Homebrew [POC] Fallout 1 for 3DS

WooperEnjoyer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the last dev update was a week ago, and so far seems to be going well, so there are certanely no plans to shut down the project, tho not me nor OP can predict the future

Reactions: Hat-Man

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please don't get the wrong idea here.. for now it's still a proof of concept. As you may have noticed, there are slight performance issues. So i've been playing around with various options trying to fix that. Just don't expect anything fully playable, bug fixed or anything fully optimized for 3ds soon.

So far i've got a build with threaded rendering, works quite nice but not full speed all the time.
Right now i'm trying to render the game with citro3d, maybe that could improve performance a bit.

While i'm trying to have fun learning about paletized buffers, textures and swizzling, there's little noteworthy progress to be made.

Here's what i'm currently looking at.
screenshot5.png

• Love

WooperEnjoyer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't have a big knowledge of programming, for what I've played the game I was nothing shorter than impressed, since it's already enjoyable as an alternative to the PC version when not at hand's reach, much better than the phone DosBox version especially, having also the 3DS' personality in it.
I hope you have the best time working on this project, you deserve a lot for what you've done so far.

0hjah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Can I use translated version of Fallout with it?
UPD: Just installed translation pack and it's working! There was two .exe files and DATA folder in translation pack, and I just copied DATA folder over original Fallout's DATA.

2023-10-09_01-04-55.238_bot.jpg

Last edited by 0hjah,
Reactions: splaca

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was hoping to be able to push an update earlier, but i'm still running into a few issues so it may take some time. In the meantime, i'd like to share two builds.

The first uses SDL2 software rendering as before, but has a few improvements on various relocated gui elements. And text is readable again while talking. Also, in an attempt to improve performance, this uses threaded rendering and frameskip. Runs faster, but frameskip..

The second uses citro3d, currently only dual- fullscreen. The game still renders to a paletted buffer, but from there the rendering and scaling of multiple frames is done with citro3d. Which results in uhmm.. more fps.

Attachments

• fallout1-ce-3ds_sdl2.7z
    756.4 KB · Views: 39
  • fallout1-ce-3ds_citro3d.7z
    700.5 KB · Views: 36

0hjah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
I was hoping to be able to push an update earlier, but i'm still running into a few issues so it may take some time. In the meantime, i'd like to share two builds.

The first uses SDL2 software rendering as before, but has a few improvements on various relocated gui elements. And text is readable again while talking. Also, in an attempt to improve performance, this uses threaded rendering and frameskip. Runs faster, but frameskip..

The second uses citro3d, currently only dual- fullscreen. The game still renders to a paletted buffer, but from there the rendering and scaling of multiple frames is done with citro3d. Which results in uhmm.. more fps.
Is it possible to make both of them installable as two different titles for testing purporses?

• Love

Hat-Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am excited to see you work on this. I will be including it in a homebrew showcase on YouTube. Thank you for your hard work!

itsamea3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Very cool prodjekt! I just bought fallout for this! :D i tried to run it but i just get a black screen when i do. I run on the old 3ds.
Post automatically merged:

Very cool prodjekt! I just bought fallout for this! :D i tried to run it but i just get a black screen when i do. I run on the old 3ds.

sxtn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
any1 know why when i run it its just a black screen. running on 3ds xl (old one)

UPD: alright so i tried it on citra and after installing the cia and putting the files (.dat and data folder) in the same directory i have gotten to the point to where it will launch but now i get the error message that it could not find the master datafile.

UPD 2: didnt fix the error but i realised that the installed cia doesnt need the .dat and data folders in the same place for this error message to pop up.

UPD 3: Ran it trough citra and found out that if you put the virtual sdmc in the folder where you keep the .dat and data folder you will get it to run, dont know how this would be used on a real 3ds. guess you would move them using gm9

UPD 4: If you're not using the new 3ds mode in citra it seems to crash without launching at all, with the new 3ds mode it gets past the "please stand by" tv logo but the interplay (?? i think, golden rocket thing) seems to freeze it.

UPD 4.1: Rendering trough Vulkan seems to get a few frames of the golden rocket before freezing but all others seems to give a black screen.

PS. All these try runs were of the installed .cia, the 3dsx file crashes citra and my 3DS when launched trough Homebrew Launcher

Last edited by sxtn,

AmylAmyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any1 know why when i run it its just a black screen. running on 3ds xl (old one)

UPD: alright so i tried it on citra and after installing the cia and putting the files (.dat and data folder) in the same directory i have gotten to the point to where it will launch but now i get the error message that it could not find the master datafile.

UPD 2: didnt fix the error but i realised that the installed cia doesnt need the .dat and data folders in the same place for this error message to pop up.

UPD 3: Ran it trough citra and found out that if you put the virtual sdmc in the folder where you keep the .dat and data folder you will get it to run, dont know how this would be used on a real 3ds. guess you would move them using gm9

UPD 4: If you're not using the new 3ds mode in citra it seems to crash without launching at all, with the new 3ds mode it gets past the "please stand by" tv logo but the interplay (?? i think, golden rocket thing) seems to freeze it.

UPD 4.1: Rendering trough Vulkan seems to get a few frames of the golden rocket before freezing but all others seems to give a black screen.

PS. All these try runs were of the installed .cia, the 3dsx file crashes citra and my 3DS when launched trough Homebrew Launcher
would you be willing to do like a youtube tutorial or something if you know how to get it running just on the console? i keep getting a black screen but i want to get it running on the console itself instead of through citra.

Last edited by AmylAmyl,

sxtn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
would you be willing to do like a youtube tutorial or something if you know how to get it running just on the console? i keep getting a black screen but i want to get it running on the console itself instead of through citra.
I actually dont know how to get it running. I kinda gave up on this n moved on, sorry

Reactions: AmylAmyl

Necronomis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I absolutely adore the work you've done so far. Fallout has been one of my favorite games since the late 90s, and having it on my 3ds would be a dream. I've installed the version on your github, and it's very promising. Talking heads work great, which I was worried about. I am floored by how well you've gotten this to work already, and look forward with serious interest to your progress. Do you have a Patreon? I would be willing to pay to support this project's continued development, and I doubt I'm the only one.

A few things I've noticed so far if you're looking for feedback:

1) I like how the stick moves the camera, but it would be really nice if it moved the mouse around (maybe camera still follows if possible). If we could move mouse with stick, and use face buttons for left vs right click, that would make the controls so much smoother.

2) the absolute positioning of the touchscreen isn't always correct. I notice in dialog a little, but in the options especially, that where I touch the screen does not line up with where the mouse goes. I have no idea how much work goes into that, so no idea if that's even something you can fix.

3) Keeping the toolbelt occupying the entire bottom screen seems ideal outside of dialog or menus, but that would mean you'd want some way to zoom in/out for the top screen. I think you could do away with A swapping between a mirrored screen and the toolbelt, and just let it switch between toolbelt and dialog/menus as you have it doing already.

In general your control scheme is great so far. If you were to implement any of my feedback, I would propose a revised control scheme as follows:
L - left click (hold to drag)
R - right click
Stick - move mouse / move mouse+camera if zoomed in
D-Pad - move map
X - zoom in/out for top screen (if at all possible, also adjust left stick as mouse sensitivity so it's more precise when zoomed in?? wishlist, may not be possible)
Y - open inventory (default hotkey of "I" on keyboard)
A - left click (copying L)
B - open skills (default hotkey of "S" on keyboard)
Start - open menu (default hotkey of "ESC" on keyboard)
Select - end combat/turn (default hotkey of "Space" on keyboard)
ZL - hold to right-click on touchpad (mostly for weapon switching/reloading via touchpad)
ZR - weapon mode switching (same as ZL but using controller instead of touchpad, default hotkey of "N" on keyboard)

I know as of your last update, you were more concerned with performance, which is definitely understandable. I'm just thinking about sitting for an hour or more playing the game, what would feel most comfortable and allow the player to still move relatively quickly and have the interface feel like it was made for a controller.

--EDIT--
Complete brain fart, didn't even consider using C stick for camera movement, freeing up the d-pad for other common hotkeys, like character sheet or pip-boy.

Last edited by Necronomis,

Bran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely adore the work you've done so far. Fallout has been one of my favorite games since the late 90s, and having it on my 3ds would be a dream. I've installed the version on your github, and it's very promising. Talking heads work great, which I was worried about. I am floored by how well you've gotten this to work already, and look forward with serious interest to your progress. Do you have a Patreon? I would be willing to pay to support this project's continued development, and I doubt I'm the only one.

A few things I've noticed so far if you're looking for feedback:

1) I like how the stick moves the camera, but it would be really nice if it moved the mouse around (maybe camera still follows if possible). If we could move mouse with stick, and use face buttons for left vs right click, that would make the controls so much smoother.

2) the absolute positioning of the touchscreen isn't always correct. I notice in dialog a little, but in the options especially, that where I touch the screen does not line up with where the mouse goes. I have no idea how much work goes into that, so no idea if that's even something you can fix.

3) Keeping the toolbelt occupying the entire bottom screen seems ideal outside of dialog or menus, but that would mean you'd want some way to zoom in/out for the top screen. I think you could do away with A swapping between a mirrored screen and the toolbelt, and just let it switch between toolbelt and dialog/menus as you have it doing already.

In general your control scheme is great so far. If you were to implement any of my feedback, I would propose a revised control scheme as follows:
L - left click (hold to drag)
R - right click
Stick - move mouse / move mouse+camera if zoomed in
D-Pad - move map
X - zoom in/out for top screen (if at all possible, also adjust left stick as mouse sensitivity so it's more precise when zoomed in?? wishlist, may not be possible)
Y - open inventory (default hotkey of "I" on keyboard)
A - left click (copying L)
B - open skills (default hotkey of "S" on keyboard)
Start - open menu (default hotkey of "ESC" on keyboard)
Select - end combat/turn (default hotkey of "Space" on keyboard)
ZL - hold to right-click on touchpad (mostly for weapon switching/reloading via touchpad)
ZR - weapon mode switching (same as ZL but using controller instead of touchpad, default hotkey of "N" on keyboard)

I know as of your last update, you were more concerned with performance, which is definitely understandable. I'm just thinking about sitting for an hour or more playing the game, what would feel most comfortable and allow the player to still move relatively quickly and have the interface feel like it was made for a controller.

--EDIT--
Complete brain fart, didn't even consider using C stick for camera movement, freeing up the d-pad for other common hotkeys, like character sheet or pip-boy.
I love putting together gamepad configs on Steam input so seeing this made me want to try making a config for Fallout 1. Here's what I've got on Steam as of right now:
1713134576435.png

I started with Necronomis's described layout and tinkered from there. Of course, the stick clicks aren't available on 3DS so those are set to mostly irrelevant inputs. (I mean I set one to spam the turn character button, LOL.) With the way the 3DS version is set up now, you don't need the keyboard toggle, so I'd swap that to have it make the screen swap between the fullscreen visual and the zoomed in visual the top screen has now. Course, to make this helpful you'd probably want to have the cstick moving the zoomed in view while it's set to zoom in rather than having it move the camera. I would also at that point swap the quicksave button on the dpad to be the home on character button while zoomed out and make it a home on cursor when zoomed in. With everything set that way it should be possible to somewhat reasonably comfortably play the whole game without touching the touch pad at all should you not want to for whatever reason *I think*. (Note: The only thing I set that did not have its keyboard input made clear in the image is I've set it to holding the end turn/combat button to input ctrl + M which allows you to end combat when safe from enemies.)
Sorry for such a rambling post, wanted to get all my thoughts/details in.
Very excited to see where this project goes in the future, It's incredible how well it already works!

Necronomis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a video tutorial? Like on yt or smth? I can’t figure it out
I don't think there's anything more than what's on the github, I've certainly seen no videos. I imagine there won't be until it's in a fully playable state, which is likely a ways off. If you wanted to share the file structure on your SD card, though, I'm assuming that's where the problem lies and one of us who has gotten it working can probably help you sort it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto