Gaming ****Wii Firmware 3.0U****

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
God, how I wish I could clean up this thread. It took forever to get this far.

Anyhow, a few questions:

Has anyone tried earlier versions of WiiKey setup disks?

And has anyone been successful in playing games from another region that previously needed region-free set to ON? IE, can anyone with an NTSC-U console play NTSC-J games like Bleach, for instance?

And I only saw one person that was able to confirm that they were able to play online. Who else can confirm that they are able to play online with Mario Strikers, for instance?

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
God, how I wish I could clean up this thread. It took forever to get this far.

Anyhow, a few questions:

Has anyone tried earlier versions of WiiKey setup disks?

And has anyone been successful in playing games from another region that previously needed region-free set to ON? IE, can anyone with an NTSC-U console play NTSC-J games like Bleach, for instance?

And I only saw one person that was able to confirm that they were able to play online. Who else can confirm that they are able to play online with Mario Strikers, for instance?

Thats why I opened a new thread only with confirmed stuff sofar!

Upas

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just woke up... and I think I'm gonna update right now.

No modchip to worry about for me, so sorry, I can't help on that front
frown.gif

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with shelleeson,
Nintendo is NOT saying we will purposely destroy your wii if there is a modchip...what they are saying is "Hey we don't test our updates to make sure they are compatible with YOUR mods. We are not going to BUY every chip on the market to test compatibility with our updates either so beware...this update may not work with your modded system" But it really doesn't matter, if they want to code their next update so it doesn't work with modchips...well nobody is forcing you to update your system. I just woke up...but the short answer is NO you can not sue Nintendo if you modded your system and an update bricked your wii. Nintendo can not be held responsible in making sure their updates work with every mod chip on the market.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't read all this yet, but it sounds like Nintendo is bluffing and we've got to call them on it. Look at how many people are now freaking out about their modchip, but nothing has apparently happened post-update? Some future things might happen, like bans from something (wifi?) ala the 360 bans recently (new update records bootleg discs or something). But I highly doubt a software update will kill a drive chip.

However, if they begin using a different method of authentication, that would hurt things, but upgradeable chips should be able to beat it -- unless new games come with something software related, which I don't see happening. You can't press 100,000 unique copies.

Edit: And oh yeah, you can't sue Nintendo. Especially if you're in an area where modchips are illegal. The hardware is not authorized by Nintendo, therefore you risk your console using it. Same goes for something as dumb as a 3rd party controller. If it don't work, you can't sue Nintendo.

felix123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
any legal stand point you have against nintendo went out of the window the minute you went against their terms of agreement for cover.

some day i will be in the same boats as you but if i take a £200 system and modify it against the wishes of the manufacturer and do so knowing i now have no rights left and am using software i don't have the legal right to and that nintendo may come along and disable the functions of my machine i'll not come on here moaning about it. i would have rolled the dice and took a chance which you all did.
Once you sold something, you don't have rights over it anymore. The seller can't just go and destroy it if they don't like what the buyer is doing with it.

Duckula

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not going to update until absolutely neccesary. I doubt Nintendo can do much against the drive based chips anyway, this is probably just a scare tactic.

Maybe if their PAL release schedule wasn't so absolutely terrible people wouldn't need a mod chip.

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
any legal stand point you have against nintendo went out of the window the minute you went against their terms of agreement for cover.

some day i will be in the same boats as you but if i take a £200 system and modify it against the wishes of the manufacturer and do so knowing i now have no rights left and am using software i don't have the legal right to and that nintendo may come along and disable the functions of my machine i'll not come on here moaning about it. i would have rolled the dice and took a chance which you all did.

Once you sold something, you don't have rights over it anymore. The seller can't just go and destroy it if they don't like what the buyer is doing with it.

Ok, I think this don't belongs in this thread, but let me assure you, you are wrong. Ok, I just have infos about the German Law, but what you claim is not logical:

Nintendo Sold you something, they garanty you to work in its original form. Now you dont have to update your stuff, even if you have an unmodded Console. BUT if you want new fresh updates, you have to play by their rules! So, If you have an unmodified console: Your all good, even if an update bricks it, you can sue the hell out of them (but they will give you a repaired one instead, everything is fine. BUT if you want to use the update feature, the News and internet and Wiiconnect stuff, they only garanty you that unmodified Consoles work with it. If you modify your stuff or even just opened it, its not garantied to work -> You cant sue nobody -> q e d.

sanchoquo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just downloaded a copy of GCOS its the version made for the wii so I dont know if that makes a difference
but I can successfully boot my Wiikey disc with it.
it seems Nintendo didnt block GCOS, perhaps because its homebrew, and not directly related to the piracy end of things
do you think ninty managed to block openwii because the source was available? perhaps they managed to find a way to detect it through something the source does when it boots.

