated as well. Its icon is in Japanese and previously I didn't know what it is.

Just curious, what cause this issue?

Last edited by sockscap,

CheeseBurgerwithLove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always used Any Title Manager and never had problems with it, so you can use it as long as you does not enter the IOS section of the system. The Wii system is a drawer of tickets the more you use it.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read from tutorial that AnyTitleDeleter uses title ids only, so it's a little complicated. More importantly, even if I manage to identify those ids, in the above example of the duplicate news channels, how should I know which three should I delete?

K0rbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I think I'd better not use AnyTitleDeleter unless abosultely necessary. I will move those duplicate icons to the last page and forget them.

Edit: In Priiloader, I can see those duplicate titles. For example:

- News Channel (HAGJ)
- News Channel (HAGE)
- News Channel (HAGP)
- News Channel (HAGA)
But there are only 3 icons visible in System Menu. From the name, it seems to be titles for different regions.

Forecast Channel are duplicated as well. Its icon is in Japanese and previously I didn't know what it is.

Just curious, what cause this issue?
It seems for whatever reason, someone downloaded every regional version of news channel and forecast channel.

CheeseBurgerwithLove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read from tutorial that AnyTitleDeleter uses title ids only, so it's a little complicated. More importantly, even if I manage to identify those ids, in the above example of the duplicate news channels, how should I know which three should I delete?
You can eliminate all 3 perfectly, that will not cause a brick. Then you use a WAD from your region to install it and that's it.

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does System Menu require these system channels to function properly? Otherwise I don't think I will use them.

What I mean to say is, will it break anything if I remove all these system channels?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Never do anything on your console without a full nand backup and bootmii installed. You can use them to get back to a know state of any fishy happens. More if you don't know what are you doing.

Read the guides and try to understand what is happening in each step your take.

https://wii.hacks.guide/wiigsc

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I already have NAND backup (bootmii as boot2) and Priiloader, but still, I'd prefer to avoid troubles. That's why I'm asking in the forum.

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have deleted those channels on like four different wiis its perfectly safe but use any title deleter mod this one https://oscwii.org/library/app/AnyTitleDeleterMOD
Cool. This one shows the real name. :)

So back to my previous question:
1. Does System Menu require these system channels to function properly? Will it break anything if I remove all these system channels? I don't use them.
2. #8 says "Then you use a WAD from your region to install it". If these system channels must exist, how can I find the proper WAD I should use. It's 4.3J.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.3J is for japan region 4.3U is usa 4.3E is european region and no the system menu does not need these channels to function properly its perfectly safe. You can use ModMii to get the wads you want.

sockscap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried ModMii yesterday. It's really cool but I don't see how to get the wads for system channels. If I'm going to delete these system channels, I'd prefer I download their WAD files first, so that I can restore later just in case.

For example, if I want to download the WAD for News Channel. Is it a IOS or something else? One ISO for one system channel? How can I find this info? I'm fine to download either with ModMii or NUS Downloader.

Edit: I double check NUS Downloader. Yes, I see them under Database -> Systems. Should I choose the latest version? For example, News Channel has v3, v6 & v7.

Last edited by sockscap,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I tried ModMii yesterday. It's really cool but I don't see how to get the wads for system channels. If I'm going to delete these system channels, I'd prefer I download their WAD files first, so that I can restore later just in case.

For example, if I want to download the WAD for News Channel. Is it a IOS or something else? One ISO for one system channel? How can I find this info? I'm fine to download either with ModMii or NUS Downloader.
Nus downloader

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
News channels, and pretty much any channel for that matter, is not crucial to the wii's operation. In fact without rc24 these kinds of channels are pretty pointless.

The wads for these channels can be found on modmii's download page 1, or retrieved via the main Modmii Wizard (in addition to nus downloader). But without rc24 I'm not sure why you'd want to reinstall the stock channels anyway.

• Love

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've successfully deleted all system channels. Maybe because the console is in Japan region, AnyTitle Deleter MOD cannot show real name, so I double check the title ids with http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Title_database#00010002:_System_channels.
Glad to hear you managed to accomplish your goal.

I don't think the problem displaying the title of apps have to do with the region of the console if you use anyTitle Deleter Mod from red squirrel:

https://redsquirrel87.altervista.org/doku.php/anytitle-deleter-mod
Screenshot_2024-01-07-12-05-57-734_org.mozilla.firefox-edit.jpg

You will note that homebrew can read names directly from the app, or also can read the file DATABASE.TXT at the root of the SD Card.

The latest file DATABASE.TXT can be downloaded from https://www.gametdb.com/Wii/Downloads

Last edited by impeeza,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto