• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Why are most gamers liberal?

• Thread starter Deleted-401606
  • Start date
  • Views 20,125
  • Replies 223
  • Likes 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Neh. Depends on the game. ;)

Easy example - in the animal kingdom, games are used to teach situational behavior.

Also the "thats why most gamers tend to be liberal" premise really is flawed (as others have pointed out before).

Games currently are played by a large cross section of humanity, as they became popular culture.

You would never argue "why are most movie goers liberal" (because it shouldnt matter much, as almost everyone goes to the cinema) - but for games we still think niche - for whatever reason.

Basically OP lied - and a bunch of people got triggered to write what they felt. Hence this thread. ;)
Why OP felt the need to argue "I'm a victim here" we dont know. Probably because none of the far right talking points was taken without resistance by other people on this forum.

Then OP had to decide, that either they were dumb - or the whole world was against him, so he chose "the whole world is against me".
rlqcYjE.jpg

Mystery solved.

Btw - which console is best? I thougth I'd ask. Maybe if I phrase it like - "Why are most people playing PS4?" (Seven pages of peoples opinions later, ...)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Neo127

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
On the MAGA point. If you take a slogan - and fill it with meaning. You cant complain that people dont take it literal anymore.

Because otherwise - lets go full 1984 and rename the ministry of defense, ministry of love, and ... What - people have something against love now?

False premise again. ;) Which now leaves us asking - you cant really be that dumb right? You trolling? ;)

edit: Someone also should do a meta analysis of this forum how many of the popular threads are actually a varient of "mine is better than yours", but specifically phrased as "why is mine better than yours", or "isnt it unfair, that yours is better than mine". Because it feels like all of them are. ;)

Everyone can participate with just an opinion or feeling - and off you go. :)

(If people are unsure about something nowadays they usually phrase it as "what is best?" which you could also analyze as a variant.)

Last edited by notimp,

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clipped
Good luck finding the podcaster of your dreams.. ;)

It's not a matter of human interaction or innate opinions - in practice, AI can deliver what I'm asking for - or I could simply watch it myself. It's more so that I wished people would want unfiltered news, not that it doesn't exist or isn't possible.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Republicunts just need to go away forever. And the Libtards need to suck their shit up, and quit being so SJW-ish in games. There's gotta be a good balance, and too far either direction sucks for everyone.

D

Deleted-401606

OP
@notimp How did I lie? All you do is troll people on the politics section and this entire thread is composed of liberals saying that it isn't true. You posted a picture of someone else's child without their consent and are trying to come off like you are this really mature enlightened individual. You really aren't at all, you just get away with trolling on GBAtemp because 90% of the staff here is liberal otherwise you would be long gone.

95% of the people arguing in this thread have stated that they are liberal yet you are still trying to pretend that you are an intellectual that some how debunked that most gamers aren't liberal. Read the politics section on GBAtemp and you will see that liberals outnumber conservatives here 9 to 1.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Immortallix

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@notimp How did I lie? All you do is troll people on the politics section and this entire thread is composed of liberals saying that it isn't true. You posted a picture of someone else's child without their consent and are trying to come off like you are this really mature enlightened individual. You really aren't at all, you just get away with trolling on GBAtemp because 90% of the staff here is liberal otherwise you would be long gone.

95% of the people arguing in this thread have stated that they are liberal yet you are still trying to pretend that you are an intellectual that some how debunked that most gamers aren't liberal. Read the politics section on GBAtemp and you will see that liberals outnumber conservatives here 9 to 1.

not really. a lot of discussion is back and forth. I really have no idea where you are getting this from.
Although the underlying point seems like this bothers you at some level i would presume. Which it shouldnt. Outside of the politics forum, nobody cares tbh.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
D

Deleted-401606

OP
not really. a lot of discussion is back and forth. I really have no idea where you are getting this from.
Although the underlying point seems like this bothers you at some level i would presume. Which it shouldnt. Outside of the politics forum, nobody cares tbh.

I just reread the thread and I still see that the vast majority of the people here claim that they are liberal. In a perfect world politics don't matter but I just don't understand why gaming draws liberals more than conservatives. I am not really naive enough to believe that there are more conservatives in gaming than liberals. On twitch I encountered the same thing, hyper sensitive PC culture where people constantly shit on the President but if you say anything back you are banned or are called names. For example there are a few users in this thread calling people idiots, it's completely against the rules but they are allowed to do it because the vast majority of the staff is liberal and they find it amusing.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just reread the thread and I still see that the vast majority of the people here claim that they are liberal. In a perfect world politics don't matter but I just don't understand why gaming draws liberals more than conservatives. I am not really naive enough to believe that there are more conservatives in gaming than liberals. On twitch I encountered the same thing, hyper sensitive PC culture where people constantly shit on the President but if you say anything back you are banned or are called names. For example there are a few users in this thread calling people idiots, it's completely against the rules but they are allowed to do it because the vast majority of the staff is liberal and they find it amusing.
A single thread. Go look at other threads and enjoy many people that identify as conservative pile on things they dislike as well (which is fine really).

as for people engaging in ad-hominems... If it bothers you, do the adult thing. do not engage in it and report it if you are getting insulted for no reason.

@Chary is pretty responsive in this regard and so are others.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted-401606

OP
A single thread. Go look at other threads and enjoy many people that identify as conservative pile on things they dislike as well (which is fine really).

as for people engaging in ad-hominems... If it bothers you, do the adult thing. do not engage in it and report it if you are getting insulted for no reason.

@Chary is pretty responsive in this regard and so are others.

Report and then what? I've been on this community for over 10 years. Notimp called me an idiot on a different thread and I had to contact 5 mods just to remove it because he cleverly hid it in a long paragraph. After finally contacting enough people, a moderator just removed the part where he called me an idiot and nothing else was done.

There is no solution here because moderating the forums properly would be way more work than it is worth. That's why the moderators fluctuate every two years and eventually start feeling apathetic. Nintendo mostly caters to children and adults that are a bit on the immature side. There is realistically nothing that the moderators can do to solve the ad hominem attacks or the general immature theme of the forum. If you have ever seen pictures of GBAtempers you will quickly see that there are many people in this community that are maladjusted. I am just venting at this point because there is absolutely no solution to this problem.

NoTimp posts a clearly trollish post calling me a liar and comparing me to a picture of a little kid(which is ridiculous that an adult would find funny) and a 30 year old guy likes it. What 30 year old man would even find that post remotely amusing?

Last edited by ,

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you report it and wait for a moderator to make a call. If they dont agree with you they may have their reasons and im pretty sure it would not always be politically motivated. you have to stop seeing people with different beliefs than you as out to get you or as an opponent. Just a sugestion.

This forum caters to a lot of consoles and not only one type of audience.

also notice how you just made a generalization about GBAtempers? do not be surprised when they make one back about you.

also as a final note:

hyper sensitive PC culture .

just remember a lot of people do use this as a veil to say some pretty awful things to others. If you believe these folks should "suck it up" then dont be surprised when they start saying awful things back to you or others that may share similar views. On this point I am being sincere, and not trying to accuse anybody of anything. just food for thought

Either way im out. I have said what i felt needed to be said on this topic. Just remember just because i disagree on politics with you does not mean I have an issue with you as a person. hopefully it holds the same for you.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just trolling, but maybe conservatives like living in an illogical fantasy world were they are the ones privy to the exploits.
see what i did there? you can change a word and it would sound the same.
this is the sort of stuff that is just made to rile people up. I dont suggest it if you want to get people's honest thoughts or opinions on the matter.

Honest political discussion that is meant to be productive should start without taking potshots at the other side.

either way. Im off to bed. good night to all of you.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It really doesn't sound the same, because the question wasn't "Why does it seem that most gamers are conservatives on the internet?" I was being liberal when I responded to that, too, btw. You want to have "honest political discussion" then maybe you should heed "just trolling" as a big warning that you aren't going to get that from me.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: Deleted-401606

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed that no matter the medium, most gamers seem to have left leaning beliefs and this applies whether it is twitch,twitter,gaming forums, or even just guilds in MMOs. Why does it seem that most gamers are liberals on the internet? It seems like no matter what gaming website you are on people become increasingly hostile towards you once they realize that you aren't a liberal. Why don't more conservatives play games? Is it because most conservatives think it's stupid and childish to play video games? Or is it maybe that younger people tend to gravitate towards liberalism and younger people also play more games? Even saying something as simple as MAGA can get someone to downright despise you.

It's a bitter pill that we should all be set down and made to come to terms with at an early age, and that pill is called Social Engineering and Generational Conditioning, though most today just know of it simply as harmless ol' marketing. If I may suggest a few points of study from a strictly academic approach..

Adam Curtis Documentaries (Youtube, BBC)

After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the 90's (the old battle plan from the 80's, I watched it all unfold)

Neil Postman Books (Books, Youtube) (60's to birth of Internet)

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World (and other books) (20th century) (youtube)

The Art of War by Sun Tzu (ancient)

The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind by Gustave Le Bon (late 1800's)

Edward Bernays (Youtube) (Books: Crystalizing Public Opinion, Propaganda) (early 20th Century)

B.F. Skinner's Research

Group Psychology and The Analysis of The Ego by Sigmund Freud

And probably the research of those involved in the education system such as Peg Luksik I.E. this old neglected video where in she was trying desperately to warn the people of yesterday of what they were being conditioned to be today, and she hit it square on the head, corporate funding and all. Now let me ask you this, when was the last time in history where you saw corporations unify for the cause of the rain forest people, the cause of the malnourished, diseased, homeless, and suffering? When did they try to stop the American machine from totally eradicating the memory of the cultures that resided here prior, when have you seen mega corporations loose sleep over our rapidly depleting wisdom, discernment, common sense, and education with foundation? Though for what ever reason, they are more than happy to pump millions into adverts that encourage more sex and in more varieties than before, and also to chase after your heart, and of course the product and philosophies they are peddling to you as well. But what do you say to those who wish to be fooled?

And also, here, like the books of Postman, are some references that really help to keep one truly and sincerely awake and able to surf the tides of a superficial and utterly false reality.

The Wisdom of Christ

Zen and Core Buddhism

Simone Weil

Jiddu Krishnamurti

Last edited by XDel,

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really doesn't sound the same, because the question wasn't "Why does it seem that most gamers are conservatives on the internet?" I was being liberal when I responded to that, too, btw. You want to have "honest political discussion" then maybe you should heed "just trolling" as a big warning that you aren't going to get that from me.
oh that was not directed to you. That was directed to anyone that wants to engage in honest conversation. ;)
seriously though. now im out. work is early tomorrow.

D

Deleted-401606

OP
It's a bitter pill that we should all be set down and made to come to terms with at an early age, and that pill is called Social Engineering and Generational Conditioning, though most today just know of it simply as harmless ol' marketing. If I may suggest a few points of study from a strictly academic approach..

Adam Curtis Documentaries (Youtube, BBC)

After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the 90's (the old battle plan from the 80's, I watched it all unfold)

Neil Postman Books (Books, Youtube) (60's to birth of Internet)

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World (and other books) (20th century) (youtube)

The Art of War by Sun Tzu (ancient)

The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind by Gustave Le Bon (late 1800's)

Edward Bernays (Youtube) (Books: Crystalizing Public Opinion, Propaganda) (early 20th Century)

B.F. Skinner's Research

Group Psychology and The Analysis of The Ego by Sigmund Freud

And probably the research of those involved in the education system such as Peg Luksik I.E. this old neglected video that proved to correct!

And also, here, like the books of Postman, are some references that really help to keep one truly and sincerely awake and able to surf the tides of a superficial and utterly false reality.

The Wisdom of Christ

Zen and Core Buddhism

Simone Weil

Jiddu Krishnamurti

Thanks for the information, I saved all the links you sent me in case that the mods decide to delete your post. I do value your opinion a little bit more than the opinion of others that have posted here since your profile says that you are a wee bit older than most members here. I don't necessarily think that most liberals are stupid how some people here think that conservatives are dumb, I just think that there is an agenda that is being force fed down peoples throats through the media and the state sponsored education system. Everyone always thinks that their views are unique even though they just regurgitate what their college professor told them or whatever politics their favorite actor/artist follows.

