Homebrew W.I.P. Nestopia port!

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the settings in the emulator. If the NTSC filter option isn't disabled, disable it.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! It works now. Like the Dev says, it is slow, but runnable. CIA has Sound (dont know if the .3ds or .3dsx do or not). Graphics are perfect. Wonder if it would be possible, if you have the Display at 1:1, to have a Background layout like BlargSnes does. Could have a Image of a old TV Set so it looks like you are playing it on the TV. LOL.
Excellent work Dev. VERY Excellent work. SMB runs great despite the slowness of it, but if it takes time, it is all good.

Edit: Note- Games tested all have the Stuttering issues. As of now, like the Dev says, it is a WIP. Can not be helped. CIA has Sound.
Super Mario Brothers: Looks great. some very minor graphic issues, but otherwise near perfect.
Super Mario World: Graphic problems. Seems to run a little slower than normal.
Super Mario Brothers 3: Graphic Issues. Game kind of has performance issues when you hit a "?" Block. Otherwise, no problem.
-Also, if you use GGGuy Program to add Cheats to the ROM Image, it will work on the Games. However, this Game, when starting out, Mario is rather messed up Graphic wise. But once you grab a Powerup, you are good to go.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Damn so it's not only Nestopia. If you guys can get Gambatte running with good scaling that'd be simply fantastic.

But can the 3DS even handle Nestopia at fullspeed? Wouldn't it be better to port something like FCEUMM?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Damn so it's not only Nestopia. If you guys can get Gambatte running with good scaling that'd be simply fantastic.

Gambatte has scaling too (I used the core from RetroArch), as well as savestates and colouring GB mono games (it's basically the NEStopia of Gameboy). Anyway, I'm going to see if I can use sf2dlib by xerpi to make these ports even simpler (still learning how to draw textures with it, though).

Edit: I figured out how to draw the sort of textures needed for emulators, now let's put two and two together (i.e., gambatte plus sf2dlib), and see what we get..

D

Deleted User

Gambatte has scaling too (I used the core from RetroArch), as well as savestates and colouring GB mono games (it's basically the NEStopia of Gameboy). Anyway, I'm going to see if I can use sf2dlib by xerpi to make these ports even simpler (still learning how to draw textures with it, though).

Edit: I figured out how to draw the sort of textures needed for emulators, now let's put two and two together (i.e., gambatte plus sf2dlib), and see what we get..

I also have a Gambatte port in my GitHub, but it's not quite working properly with my GPU code. Need to look into some issues with copying to a texture with a different width.

sf2dlib may simplify code a bit, but it likely wouldn't improve speed over my OpenGL-esque GPU functions that I've been making as part of my ctrcommon library. Speed improvements would likely require either a less accuracy-focused core or modifications to the rendering code to make better use of hardware rendering than just drawing the finished framebuffer to the 3DS screen.

I do plan to make use of my GPU code on GameYob once I get Gambatte's (or rather, GBC screens in general) rendering to work properly. Seeing as how GameYob already runs at full speed, GPU rendering should be able to run at full speed even with scaling.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, since there has not been a mention of it yet:
.3ds way of running this Emu, you will NOT have any Sound. Probably the same with the .3dsx File as well. However, the .cia File of loading this Emu, you will have Sound. Thinking that Emus should have .cia Files as an optional way of running them since for some reason, they have more Permissions.
Personally I prefer CIAs since I will be able to Install directly to the System and not need to use the GW Card, or run the Ninjahax Exploit since at times, it is difficult to even load, not to mention, if anything, you will need to have to have the WiFi turned on which would eventually lead to the nagging Update Pop Ups and not being able to load anything else.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
D

Deleted User

That's pretty much been the norm for .3ds homebrew apps since Gateway allowed them in the first place. It requires updating the RSF file to include CSND in the descriptor section: https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/lpp-3ds/commit/35b684436bac77b8f5465bd4d469e684bfa6ccb7

Just pushed a bunch of project structure changes. Among them, I pushed a fix for sound in the .3ds build. If you redownload it from the link in the README, it should have sound. FBI, my CIA installer, should also work as a .3ds.

well seeing as i had the banner mostly made already ....ps ignore the crappy wire had to scale it way down for it to work properly :)

Wow, that's really nice! Mind if I put that in the official build?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just pushed a bunch of project structure changes. Among them, I pushed a fix for sound in the .3ds build. If you redownload it from the link in the README, it should have sound. FBI, my CIA installer, should also work as a .3ds.

Wow, that's really nice! Mind if I put that in the official build?
sure np, heres all the raw stuff if you need it, save you ripping it out :P....ps i might try fix the wire when i have some spare time, probably scale the console/game/controller all back a bit so the wire doesn't have to look so rough :P

Attachments

• nestopiabanner.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
D

Deleted User

ooops fixed that, oh and btw i mentioned where i got the models from in the blargsnes thread, but just for clarity i just "borrowed" the models from a nintendo pack on gmod ^_^. only thing thats original is the crappy wire :lol:

Done, the official build now uses the 3D banner.

Reactions: daxtsu

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banner looks PERFECT!!!! Cable is no problem to me at all. Sleep Mode has no issues so far. However, when I was running SMB3, I beat the 1st Level, then when I was brought back to the Map, only the Right side of the Screen was visable and it was flickering trying to show more of the Graphics. I ran the Second Stage and Paused it to try and get a Picture. But when I finally got the Cam ready, the Screen was fine. So more than likely, Graphics might need a bit of work when able after getting everything else taken care of. But for right now, everything seems great for a WIP.

Attachments

• 20150331_211303-1.jpg
    20150331_211303-1.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 201
D

Deleted User

Banner looks PERFECT!!!! Cable is no problem to me at all. Sleep Mode has no issues so far. However, when I was running SMB3, I beat the 1st Level, then when I was brought back to the Map, only the Right side of the Screen was visable and it was flickering trying to show more of the Graphics. I ran the Second Stage and Paused it to try and get a Picture. But when I finally got the Cam ready, the Screen was fine. So more than likely, Graphics might need a bit of work when able after getting everything else taken care of. But for right now, everything seems great for a WIP.

Yeah, graphics are still a bit of a WIP. I'm also considering trying out a different NES core, as Nestopia, being accuracy-focused, may not be the best choice for the 3DS in terms of speed.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What's wrong with using Nestopia?

The 3DS might not be fast enough to handle it at constant full speed without extensive modifications to the core (which might end up sacrificing accuracy), and at that point, using a less accurate emulator like FCEUX would make more sense, since the focus is speed more than accuracy. I think that's what we're trying to find out while Steve improves the speed via GPU rendering. Once that stone's had the water squeezed out of it, then we'll see where that leaves us.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...