What video game maps do you know by heart?

Kanto_Town_Map_RBY.png

One of the funnest parts of adventure games is getting to explore the world, getting to see all the fun visuals and details unique to that game's universe. Some of them, especially open-world games will have you trek across locations for a majority of your adventure, and you'll wind up familiarizing yourself with landmarks, being able to orient yourself within the game's world, just by looking at a single building. Especially if you've played that specific game over and over.

If I were to name an example, it would have to be the Kanto region. After pouring hundreds of hours replaying the game with various Pokemon teams as a kid, I've burned every building inside and out, route, cave, and Gym into my brain. Sometimes, I think with distress, that I could have something more valuable stored in that brain-space that holds this information, but regardless, my repeated travels from Palette Town all the way to Indigo Plateau will never be shaken from the deepest recesses of my memory. It doesn't help that anyone who knows anything about Pokemon is aware of how many games Kanto has been a part of, from the original Red and Blue, to Yellow's more anime-esque take, Gold and Silver's shrunken-down retreading and their respective re-releases, and Fire Red/Leaf Green and Let's Go's remakes of that oh-so-familiar world.

110995.jpg

Another game that manages to create a memorable gaming world is Persona 4. Inaba is repeatedly described as a boring town with nothing of interest, and its small-town vibe plays a major role in both the story and the game's overarching theme. It's hardly comparable to Persona 3's bustling city of Iwatodai, or Persona 5, which lets you travel by bus to visit multiple varied and sprawling Japanese prefectures. Yet, throughout your 80+ hour journey throughout the game, you wind up appreciating Inaba for all its charms, just like the local residents do. Each day, you'll either be hanging out with your friends at the Junes Food Court, or going to class every morning. Most of your Social Links--another integral part of the game--have to be sought out, and they each have their own daily schedules and favorite places to relax. When it rains and no one wants to go outside, you'll find yourself fishing at the Samegawa Riverbank, and given just how many times it rains in Persona 4, you're going to be walking there a lot. The world feels lived in and real, and it helps you slowly become aqcuainted with it, to know where everything and everyone is, to the point of no longer needing a guide. Just like how you would become adjusted in real life, if you had to move to a new town, just like the main character.

Ppc_foyer.jpg

But perhaps the best example of all, is Peach's Castle, from Super Mario 64. It's the quintessential hub world, letting you explore the castle, both inside and out. You begin with just a few doors available to you, with the rest locked behind Power Stars. As you begin to collect more and progress through the game, you'll open a handful of new doors after every world, finding new rooms, each with unique designs that stand out. Even years between revisiting Super Mario 64, I still know that the left-most door in the entry will take you to Bob-omb Battlefield, that taking the stairs to the door with the large Power Star on it will lead to a hallway with Princess Peach's picture on it, only for it to trick you and turn into Bowser, before dropping you through a trick floor, or how if I were to be blindfolded, I'd still probably be able to beat Koopa the Quick, just by knowing the path so well. There's no shortage of secrets to be found either, such as The Princess' Secret Slide level, found by jumping into a stained glass window at random. It rewards the player for exploring the world thoroughly, and thanks to careful considerations and genius level designs from the development team, they were able to give us one of the best 3D worlds ever.

Now, we want to know. What video game map is the most memorable to you? If you closed your eyes and tried to perfectly re-create a single world in your mind, which game would it be, and why?

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Kanto, Jhoto, Vice City, LoZ MM, LoZ Oracle of Seasons...
I'm pretty sure a bunch more too, but those were the days, and i don't regret still having that much info stored inside my brain xD

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people will see the castle in Mario 64, but it's isle delfino for me. Thinking back to childhood games I spent way too long in, there's rogueport, specifically mushroom bridge from double dash, Andy's Room in Disney Xtreme Skate adventure (a tony hawk engine game), skyloft, and the world.i. Barnyard which is what I consider a surprisingly good liscensed game. It's a GTA game for children.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Psx metal gear, can literally replay it in my mind.
View attachment 245156
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's a hard one, I spent hours sometimes to get to the right place haha

I have played and enjoyed the Game for Months after it was released on the Playstation/PSX.:)

Reactions: HideoKojima

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have played and enjoyed the Game for Months after it was released on the Playstation/PSX.:)
For me it was a bit dramatic, my little sister hid CD 2 and we couldn't find it for months, so had to replay CD1 many times, I literally uncovered everything including the parachute scene (where Snake sees a parachute on a tree, and realize that Liquid was still alive and didn't die from the helicopter crash)...and then we found CD2 inside a book haha

Last edited by HideoKojima,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
- WoW TBC including all of the Dungeons and Raids
- GTA San Andreas
- Pokémon Gen I, II, III and now VIII
- if it happens to count, the Pokémon Go Map of large parts of Berlin (meaning I know the positions of Pokéstops and Gyms without having to look onto my phone)

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice thread!

Pokémon Gen 1, 2
Dragon Quest Monsters
Ultima Online (at least from the Free Shard I played)
Prince of Persia 1 & 2
Lara's Home at Tomb Raider
GTA Vice City
Super Mario Bros.
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Wii)

aaand unfortunately:
Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess I know GTA III's map pretty well too, because when the Switch port dropped, I hopped right in it and knew my way around, like I was in my hometown again.

Sinnoh, man, Sinnoh. Grew up with this region; still one of my favourites (alongside Unova), even if Route 217 is a slog to get through due to deep snow, along with snowfall making it hard to see.
Man, I can't even be asked to play that part of gen 4 games without a cheat code that turns off random encounters.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I plugged my old AC memory card into my Wii and managed to backup the save, it was so awesome being able to play through my old town again! No one moved, either, even after 10 years!
Jesus I hate to think of all the weeds the town must have had after all that time :rofl2:

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
While not really a map per se, I've spent so much time in FF14's Eorzea I know it like the back of my hand.

Dinosaur Island from SMW.

If they had maps I'd be able to draw most of the classic Sonic games from memory.

Lylat Wars/Starfox 64. I know the Lylat system inside and out.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh, there are so many maps in my brain by now. I guess all of Super Mario 64 is in there, considering how much I've played that game, with achievements, glitches and everything.
And there's that one TINY map that I think that everyone who has seriously played the game knows by heart: Harvest Moon for the SNES.

But then you have Zelda 2, LTTP, Ocarina of Time, Chrono Trigger... so many classic games that I have played countless times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty