Gaming ****Wii Firmware 3.0U****

wprpalmeida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
holy crap, i updated my wii last night and i didn't have any idea this new firmware could be this dangerous. even though i still think nintendo did this to scare us and remember us that we shouldnt even try to play import games with updates from other regions. that's just my 2 cents after all, when i get home, i'm gonna test my D2B USA Wii + yaosm 1.7

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
does anyone here seriously think that if they are using an illegal modchip that they have any right to sue nintendo when and if it bricks your system.
oh LMFAO
QUOTE said:
from the nintendo site
WARRANTY LIMITATIONS

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT: (a) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT AND COPIER DEVICES, ADAPTERS, AND POWER SUPPLIES); (b) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); Â IS MODIFIED OR TAMPERED WITH; (d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; OR (e) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED.
not one of you who bricks your system has a leg to stand on. i think that having a modchip comes under 2 if not 3 parts of your warranties.
you opened it up or paid to have it opened up and you are on your own, you all knew that. nintendo were just going above and beyond the call of duty by informing you that should you upgrade your system it MAY be bricked by doing so. they have the right to protect their software from being copied and used by people using modchips so don't go getting all high and mighty about this. you knew what you were getting into.
wink.gif

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe i could update too. (pal wii with wiinjav1) I hope that they can't kill online playing with this. But if they can... it doesn't really matter, because it sucks anyway.

EDIT: Everything works like before, so Wiinja v1 confirmed working. (suprise suprise..)
I think it's just a warning of what firmware updates could do in the future, because it shows the warning everytime if you search new updates.

did u do both updates, and are at 3.3u?

I'm on 3.0E now. It didn't found newer firmware. (3.3E in this case)

FoxMcClaudI think there is no 3.3u update yet!!!!
Actually I think so too.

ok seems mebe UK have slightly different versions than US. i was under impression there are two updates - see post by HipN on 1st page. once u updated to v3, goto system settings and update again. once more i have not done this, im on v3, but i think 3.3 does exist? prove me wrong.

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

FoxMcClaud said:
I think there is no 3.3u update yet!!!!
Actually I think so too.

[/quote]

ok seems mebe UK have slightly different versions than US. i was under impression there are two updates - see post by HipN on 1st page. once u updated to v3, goto system settings and update again. once more i have not done this, im on v3, but i think 3.3 does exist? prove me wrong.

[/quote]

Hehe prove us wrong! No, but serious, i think there is one update and if you try to update again, there is this message, before it even searches for the update! Just to warn about future updates!
And BTW TaMS proved you wrong already, he tried another update!

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So openwii not working, eh. Sounds like Nintendo's changed the way the Wii reads disks in an attempt to thwart modchips and only partially succeeded. Maybe it has to do with the drive supposedly reading faster after the update. All just speculation, wait for the homebrew chip teams to release their findings.

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country

FoxMcClaud said:
I think there is no 3.3u update yet!!!!
Actually I think so too.

[/quote]

Hehe prove us wrong! No, but serious, i think there is one update and if you try to update again, there is this message, before it even searches for the update! Just to warn about future updates!
And BTW TaMS proved you wrong already, he tried another update!

[/quote]

ok fair enuff. wii is working so il stop there
tongue.gif

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country

sanchoquo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does GCOS run from a disc? or memory card only?
Im updating my wii now, I dont plan to use my wiikey setup disc
anymore anyway, and have no plans to run the wiikey update as I dont play
cube games often enough to worry about the audio fix

whats the possibility that someone leaked the wiikey update to ninty?
perhaps when this wiikey update drops they can find it.

I suggest any users of wiikey wait to see what happens when this update and the wiikey update
combine.

hopefully its just a warning. Ive heard that the chip is unlikely to be detected though as its not on the mainboard
instead just on the drive, so im praying thats the case.

I will post again to tell you how it all pans out for me

Rob

kitehimuro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
Voiding your warranty is one thing. Damaging your property is another. And no, just because I warned you beforehand, that doesn't give me the right to break your window or burn your car. Neither does the warning entitle Nintendo to completely brick your console. Rendering the only chip useless is legally justifiable though. Anyway I'm going to update, since this might be the last "chip-friendly" firmware update still (until someone hacks the firmware and starts producing custom stuff like with PSP and X360), and don't want to be stuck with 2.2E after thier next release might completely render first generation modchips useless.

shery

Trophies
XP
Country
does anyone here seriously think that if they are using an illegal modchip that they have any right to sue nintendo when and if it bricks your system.
oh LMFAO
QUOTE said:
from the nintendo site
WARRANTY LIMITATIONS

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT: (a) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT AND COPIER DEVICES, ADAPTERS, AND POWER SUPPLIES); (b) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); © IS MODIFIED OR TAMPERED WITH; (d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; OR (e) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED.
not one of you who bricks your system has a leg to stand on. i think that having a modchip comes under 2 if not 3 parts of your warranties.
you opened it up or paid to have it opened up and you are on your own, you all knew that. nintendo were just going above and beyond the call of duty by informing you that should you upgrade your system it MAY be bricked by doing so. they have the right to protect their software from being copied and used by people using modchips so don't go getting all high and mighty about this. you knew what you were getting into.
wink.gif

These are two seperate issues. I think it is generally acknowledged that if you modify your Wii, that you are no longer under warranty. I haven't seen anyone dispute that.

The issue of concern is whether it is legal or not for Nintendo to intentionally 'brick' your Wii, i.e. put specific code in the update that targets modified Wii's with the intent to disable the functionality of the modchip, or the Wii itself.

The argument is based on whether or not the owner of the system is actually the consumer, or Nintendo.

It would seem from the message that Nintendo are aiming to introduce updates that will 'brick' the Wii if it has been modified, under the guise of genuine updates, and they hope to have the disclaimer in place to hold off any legal challenges.

Bear in mind however, that it is doubtful there is any qualified legal opinion on the forums, so these are all uneducated observations.

finite

Trophies
XP
Country
So openwii not working, eh. Sounds like Nintendo's changed the way the Wii reads disks in an attempt to thwart modchips and only partially succeeded. Maybe it has to do with the drive supposedly reading faster after the update. All just speculation, wait for the homebrew chip teams to release their findings.

You could be right there perhaps the warning has been added because the next update is aiming at giving the results like openwii.

kitehimuro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
oh LMFAO
QUOTE said:
from the nintendo site
WARRANTY LIMITATIONS

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT: (a) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT AND COPIER DEVICES, ADAPTERS, AND POWER SUPPLIES); (b) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); © IS MODIFIED OR TAMPERED WITH; (d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; OR (e) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED.
wink.gif

These are two seperate issues. I think it is generally acknowledged that if you modify your Wii, that you are no longer under warranty. I haven't seen anyone dispute that.

The issue of concern is whether it is legal or not for Nintendo to intentionally 'brick' your Wii, i.e. put specific code in the update that targets modified Wii's with the intent to disable the functionality of the modchip, or the Wii itself.

The argument is based on whether or not the owner of the system is actually the consumer, or Nintendo.

It would seem from the message that Nintendo are aiming to introduce updates that will 'brick' the Wii if it has been modified, under the guise of genuine updates, and they hope to have the disclaimer in place to hold off any legal challenges.

Bear in mind however, that it is doubtful there is any qualified legal opinion on the forums, so these are all uneducated observations.

Actually, there is, but I can only share opinions about my own country. And I can tell you here it is illegal to purposedly damage property, it's not any different than the examples i quoted before.
( I am law student with my final exams this year, so I already had those subjects covered )
Also if there isn't some special law entitling Nintendo to "over-ride" local constitutions and damage your property, I suppose the case is the same in other European countries.

sanchoquo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just updated my PAL wii to 3.0E, no further updates were available, but when going to settings -> system update
I recieved the warning message about modchips
I tried a couple of discs too,
Wiikey = not working
ssx blur = working

It seems whatever they have done has stopped update discs from working for the time being
im off to find a copy of gcos

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The ones fighting about the law, get your own thread or STFU!

I just opened a new thread for any confirmed Working updates only!

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
oh LMFAO
QUOTE said:
from the nintendo site
WARRANTY LIMITATIONS

wink.gif

any legal stand point you have against nintendo went out of the window the minute you went against their terms of agreement for cover.
yes i do agree these are two seperate issues but you have to take the first one into consideration and then my point of if you are using illegal software in these modified devices nintendo has the right not to allow you to run them on their machines.
i don't know the rights of every single country on using pirated software but in general it is recognized that if you have not purchased it you have no rights to this software. the sole reason that the majority of people mod their machines in the first place.
you all now know that if you updated your systems that some of you have prior knowledge that you are putting your system in danger.
some day i will be in the same boats as you but if i take a £200 system and modify it against the wishes of the manufacturer and do so knowing i now have no rights left and am using software i don't have the legal right to and that nintendo may come along and disable the functions of my machine i'll not come on here moaning about it. i would have rolled the dice and took a chance which you all did.
most of you listened to the heresay of other people and i have seen it said enough times that nintendo would never be able to stop the functions of the machines but out of greed (or some other reason) you decided to listen to people who have no knowledge of what nintendo were capable of doing. why do you think people like me hold off modding their wii's in the first place?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +1