Homebrew Emulation [Release] DOSBox-SVN port for 3DS

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I played 2 hours with this emu yesterday and I must say it is working great.

@MrHuu : do you think there is enough room for optimizations to gain about 10%-20% speed or this is already the best we can do ?

anotherusername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is cool.

I was able to get Ultima 5 working with the sound patch and rune patch. The game loads, saves, and runs great so far. I've mapped some of the keyboard commands to various buttons to save time from having to go to the keyboard for everything.

I tried X-Wing but it ran slow. Similar to how is runs on ds2x86. I also played with Ultima Underworld some though I need to figure out some of the key mappings because navigating is difficult. I also tried Dark Forces but it wouldn't fully launch. I kept getting a could not find or read Helnum.fnt file error and then it would crash. I'm using the gog install and it works on a laptop. Not sure what the problem is there.

Anyway, great work.

Reactions: ThorMode9

Asaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also played with Ultima Underworld some though I need to figure out some of the key mappings because navigating is difficult.

I also tried Dark Forces but it wouldn't fully launch. I kept getting a could not find or read Helnum.fnt file error and then it would crash. I'm using the gog install and it works on a laptop. Not sure what the problem is there.
Yeah, trying to think up some keybinds for Underworld sounds like a real challenge. Maybe if one got creative and bound the lean buttons to the C-stick, that might help a little? Not sure about walk vs. run.

I have don't have the GoG Dark Forces (I have the old CD-ROM), but my guess would be that they're using a disc image, and that it isn't getting mounted properly.

I thought I was clever and tried running some Atari 2600 emulators the other day, but they ran like molasses =) Not sure if cycles is already on max or not, but I would assume that it is?

anotherusername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, trying to think up some keybinds for Underworld sounds like a real challenge. Maybe if one got creative and bound the lean buttons to the C-stick, that might help a little? Not sure about walk vs. run.

I have don't have the GoG Dark Forces (I have the old CD-ROM), but my guess would be that they're using a disc image, and that it isn't getting mounted properly.

I thought I was clever and tried running some Atari 2600 emulators the other day, but they ran like molasses =) Not sure if cycles is already on max or not, but I would assume that it is?
Running an emulator in an emulator. That’s sure to slow things down.

So I downloaded and got the Dark Forces demo working. It runs fairly well. I did figure out the gog version isn’t loading dark.gob properly on the 3ds.

I also installed and ran Starflight 2. It works fine. Saves and loads. Although it doesn’t seem to be as fun as I remembered it. Maybe it’s because I recently played the polished Starflight on the Sega Genesis emulator.

Asaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still can't figure out how to prevent 320x200 from filling the entire screen, but I did figure out how to change the video mode for the DOS prompt: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=89023

Running MODE0D.COM or adding it to the autoexec will set the prompt to 320x200 16 colors.
MODE03 or just using CLS will set it back to default.
(to be honest, I haven't made sure it does work on the 3DS version yet, but it's working just fine in PC DOSBox)

I made myself a simple BAT menu for choosing from a selection of games/programs (not included, but I can upload it if anyone is interested). Right now it uses CHOICE to navigate with specific keypresses, but I might look into being able to navigate via arrows + enter key later. I'm not very proficient in BAT scripting, and I'd like to keep it as portable/compatible as possible. DOSBox seems a bit limited with which commands and syntaxes it supports.

dos1.png

dos2.png

Attachments

• mode.zip
    6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by Asaki,

Asaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also played with Ultima Underworld some though I need to figure out some of the key mappings because navigating is difficult.
You know what? I can't even figure out how to use the mouse...
Moving the cursor around works fine, but none of the buttons seem to be bound to any of the mouse buttons, and I don't see an option to bind them.
Maybe it has to be done manually in the config file, but I don't feel like unscrewing my 3DS to get the SD card out again to check, and the FTP program hasn't been working for me lately.

dudeguy2022

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting this error on launch: "Can't allocate main memory of 16MB".

The system is an O2DS. It DOES create a dosbox-SVN.conf file.

[Edit]
After that, I edited the .conf file, changing "memsize" value from 16 to 8 or 12. That error is gone, but dosbox closes without any error message nor any log.
I have the same problem and it is killing me

anotherusername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what? I can't even figure out how to use the mouse...
Moving the cursor around works fine, but none of the buttons seem to be bound to any of the mouse buttons, and I don't see an option to bind them.
Maybe it has to be done manually in the config file, but I don't feel like unscrewing my 3DS to get the SD card out again to check, and the FTP program hasn't been working for me lately.
With the mouse you have to tap or or double tap on the screen it doesn’t always seem to work consistently for me.

Asaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I FIGURED OUT THE SCALING ISSUE! =D =D =D

In the CONF file, you set the resolution to "400 x 240" (note the spaces, it won't work without them).
I also have "fullscreen" set to "TRUE", but I'm not sure if that's necessary or not.

Anything in high-res text mode will be a lot more difficult to use, though, since it will be zoomed in on the upper-left portion of the screen.
Every program I've tried resets the video mode when they load, so my MODE0D program gets cancelled out...not sure if there's an easy way around that without modifying DOSBox itself (which would be ideal).
But it should be fine if you're just going to play pre-installed, low-res games.
Maybe using DOS's MODE.COM (or some other program) to change the amount of columns/rows? I doubt it would work, but I'd have to play around with it and see.

Another thought, adding support for 800x240 could be pretty useful for a 640x200 text mode. Maybe even 640x480 with some 50% scaling applied to the vertical.

With the mouse you have to tap or or double tap on the screen it doesn’t always seem to work consistently for me.
Ah, yeah. I've done it by mistake a few times, but it's incredibly difficult to do intentionally.
Have you figured out RMB yet?

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
A very cool port, is it possible to assign the c-pad and the L and R keys in the settings for the mouse?

Beside that i am trying to run Win95 and 98 lite pro but i can't do it i think i must make a mistake in the command line, can someone help me please?

My img files are located here:

sd card root/3ds/DOSBox/OS/...(win95 or 98 img)

The command line I'm trying to run is:

imgmount d c:/3ds/DOSBox/OS/win95.img

boot c:/win95.img

But it doesn't work, I've tested my img files with retroarch, it works but I'd like to test it on DOSBox and here I've missed something...

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
A very cool port, is it possible to assign the c-pad and the L and R keys in the settings for the mouse?

Beside that i am trying to run Win95 and 98 lite pro but i can't do it i think i must make a mistake in the command line, can someone help me please?

My img files are located here:

sd card root/3ds/DOSBox/OS/...(win95 or 98 img)

The command line I'm trying to run is:

imgmount d c:/3ds/DOSBox/OS/win95.img

boot c:/win95.img

But it doesn't work, I've tested my img files with retroarch, it works but I'd like to test it on DOSBox and here I've missed something...

I do not have a win95 img but if you try this :

mount C sdmc:/3ds/DOSBox/OS/
imgmount C: C:/win95.img
boot C:/win95.img

Asaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be trying Daggerfall and Fallout this week along with about 10 others.
Catacombs 3D runs at maybe 1/3 full speed. I can't imagine Daggerfall would be very fun to play.
Fallout's resolution is too high, and relies on a lot of mouse for controls.

ThorMode9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Catacombs 3D runs at maybe 1/3 full speed. I can't imagine Daggerfall would be very fun to play.
Fallout's resolution is too high, and relies on a lot of mouse for controls.
That's too bad. I'm about to try Fallout right now anyway. Does the c-stick still not act as the mouse?

I'd sure love to donate to keep this project going. A .cia would be amazing.

Reactions: jamespoo

jamespoo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
wow this is amazing work going to try it now

edit just tried it now with
split wad willie
wacky wheels

and they both run perfect and i did not need to setup the buttons :)

also tried street fighter 2 dos version it works but cant workout how to setup buttons for it

Last edited by jamespoo,

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Asaki

Currently this port always scales to fit the height. As noticed, when setting the resolution to 400 x 240 in tho config file only works as long as there's no resolution change. Other resolutions will be scaled to 240px screen height.

This was done in an attempt to support most resolutions while early in development. I will definitely try and work towards a better solution.

I'd sure love to donate to keep this project going. A .cia would be amazing.

Don't worry, i'm not interested in donations.
I do it for fun. But when i don't have fun doing it, i need a break.

It takes a tremendous amount of time, to create a layout / graphics, to figure out how to properly access the required memory and to code in general.
I basically suck at all of the above, so it may take a while to take on all various aspects required for this port.
Failure is not an option, even if it takes a long time. But it's still just a hobby.

Mike M

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a few things that might be helpful...
>holding the small box button did make the keyboard, mouse, etc. All appear
>the mapper file just has to be created as a blank text file and put in the same directory as the conf file(just make sure its named the same in the conf file)
>binding the left and right mouse buttons to the triggers would be amazing! Maybe you could add those buttons to the keyboard numpad layout part?
>homebrew menu xml files are amazing customization. But, if people want a Cia for each game you can probably just put all the files in one directory for each game and use the 3ds launcher loader from rinnegatamante

Last edited by Mike M,

ThorMode9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got Ultima VIII running.

@Asaki
Don't worry, i'm not interested in donations.
I do it for fun. But when i don't have fun doing it, i need a break.

It takes a tremendous amount of time, to create a layout / graphics, to figure out how to properly access the required memory and to code in general.
I basically suck at all of the above, so it may take a while to take on all various aspects required for this port.
Failure is not an option, even if it takes a long time. But it's still just a hobby.

Well, all I can do is thank you and continue to support this amazing project a lot of people wanted.

Reactions: Mike M

SWChris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made myself a simple BAT menu for choosing from a selection of games/programs (not included, but I can upload it if anyone is interested).

Could you please upload that BAT menu? I’m even less proficient but can get by with customizing what’s already written. Thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)