Reactions: XDel

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information, I saved all the links you sent me in case that the mods decide to delete your post. I do value your opinion a little bit more than the opinion of others that have posted here since your profile says that you are a wee bit older than most members here. I don't necessarily think that most liberals are stupid how some people here think that conservatives are dumb, I just think that there is an agenda that is being force fed down peoples throats through the media and the state sponsored education system. Everyone always thinks that their views are unique even though they just regurgitate what their college professor told them or whatever politics their favorite actor/artist follows.

Yes, thank you, and I sincerely hope you enjoy them, and I assure you, I have no agenda attached except for stating that reality that we tend of think of it is a farce. :)

That said, I do hope that having been here and having been attentive to the social changes around me since as far back as I can remember (I was always the black sheep), counts a bit more than someone who wasn't there to come along and here the version that they read about or that their older peers told them... leaving out the fact that half of them were drunk and partying or too busy working, watching TV, and keeping up with the joneses to really SEE you know? But now suddenly everybody is woke, backed with years of research, meditation, observation, etc. etc. in a truly scientific manner and all that.

Anyhow, I am not saying liberals are stupid, I am saying that the general populous has been dumbed down and and made to believe that our ignorance is in fact wisdom and knowledge. We were all created with amazing potentials, but as it was once said, the road to freedom is seldom traveled by the multitude, and that road is all in your head... figuratively. ;)

That said, what is liberal and what is conservative? By whose conservative values are we going by? A particular Native American tribe? That of a young business professional for the 80's and 90's? Or how about Leave it to Beaver, or Rocky Horror Picture Show, that's kind of old now and could be considered Conservative. As for liberal, that means that it leans towards liberation, and if liberation leans towards Freedom, then perhaps I am a liberal myself, but I look around and so many self proclaimed liberals what to tell me how to live, talk, think, and so forth. And while I share a lot of values with people who consider them selves conservative, I also find that many of them are attempting to put me into a box or mold of some kind, and are often afraid of "things that are different" such as different religions, philosophies, etc., even those that exist outside of the scope of sex and actually deal with the deeper aspects of life, reality, and consciousness.

D

Deleted-401606

OP
Yes, thank you, and I sincerely hope you enjoy them, and I assure you, I have no agenda attached except for stating that reality that we tend of think of it is a farce. :)

That said, I do hope that having been here and having been attentive to the social changes around me since as far back as I can remember (I was always the black sheep), counts a bit more than someone who wasn't there to come along and here the version that they read about or that their older peers told them... leaving out the fact that half of them were drunk and partying or too busy working, watching TV, and keeping up with the joneses to really SEE you know? But now suddenly everybody is woke, backed with years of research, meditation, observation, etc. etc. in a truly scientific manner and all that.

Anyhow, I am not saying liberals are stupid, I am saying that the general populous has been dumbed down and and made to believe that our ignorance is in fact wisdom and knowledge. We were all created with amazing potentials, but as it was once said, the road to freedom is seldom traveled by the multitude, and that road is all in your head... figuratively. ;)

That said, what is liberal and what is conservative? By whose conservative values are we going by? A particular Native American tribe? That of a young business professional for the 80's and 90's? Or how about Leave it to Beaver, or Rocky Horror Picture Show, that's kind of old now and could be considered Conservative. As for liberal, that means that it leans towards liberation, and if liberation leans towards Freedom, then perhaps I am a liberal myself, but I look around and so many self proclaimed liberals what to tell me how to live, talk, think, and so forth. And while I share a lot of values with people who consider them selves conservative, I also find that many of them are attempting to put me into a box or mold of some kind, and are often afraid of "things that are different" such as different religions, philosophies, etc., even those that exist outside of the scope of sex and actually deal with the deeper aspects of life, reality, and consciousness.

So would you describe yourself as a libertarian?

Reactions: XDel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjCivnt5t50