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could kick all of you in the face talking about "blah blah I'm going to sue nintendo... blah blah blah".

Who gives a damn. You're not going to sue them anyway. If you did, you'd lose, and I'd laugh at you. And there's no point in debating it here. No one is going to win. Everyone has their own opinion, and you will not sway anyone with your "stellar logic".

Anyhow, back on track - Has anyone who has found ALL DISKS to be non-functional removed their modchip and checked to see whether they were able to load any non-burned disks?

Anyone been successful with OpenWii or other homebrew modchips?

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I just updated my PAL DMS Wii with Openwii 2.2b, and now NO discs are working - not even retail ones. The console was previously working fine before the update.

The next test will be to remove the chip, and see if it restores to a standard Wii playing retail games. Mighty interesting if they did something to screw with it, but I would think they would target the more popular chips (Wiikey, Cyclo, etc) rather than one that you're required to build yourself. But then, perhaps the OpenWii folks will have a fix out soon enough too.
QUOTEif you try to update again, there is this message, before it even searches for the update!
So, it sounds like there is no second update being downloaded (3.3 or whatever you folks are speculating), but the main update adds the warning message to the update button. That's a trivial change, and yes, to "protect" them from crybabies in the future. Besides, if you sue Nintendo for bricking your system, you'd be opening yourself up to a raid to find all your stash of downloaded games.
lecture.gif

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

But like what WeaponX was saying, if you look at it from the other perspective, any issue that arises as a result of an update is our problem, not Nintendo's, because they're not the ones that modified our consoles.

If they specifically coded it so it physically bricked the chip, or so it reduced the functionality of the console to a level that's lower than a normal un-modded console, then you might possibly have a leg to stand on. However, if they found a way to disable the playing of backups without physically harming the chip, then there's nothing you can do about it. Remember, all they have to say is that they don't have to make their updates compatible with your chip. Instead it's the other way around - it's up to you to ensure your chip/wii works with their update (and that's disregarding the variable legality between countries).

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This could be the reason the WIIKEY Setup disc doesnt work:

From Kotaku Comments

there are reports that the update "detects" the WiiKey setup disc, and prevents it from running. a modder from Australia has confirmed this on 4 different consoles. everything else works, and even lets you load the WiiKey disc, but it displays an error as soon as you launch it from the menu.

nintendo can't detect hardware that's been added to the wii, so they flagged the setup disc via firmware update. the WiiKey disc name would be the same all over the world.

About the OpenWII brick, are there new infos? I don't think its because of the update, but maybe they found a way that only applies to openwii, but very unlikely!

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So if 'an unauthorised technical modification may brick your system' are Nintendo saying they plan to brick my wii for my innocent LED or internal wavebird mod?
wink.gif

Has anyone from Australia attempted the update and been presented with the warning screen? Does Australia even have it's own firmware revision or does it just come under E/U/J suffix?

*shrugs* I don't get why people are so eager to update to the latest firmware all the time anyways, unless you need it for the shop perhaps. I've not been online with my Wii yet lol! >_>. I'm currently on the firmware that comes with Strikers or Resi 4, whatever is the latest. How do you tell what firmware is on your system anyways?

smile.gif

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hehe, i quoted you from a quote
wink.gif

The idea with the flag comes from someone else, but it seems possible.

But they could not flag backups as they have the same tag as originals (or?)

But maybe they could change the Tags for regions and then block any foreign region tag!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
there are reports that the update "detects" the WiiKey setup disc, and prevents it from running. a modder from Australia has confirmed this on 4 different consoles. everything else works, and even lets you load the WiiKey disc, but it displays an error as soon as you launch it from the menu.

That modder would be me.

I'm not sure about consoles being 'flagged' but if Nintendo can detect and stop a disc from working, i'm sure they would log it down somewhere.

As people might have already said, you can boot the wiikey config from GCOS.
I have a friend that is mucking around with the config disc to see if he can get it to work.

"the iso file that the config1.2 makes has a title of : wiiKey base 1.2 (this is not the disk name, but an embedded tag) and an id code of WKPC"

What an interesting night it has been

Thanks for the info. That's pretty interesting that Nintendo has blocked the config disc but haven't managed to block the modchip. If they can't block the modchips then flagging the update and config discs to stop them working would be pretty logical.

However OpenWii seems to have problems with the new update. I doubt Nintendo would single out that modchip specifically to disable, to me it seems like there is some problem with the OpenWii code that conflicts with the update. Something unintentional.

Here's hoping Nintendo can't detect modchips.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: