Emulator Red Viper - Virtual Boy emulator

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ok I know the C-stick on the new 3ds can act like the right dpad, but on the old 3ds, the closest we have to that is the circle pad pro. Is the circle pad pro also supported?

The GitHub readme for the project says it's coming in the future.

In the meantime you can use ABXY as a d-pad with A and B buttons being on the touchscreen, which you can toggle through the touchscreen also. In Teleroboxer, for instance, I found it to work really well.

Last edited by splaca,

Tuhr

Doctor Spaceballs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can honestly state that I still have lingering vertigo from using a real Virtual Boy and I am reluctant about ever playing it on hardware anymore. I am procrastinating about testing it with an emulator, will get around to it when I read enough reviews. I don't want seizures.

Floogle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe add a exit game button to the pause menu? Would that help the emulator crash less?
While I appreciate the suggestion, I'd like to clarify some details about how Red Viper works.
Firstly, the way it uses memory. While many programs have a constantly fluctuating memory usage, this isn't how Red Viper works: once a ROM is loaded, its memory usage never changes.
Secondly, the way ROM unloading works. Loading a new ROM is implemented as unloading the current one, then loading in the new one. Adding an extra button to return to the "no ROM loaded" state feels redundant, and wouldn't solve any problems.

Nevertheless, thank you for reporting this bug. I'm currently focusing on some frequently-requested features, but hopefully the stability issues will be stamped out too before too long.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
And you know what? The games are pretty damn fun! Okay, there's a few stinkers in there, too. But the thing was pretty much Dead On Arrival before it could actually get off the ground, so what can you expect? I've seen worse launch line-ups.

This is really true. Weirdly enough, given the tiny library of 22 official games, I think the Virtual Boy might technically have the highest proportion of good (if not always great) games of any system ever. Its commercial failure meant there was no motivation to make low-effort shovelware titles and by the nature of launch-period software, it's basically all stuff from internal studios and the external developers Nintendo had enough faith in to get devkits to before release.

There's exceptions (like Virtual Lab and Waterworld), but about two-thirds of the games are something you can pick up and have at least an OK time with. 2/3 is an incredible hit rate any other console would kill for. It's fantastic for these games to finally see a wider audience. So many thanks to Floogle and danielps.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think the problem may be that after a while some games just take too much memory and so they crash, but somehow the autopause stops that, not sure how. Gonna say lack of enough testing.

Datbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here to report another homebrew game which seems to not work. The game is elevated speed, booting it up and title screen work perfectly, same with the menu. The issue comes when starting a race, the ground is completely nonexistent and your car just seems to spin around quickly while the background zooms in a bit. Im almost certain this isnt intentional and I feel like it could maybe be fixed. If not that completely understandable.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
here to report another homebrew game which seems to not work. The game is elevated speed, booting it up and title screen work perfectly, same with the menu. The issue comes when starting a race, the ground is completely nonexistent and your car just seems to spin around quickly while the background zooms in a bit. Im almost certain this isnt intentional and I feel like it could maybe be fixed. If not that completely understandable.

Not even all official released games work without crashing.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Datbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem may be that after a while some games just take too much memory and so they crash, but somehow the autopause stops that, not sure how. Gonna say lack of enough testing.
Not even all official released games work without crashing.
its not that it crashes, the game just doesnt really work after the menu

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country

The developer of Elevated Speed, pizzarollsroyce (great name), has actually been making some contributions to this project via GitHub to improve homebrew support. In one case (not yet merged) they even explicitly reference Elevated Speed, so I think it's very likely Elevated Speed and other homebrew will work (better) in upcoming releases.

Datbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The developer of Elevated Speed, pizzarollsroyce (great name), has actually been making some contributions to this project via GitHub to improve homebrew support. In one case (not yet merged) they even explicitly reference Elevated Speed, so I think it's very likely Elevated Speed and other homebrew will work (better) in upcoming releases.
yo that awesome to hear. Cant wait. Elevated speed looks awesome so I hope it works later down the line

Reactions: raxadian

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Despite being trash, as in there is literally better games with the same 3D Tetris idea, I keep playing 3D Tetris trying to beat my high score. With Wario the first 3D boss keeps kicking my ass and wow is Mario Clash basically an unfinished demo and it shows.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Despite being trash, as in there is literally better games with the same 3D Tetris idea, I keep playing 3D Tetris trying to beat my high score. With Wario the first 3D boss keeps kicking my ass and wow is Mario Clash basically an unfinished demo and it shows.
First Wario boss took me several tries. Best tips I've got are: jump when the attack from the other side is launched, with practice you can get the right timing to avoid it; then when it's on your side, back off until it goes away from you, comes back toward you, and after that attack jump in with the right timing to get on its head while the swingy thingy is out of the way.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Doesn't ever crash on me. I'm playing on a New 3DS

As I said with autopause turned on 3D Tetris doesn't crash at all after the last update in the old 3DS. It it is a menory leakage issue, then it would just take longer to crash on the New 3ds but should still crash eventually with auto pause turned off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto