savegame manager gx not a valid wii application

racinu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my wii’s been having some issues as of late (i’m going to make a post right after this one detailing that mostly out of curiosity) so i decided to just get a new one and transfer all my data from the old one. and my wii’s been modded since 2009 (not by me) and nothing’s been updated since if that’s relevant information.

anyway, at first i tried to do a nand backup so i could transfer that but bootmii kept freezing at the same spot each time i tried
76D6E66D-41D7-4197-9FEA-96B8B34D036D.jpeg
here if anyone cares
so instead i realized it’d probably be better if i just installed savegame manager gx and backed up my data that way but i tried two different versions of it (beta and whatever version is on the open shop channel website for it) (i also deleted the first version i tried before trying a different one) and when i tried opening both from the homebrew channel, i just got a message saying “this is not a valid wii application” any clue why this is happening?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I do vaguely remember problems with that homebrew but not the cause or the solution (you're using a "recent" HBC, right?)

This is the version on my SD, I think it opened at least :)
Failing that, if you already have a CIOS (249), there's always Waninoko's original Savegame Extractor (and Mii equivalent), and/or you may get something out of a file-level nand dumper (FSToolbox being the classic one)...

Attachments

• apps.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 35

ramblecube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How interesting! I have yet to see a Wii NAND dump stop mid-way like that.

You said that your Wii has been modded since 2009; I can think of two likely things:
  • Your SD card might be broken. Broken SD cards often have the appearance of working, but might fail with certain actions (like your NAND dump)
  • Your SD card might not have enough space for the NAND backup- that could be why it's getting most of the way and stopping.
Are you using the same SD card as it had in 2009? Good luck and let me know how it goes.

racinu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How interesting! I have yet to see a Wii NAND dump stop mid-way like that.

You said that your Wii has been modded since 2009; I can think of two likely things:
  • Your SD card might be broken. Broken SD cards often have the appearance of working, but might fail with certain actions (like your NAND dump)
  • Your SD card might not have enough space for the NAND backup- that could be why it's getting most of the way and stopping.
Are you using the same SD card as it had in 2009? Good luck and let me know how it goes.
i recently moved the files from the sd card it was modded with to a 64gb one so i doubt that’s the issue. i’ll probably just try the original savegame manager like the other person suggested once i get the chance to though

ramblecube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i recently moved the files from the sd card it was modded with to a 64gb one so i doubt that’s the issue. i’ll probably just try the original savegame manager like the other person suggested once i get the chance to though

My apologies- I didn't read that your Wii was already having issues. I think I pointed pointed something out that you already knew.

I like the SaveGame Manager GX idea. If that doesn't work for some reason, the Wii's Data Management menu has the capability of moving saves from Wii->SD, where you could recover them from your computer. Although, that's a lot of clicking with the Wii Remote.

I hope you get your saves 🫡

racinu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My apologies- I didn't read that your Wii was already having issues. I think I pointed pointed something out that you already knew.

I like the SaveGame Manager GX idea. If that doesn't work for some reason, the Wii's Data Management menu has the capability of moving saves from Wii->SD, where you could recover them from your computer. Although, that's a lot of clicking with the Wii Remote.

I hope you get your saves 🫡
yes thank you, i was trying to avoid having to use the actual wii data management but at this point i’m putting more effort into not using it than it actually would be to use it (i would like my mario kart wii save though :() i can try the other options tomorrow but if that doesn’t work whatever, excessive clicking and no mario kart it is i guess

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto