Homebrew W.I.P. Nestopia port!

D

Deleted User

Author here. For the most part its working, but in order to get it to run faster, I'm working on hardware-accelerated rendering. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get that to work on anything but citra so far, so for now it just freezes when you load a game.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well keep up dude, I'm excited to see a playable release, the 3DS homebrew scene needs functional emulators and more good devs :D

Reactions: Margen67
D

Deleted User

I'll keep trying, but I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet. Haven't been having much luck with getting GPU rendering to work on an actual 3DS.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Nestopia was a really nice emulator to use, although VirtuaNES has the best NSF playback GUI ;D

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'll keep trying, but I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet. Haven't been having much luck with getting GPU rendering to work on an actual 3DS.

If you take a look at the source code for BlargSNES, you can get an idea of how to do it. What that does is that it goes through each scanline, identifies differences from the previous scanline (like modes, background position, etc), stores them into sections, and then after the last scanline, goes through each section one at a time, grabbing the tiles that make up each section, converting them to direct-color textures that get stored into a texture cache, and mapping those onto 2 polygons (that form a rectangle) that are added to an array list. Sounds like a lot, but considering you're working with the NES and not the SNES, many of the steps are simplified.

jocopoco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
k, thanks but I have problems with ctrcommon, which ctrulib verrsion are u using? Anyway I have also problems with my emu, is your hb requiring external files on sd?

D

Deleted User

If you take a look at the source code for BlargSNES, you can get an idea of how to do it. What that does is that it goes through each scanline, identifies differences from the previous scanline (like modes, background position, etc), stores them into sections, and then after the last scanline, goes through each section one at a time, grabbing the tiles that make up each section, converting them to direct-color textures that get stored into a texture cache, and mapping those onto 2 polygons (that form a rectangle) that are added to an array list. Sounds like a lot, but considering you're working with the NES and not the SNES, many of the steps are simplified.

One of my goals is to not touch the actual NES emulator code, allowing the libretro frontend code to be reused on other emulator cores. Of course, if that proves too slow, I can always delve into the NES rendering code and make some changes.

I actually have everything rendering fine on citra. I seem to be making an error somewhere in my use of GPU code, however, as it freezes on an actual 3DS.

Basically, my issue isn't with how I want to render it, but that I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in the resulting code that makes it freeze.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
One of my goals is to not touch the actual NES emulator code, allowing the libretro frontend code to be reused on other emulator cores. Of course, if that proves too slow, I can always delve into the NES rendering code and make some changes.

I actually have everything rendering fine on citra. I seem to be making an error somewhere in my use of GPU code, however, as it freezes on an actual 3DS.

Basically, my issue isn't with how I want to render it, but that I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in the resulting code that makes it freeze.

You should ask the big guys on #3dsdev then, if they don't have an answer they might at least help you finding one...

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice, good luck!

As someone said, it's too bad to see the lack of working 3DS emulators homebrew when most of them could now work without any downscaling at all and fullspeed/with sound

(Still hoping someone will try to emulate the Genesis, one day).

And nice choice about Nestopia, as it's a cycle-accurate emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o